PDA

View Full Version : How much to charge for a retainer?

JOANNE
17-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Hi
I have been asked to mind a child from October this year, i need to ask the parents for a retainer, but i am unsure how much to ask for without scaring them off, i have explained to them that obviously i need to charge a retainer for the time and they are happy enough with this.
I don`t know how to go about it, do i charge a set amount for the duration or do i charge so much a week until the child starts?

thanks for any replies :)

lindylou
17-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Its entirely up to you i personally do not charge one but if i did i would probably just take 25 pounds per week but then i am a bit of a soft touch .
Also i fill places up really quickly and always have a waiting list i have one booked in for september i have not charged a retainer the child it is replacing is leaving to go to full time school end of august .
I would see what some of the other girls charge before you make a decision
Linxx

Twinkles
17-02-2008, 12:38 PM
I would probably ask for a deposit rather than a retainer but everyone runs their business differently.

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't charge retainers but if you decide to it should omly be if you are saving the place not if you do not have a vacancy.

Most minders that I know that do charge a retainer charge half fee but that is entirely up to you

If i was saving a place for a long time ahead then I might charge a deposit which I would take off the first fees when the place was taken up but if the parent let me down I would keep the deposit

It really is up to you to decide what to do - your business you make the rules

Good luck
Miffy xx

LittleMissSparkles
17-02-2008, 02:03 PM
I have a baby of 9 months starting in Sept and have charged a retainer fee to hold the place as potentially I would be losing 6 months of fees if someone else wanted the place iyswim and I had another family interested in it as only have one place available. I worked out a retainer based on 50% of what the fees would be and then halved it again as it was a huge amount to expect anyone to pay xxx

angeldelight
17-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I think its up to you what you want to do

I never charge a retainer just a none refundable deposit

Angel xx

JOANNE
19-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks everyone, its given me something to work on :)
Jo x