PDA

View Full Version : Want some advice

Baildon bears
24-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Had a call today from a parent wanting care for 3 days, but not til next april, said i could not garantee a place that far in advance, but she was really determined that she wanted a place with me as friends child comes to me, said i would have to charge a retainer as i will have a full time space in sepember, explained how retainer worked and she was happy to pay, not sure what to do, dont like taking money of people when doing nothing and also its a bit of a gample incase any one else comes after september as they always do and i will get full pay instead of half from retainer. Also she lives out of my area and i said she needs to think about local schools.:eek:

Roseolivia
24-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't think i'd take a retainer as it's a long way ahead. just tell her to come see you nearer the time but that a space isn't guaranteed.

Chimps Childminding
24-06-2009, 05:57 PM
I don't think i'd take a retainer as it's a long way ahead. just tell her to come see you nearer the time but that a space isn't guaranteed.

I agree - april is a long time away, and anything can happen between now and then! I wouldn't be happy taking money for that long, plus like you say, you could end up losing out if someone wants you in the meantime!!

MissTinkerbell
24-06-2009, 06:01 PM
I agree too - April is 10 months away and you never know what is around the corner. Just think how annoyed you'd be if someone phoned and said they wanted a full time space from Sept.

I'd tell her that its a long way away to hold a place and ask her to phone you in 6 months time and that if you still have the space she can have it.

Pudding Girl
24-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Yup would be too far for me, as you say someone may come along and pay full price for that space! Also things change, what if friend gives notice? Then the other one may not want to take up space and you'd have lost out on half your money.

georgie456
24-06-2009, 06:16 PM
I only charge a retainer for a maximum of 12 weeks.

If it was me I would be telling her to contact me after Christmas and that you can discuss retainers at that point if the space is still there.

misst104
24-06-2009, 06:32 PM
I only charge a retainer for a maximum of 12 weeks.

If it was me I would be telling her to contact me after Christmas and that you can discuss retainers at that point if the space is still there.

Thats what I would do too!! :)

xxx jo

Baildon bears
24-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks for advice everyone, you have just confirmed what i was thinking, so much easier to give someone else advice, get really confused about my own problems. Hannah

jibberjitz
25-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Thats what I would do too!! :)

xxx jo

I agree, much too far in advance to even contemplate! I can think much beyond next week:laughing:

The Juggler
25-06-2009, 12:19 PM
also, is it a baby? If she hasn't had baby yet you can't take a retainer - I think? So you you could use that as an excuse if she is persistent.