PDA

View Full Version : best thing about the job

It's a small world
25-06-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi

Just been having a nosey around the forum and was wondering do you all really love the job or is it just a suitable job as have own children and no family near by or childcare costly ....blah blah.. noticed a few people get excited by the weekend but guess that's the same in any job.. I'm pre reg and hoping to be reg v. soon just waiting for social services ..have to chase again tomorrow taking it's time :yawning:

Just intersted what people think about their jobs and what they like and dislike (paperwork doesn't count as I know ..believe me I know there's a lot. lol..and I haven't even started yet...hubbby thinks I'm having an affair with the computer lol..and thinks we should buy bigger house so we can have a room just for the paperwork :laughing: )

Be interested in everyones feedback.. :group hug:

cher25
25-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I love the job! Don't have my own children yet, but as far back as i can remember all i wanted to do was work with children.
Tried nursery work and didn't like it. I don't mind working in school's. But loved the idea of not having to go out to work and still live my dream of working with children. :)

fionamal
25-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Love the job although have o admit that it would be better if we didnt have the parents to deal with :laughing:

I love the fact that we can go to the park/beach and still be working. What other job do u get paid to have fun?

It's a small world
25-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I've been out of work for almost 2 years as had problems getting old job back after having youngest...We love going to the park, farm, feed the ducks, go to playgroups...We don't have family nearby and other jobs would mean all my wages would go on childcare..hence becoming a childminder.
It's great though as I can take my eldest to and from school and be there during the holidays and get to be around for both my boys. Still keep in touc with old work colleagues who are mates and they say how well I am looking told them not stuck in the office and getting loads of fresh air with my boys and enjoying the sun it's great (probably looked a little haggered when start childminding lol) but I'm really looking forward to it. Just trying to make sure I have all the paper work I need..could do with a list of forms and files needed etc I'm sure I've missed something out !!!!!

Thanks for your replies hope to get some more...it's nice to know I am doing the right thing..actually don't think I could go back to an office job now :laughing:

charleyfarley
25-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Best part about the job?

Going home time after today :laughing:

Can you tell I've had a bad day :rolleyes:

Carol xx

Bananabrain
25-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Bit of a love -hate thing really:laughing:

In an ideal world I would like to be a primary teacher or educational psychologist.

I did start on the road to a teaching degree,but I simply can't afford to take time out to study as those bills keep on-a coming.

I love the children and the fact that I feel I am influencing their lives and hopefully enriching them. I also love building relationships with lovely children and families.

It has been a huge learning curve for me and for the first time in my life I feel I have some self-esteem.{the reason I didn't train to be a teacher when I was young is because my mother said I wasn't good enough. but that's another story}

I have seen how other people live their lives and bring up their children and realised that actually I'm a fab mum!!!!

I have had some very difficult parents and some of them continue to do my crust in on a daily basis:laughing: but I wouldn't change it for the world right now.

I think I am in this for the long haul and I'm on a mission to get 'outstanding'
next year as I've also realised there are some completely pants childminders out there!

Thanks to this wonderful forum{I'd be lost without all the fabulous support on here} I reckon this is me for a while yet.

Louise_Oaktree
25-06-2009, 08:38 PM
The best bits have to be the kids :D Even the tricky ones have those "awwww" moments :littleangel:

Worst bit has to be parents :angry:

I wouldn't go back to working for someone else, being your own boss and playing all day but still being able to put the washing machine on - brill!

Paperwork is fine once you get used to it, but then it changes again lol :laughing:

grindal
25-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi
I only started a couple of months ago, but for me it is the fact that I am trusted by another parents 10 month old and get to play with her and my 2 boys all day long at home whilst being paid :clapping: :clapping:

ajs
25-06-2009, 08:59 PM
the best bits for me
are the little ones putting their hands into mine when walking along
the two year calling me while i was making her breakfast this morning and said mandy i love you
the fabulous families i work with ( even being included in the birth of the baby i care for)
the fact that i can have friends round and sit in my garden while i am still being paid
that i can go to my daughter's sport's day with the mindees

the fact that if i wasn't a childminder i would never have joined this forum

there are a few bad parts to the job but the good points certainly outweigh the bad

mrs c
26-06-2009, 06:22 AM
My own have grown now - my youngest is 16 but I love having little ones around as I know how good I am with children. I love having them run to me for hugs and enjoy their chatter.
I managed to get outstanding on my last inspection and think what clinched this was how well I interacted with my mindees. My previous inspection had been good and after seeing a childminder who was pants with children get an outstanding I thought I would really try hard for that grade. The paperwork side of things was made possible through this forum.
Parents and paperwork can be a downside to this job but there are so many wow moments with the children that make it satisfying.

Cammie Doodle
26-06-2009, 06:35 AM
The Children are the best. I love my job, I did start it to work around my Son and Foster Children, but they are all grown up now and I'm still doing it , so that must say something about the job. Paperwork is the worst part, but once you have a system going that gets easier too.

margimum
26-06-2009, 06:48 AM
I started when my ds was tiny as a temporary thing before going into teacher training but found my perfect job!! He is now 18!! I hope I can still be minding when I am 70!
Rules and regulations have changed so much but you just have to continue to be an enthusiastic, enerjetic caring (mum) who has nothing more urgent to do than play and have fun,
Paperwork is the least of my priorities but I am lucky in that I can do it when I put my mind to it, and I don't get stressed out about it.
I earned £27.50 when I started minding but now I earn an actual living wage for doing something I love! And get more hugs and kisses in a day than any1 else I know! (Better stop now before I get too sloppyX)

Roseolivia
26-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Sometimes i find it hard especially when the kids have no respect sometimes. I started minding when i was made redundant while pregnant and i didn't want to go 'out to work'. This job means i'm always with Rose, when she starts nursery i'll be able to take her. I love the fact i can do what i want when i want. I hate all the paperwork stuff and the fact my house is always messy and the kids don't respect it.

Daftbat
26-06-2009, 07:12 AM
I think it is one of the hardest jobs in the world but also the most instantly rewarding one. No other job provides instant feedback about how you are doing. Children smiling, having fun and impromptu cuddles make it all worth while - even dealing with parents who can sometimes be very trying.

Yes I have bad days but at least the boss isn't on my back. I can take my holidays when I want to and spend the summer holidays on picnics etc rather than sat behind a desk with the telephone in my hand.

I am constantly shattered but wouldn't change it:D

tigger
26-06-2009, 08:58 AM
For me the best thing about the job is being able to be around for my children (not that they want me to be sometimes!) I love being able to do fun things with the minded children and if we would like an easy day we can have one. I like being my own boss and deciding when I work.
Not so good is trying to keep on top of paperwork (not being the most organised of people) and trying to keep on top of my housework! I have a clean freak of a dh who likes everything just so.

Chatterbox Childcare
26-06-2009, 09:45 AM
I love everything about my job - including the paperwork as it gives me purpose
I like the fun times we have, being able to take off when we want, do what we want and have no restrictions, apart from school runs

I like the professional status if gives me

I like the friends I have made

I wouldn't do anything else now BUT I do love the weekends as I need to be able to sit down! (computer time doesn't count of course!)

Pudding Girl
26-06-2009, 09:47 AM
I am a childminder entirely by choice, my own kids are teenagers. I didn't do it as a form of free childcare or something to tide me over. It's a career for me.

The best thing about this job for me is when you are treated like a special aunty by the families, lots of cuddles, and when they see you out of hours running upto you in the street for a hug, invited to bday parties and remember your birthday that kind of thing.

Worst thing is when they leave of course, and when you are stuck inside on an awful day with grouchy kids who have no interest in doing anything remotely exciting :panic:

newandlearning
26-06-2009, 01:43 PM
all in all I really love the kids I childmind.. its been the best career
move I've made in years.. its lovely hearing them have their little
conversations with one another.. everyone has a very close relationship
with each other in my setting.. its great!

of course.. we all have good and bad days but fundamentally
I really enjoy what I am doing.. I started this so I could stay at
home with my own children.. but in an odd way my mindees have
become extended family to me and my kids.

it took me along time to get my paperwork set up but now am so
am getting a lot more me time than before..

mabel
26-06-2009, 03:12 PM
me too, mine are teenagers and 14 years on still doing !
The job changes continually...........you can never get bored as the
day goues so quickley, I love doing all my planning, today we have built
a fantastic 3d jungle ...I suprise myself sometimes as I get so involved!

Daddy Day Care
26-06-2009, 03:21 PM
I love the fact that I get to spend most of the day with a bunch of fabulous women.

Then I get home and spend time with a another bunch of fabulous women (you lot) :blush: :blush: :blush:

Gareth
xx

The Juggler
26-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Bit of a love -hate thing really:laughing:

In an ideal world I would like to be a primary teacher or educational psychologist.

I did start on the road to a teaching degree,but I simply can't afford to take time out to study as those bills keep on-a coming.

I love the children and the fact that I feel I am influencing their lives and hopefully enriching them. I also love building relationships with lovely children and families.

It has been a huge learning curve for me and for the first time in my life I feel I have some self-esteem.{the reason I didn't train to be a teacher when I was young is because my mother said I wasn't good enough. but that's another story}

I have seen how other people live their lives and bring up their children and realised that actually I'm a fab mum!!!!

I have had some very difficult parents and some of them continue to do my crust in on a daily basis:laughing: but I wouldn't change it for the world right now.

I think I am in this for the long haul and I'm on a mission to get 'outstanding'
next year as I've also realised there are some completely pants childminders out there!

Thanks to this wonderful forum{I'd be lost without all the fabulous support on here} I reckon this is me for a while yet.

I started out as best thing for my kids/childcare/hated job but always want to try to do my best at at everything I do. I wondered how I'd like it after both mine went to full-time school but I loved it. Mindees far better behaved than my own two which was delightful. I am now fascinated by how children learn and providing new experiences for them. EYFS although paper heavy has made that even better. We're hardly indoors now and I love that.

Yes, there's ups and downs. Long day and tea for 7 is made and I'm exhausted by 6 some days and still have to do paperwork and tidying but its lovely. Like you planning to do something different when finished my degree but definitely won't leave childcare now.