PDA

View Full Version : Socket Covers & Fatally Flawed Website

jessie1
24-06-2009, 09:18 PM
Hi

I am just updating my Risk Assessment and when the Inspector was out here last I mentioned to her that I will not be using Socket covers and referred to the website www.fatallyflawed.org.uk She said she heard about that and have no problem but wanted to know how I would then keep the children safe.

Can someone tell me in proper English what to write in my risk assessment please? Pretty Please? Like how would I prevent kids messing with the sockets. Even if it is safe.

Thanks in advance

ZoeAlli
24-06-2009, 09:47 PM
HI
Don't know how you could write this into your RA but, I have recently spoken to the safety chief of the fire brigade in our area(wanted some advice concerning escape routes and happened to mention about ofsted inspectors). He said that the socket covers were a waste of time as in order to get an electric shock from a socket you needed two points of contact in it and generally children's fingers are too big to fit. He also said that the week following our chat the he was going to speak with and do some training with some Ofsted inspectors!! I don't know the outcome of that meeting!!
To validate this information you could always ring your local fire safety officer and double check, then as part of your risk assessment put this advice in as checked off with a safety professional, date it, and put the name of the person you spoke to plus contact number.

Hope this is helpful.:blush:
Zoe

jessie1
24-06-2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Zoe,

been trying to get fire safety officers out for 2 months now.... Will try again in the morning...
I know that there fingers cant do anything but they can use a pin, pen or something sharp if you know what i mean. I tried telling the inspector that I will obviously always make sure that they dont have any sharp object too hand in order for it not too happen. I also mentioned that if there are particular sockets that they tend to want to play with always I will cover it with furniture or something... She didnt look too pleased.

sarah707
25-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I am not 100% sure how I can prove that a child would be safer without a socket cover than with ... so mine are still there for now. I am waiting for the powers that be to decide once and for all what we should do for the best. :D

Daftbat
25-06-2009, 07:00 AM
How about the fact that older children can be educated verbally and that younger children are supervised anyway.

If you were really concerned a piece of furntiure in front of a socket could help but i would have thought good old fashioned supervision and education were enough. If the inspector has looked at the video they will understand how the built in safety features anyway.