PDA

View Full Version : how many weeks holiday a year do you take?

julie w
24-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi, I know this question must have been asked before, but how many weeks holiday do you take for yourself a year.?I charge half rate for my hols, though I do stress to parents that I try to keep my fees quite low the rest of the time. I had a week off the May half term and I am taking 2 weeks in August. I've been thinking about possibly having the full 2 weeks off at Christmas/New year, but feel guilty as this will be difficult for a couple of parents. Do you think 5 weeks is too much? Thanks for your advice.xx.:thumbsup:

TheBTeam
24-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I take two weeks off in the summer and go away on holiday, and then i do not work between christmas and the new year, but that is it! And I am made to feel guilty for that!

miss mopple
24-06-2009, 08:19 PM
4 weeks for me

1 at easter
2 in the school summer hols
1 at christmas

never had any parents complain yet luckily :)

ZoeAlli
24-06-2009, 09:26 PM
HI, I have written into my contract that I take 1 week- october half term
2 weeks -Christmas
1 week- August
I also take bank holidays off, but will work them at extra charges. I charge half fee for my holidays as I feel that if I was employed I would be entitled to paid holiday, and after all don't we deserve it?!!

Zoe

ORKSIE
24-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I have a week in summer and then what ever days i not needed by anyone throughout the year.

Bushpig
24-06-2009, 11:56 PM
In 2008 I had 2 weeks, in 2009 it'll be 5 weeks. That's just the way it's happened.

rickysmiths
25-06-2009, 11:48 AM
NCMA recommend that all childminders have a least 4 weeks a year. If you are employed the minimum employers are allowed to give their empolyees is 25 days but that can include the Bank Holidays.

Now I know we are not employed. However we all do an extremly physically and mentally demanding job. I don't know about others but I am shattered at the end of the week. I am going on my summer holiday in approx 3 weeks and I can't wait!

I take five weeks a year now. 2 weeks in the summer holidays (dh is a teacher and we have 2 still at school), a week for one of the half terms or at Easter, fill inbetween Christmas and New year and then long weekends in the half terms that are left. This way I have short breaks through the year to look forward to. I originally did it this way when my two were little so I could spend some time with them each holiday.

Mollymop
25-06-2009, 11:54 AM
I take 2 weeks at xmas,
2 weeks summer
1 week at easter.

= 5 weeks, but works out about 4 due to all the bank hols at xmas and easter. xx

TheBTeam
25-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I am going to try next year and have four weeks, one at the october half term as the weather is often nice then, two in the summer and one at christmas, i am now thinking if parents don't like it is tough!

I will not ask to be paid for the time (will raise my rates where poss instead) the tight parents can have their bank holidays for free, and that way i will not feel beholden to any of them and if i cant do it and am not being paid it is then there choice whether to pay for other childcare or stay and for once look after their own child!

I am fed up of being made to feel guilty for so much as wanting a day off, everyone of my parents at the moment are only happy with the one way traffic, and as soon as i ask for something they don't like it, well the bee will start to sting!:eek: :angry: :laughing:

I am sure that parents see a weakness and push it, i am therefore vowing to toughen up!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :laughing:

Blaze
25-06-2009, 11:58 AM
I have in my contract up to 6 weeks (used to be 4)...I don't get paid for my hols...& have NEVER taken more than 3...I have six to allow for holiday time & the odd day off here & there for hospital/dental/training on top of time off IYSWIM!:)