PDA

View Full Version : Photograph Permissions

Blue Boy
25-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Hi ya all, I have just been reading the latest edition of Nursery World and cam across an article on page 14 entitled "Is it time to ban cameras"? this is all surrounding the incident in a Plymouth Nursery.

Personally I dont think we should ban cameras they are now an every day part of a childminders' life and a valuable tool. The one thing that went throught my mind as I was reading the article was. when a parent first entrusts their child with us we get them to sign a permissions form to enable us to take photographs whilst they are in our care. The relevant words are "Whilst in our care". Shouild we then get the parents to sign another permissions form when they leave our settings, thus giving us permission to display photographs in our portfolios?

I dont know if there is a right or wrong answer to the question I suppose it is down to the individiual.

I look forward to hearing everyone's views.

love
Mick
Childminders' Rule :thumbsup:

tulip0803
25-06-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a list of tick boxes so that the parents can decide where I can use photos. I have a similar one for video as I had to use video on a course I did last year. i have parents that have only ticked certain boxes and I make sure which are ticked before I do anything.

Photographs to be taken.
I/we give permission for the childminder, ________, or a person nominated by the childminder, to take photos of the named child for the reasons indicated below:
to record the child(ren)’s daily routine
to record the child(ren)’s development
to share with the child’s parents
the childminder’s own album
the childminder’s coursework
the childminder’s promotional literature
the childminder’s website
the childminder’s newsletter
the NCMA website
NCMA publications, such as Who Minds?
other publications, such as the local newspaper
other organisations’ websites
childminding network publicity/displays
promotional literature of other organisations(such as the local childminding group or childminding network)
childminding network website

I don't state whilst in my care

manjay
25-06-2009, 03:38 PM
Not really thought about this one as I haven't had anyone leave:rolleyes: I use the NCMA one and it doesn't actually say "whilst in my care". It covers everything from my portfolio, website, coursework etc. I generally don't have face pictures in my promotional stuff but if I did I would probably remove pictures of children once they have left.

PixiePetal
25-06-2009, 03:39 PM
My permission form says where i can use the pics - in obs file, local paper, to share with other mindees (group photos) CM group advertising, etc. Parents tick/delete the ones I am allowed them for, or not.

sarah707
25-06-2009, 04:58 PM
I pass most photos back when children leave and of course they take their learning journeys with them.

Ofsted aren't interested in ones that have left, they want to know about ongoing children... though there are photos in my album of activities we've enjoyed as a group etc to show evidence of things we do.

If I know they are coming back to visit I do leave the odd ones up for them to see with parents permission.

I suppose after the dreadful happenings in Plymouth there will be some knee jerk reactions to camera use, but I agree Mick they are a very valuable tool when used properly.

Blackhorse
25-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I am always angry of one person somewhere does something inapropriate and suddnly everyone else is facing restrictions because of it...
would be the same if now we were restricted with taken pictures.

My thoughts to this are:
most of the people who get permissions for things will probably respect them and are not up to all sorts, but someone who wants to break the law like that awful person in plymouth would probably still take inapropriate pictures of the children even if all photography would be banned....

I like tulips version of the permission form.
I guess you could even add..
photos can be kept after child leaves setting to be doubly sure!