PDA

View Full Version : STARTING OUT EXPENSES

tinytigers
17-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi

I was just wondering whether any setting up expenditure ie stair gates, stationary, petrol going to ICP and first aid courses, etc can go as expenses from your first income when you start?

The grant in my area only covers the first years public liability insurance and 12 months NCMA membership.

Thanks

Jane

LittleMissSparkles
17-02-2008, 10:38 AM
yes anything you buy for minding before actually starting is ok to put through your books, I didnt know this when i started and didnt keep receipts etc xxx

sarah707
17-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Write down every single penny you spend on anything to do with childminding, as you spend it in a little book... when you get your accounts papers you can write it all in... you can then take it off your income when you start earning

There is a sticky on this thread that gives ideas for some of the things you can claim - I'm sure there are also many more :D

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:41 PM
You don't have to keep receipts for items costing under £10 unless you buy a lot of smaller items at the same time that add up to more than £10

but I find it a good idea to keep receipts for everything as I often forget to put small items down. I keep them all in an envelope (one for each month) and then put them onto my accounts book

Miffy xx

tulip0803
17-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been told by the NCMA in Wales that anything I buy I can claim for :) but I cannot claim the mileage for courses etc until I have my certificate :( .
Apparantly Mileage cannot be claimed until you are a registered business. Shame cos I have to keep going to the CSSIW building in person!

Juliaxx

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:54 PM
I've been told by the NCMA in Wales that anything I buy I can claim for :) but I cannot claim the mileage for courses etc until I have my certificate :( .
Apparantly Mileage cannot be claimed until you are a registered business. Shame cos I have to keep going to the CSSIW building in person!

Juliaxx

Sorry but i'd just keep a note of the mileage and put it through as something else (like an outing) later - as far as I'm concerned that is genuine for the business and you should be able to claim it

Miffy xx

manjay
17-02-2008, 01:56 PM

Juliaxx

CSSIW told me to claim for mileage right from the initial information meeting!

amanda xx

tulip0803
17-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry but i'd just keep a note of the mileage and put it through as something else (like an outing) later - as far as I'm concerned that is genuine for the business and you should be able to claim it

Miffy xx

Thanks :) .I hadn't thought of that for the courses but had to go 25miles to get that double buggy from Argos so had planned a "trip" there. Don't know why my brain hadn't thought of that with the courses etc.:doh: Apparantly it's a family trait from my mother's side.!!!!!11:laughing:

JuliaXX

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:59 PM
That's good then sounds as if CSSIW are as consistent as Ofsted

Miffy xx

tulip0803
17-02-2008, 02:00 PM
CSSIW told me to claim for mileage right from the initial information meeting!

amanda xx

So it isn't just OFSTED who can't decide what everyone should do! Just not quite so bad.

Julia xx