PDA

View Full Version : SATS part 2.....

venus89
24-06-2009, 03:52 PM
So my daughter came back from school today and said she'd resat 2 of her SATS today. Apparently in both the morning and the afternoon she was taken out of class to redo the writing (?) one and asked the teacher in the afternoon why this was. The teacher said she'd done above average in the other two (one two years above her age group and one one year above her age group) and they wanted her to do as well in this one (originally one year above her age group, I don't know about now....)

What?!

Nobody else redid any.

Not only does this seem grossly unfair on the other kids it's also downright odd. And whilst I'm glad they're trying to help my daughter do her best, I'm a bit surprised how hot on the heels this comes of me asking the teacher yesterday afternoon if i could have a copy of the results and her telling me number 3 hadn't been marked yet but she'd share when it was marked......

:huh:

Bananabrain
24-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Very odd indeed.

I'd go in tomorrow and find out what's going on. My son did his in May and I'm not holding my breath as last year was such a mess { schools waiting 'til Oct for the results etc}

I'm under the impression that we will get the results in their reports in a few weeks. I jolly well hope so because I will not be happy if not.

My son had to do xtra tests last week to see which sets he will be in in Sept.
So he has been tested 3 times this year. Not happy at all.

Be interested to know how you get on.

FizzysFriends
24-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Thats odd. Sats don't mean anything round here, there sets are chosen before they even do the sats.

devoncm
24-06-2009, 09:10 PM
My dd's school do sats and get put in a class depending on their results

venus89
25-06-2009, 01:58 PM
These are the voluntary Sats (my daughter's Year 3) marked internally by her teacher and I think they just use them to monitor the progress of the children and assess how well they're doing. probably also to give a guidance as to groups (they're grouped in ability groups for their work).

I explained to the teacher the other day that we wanted to use the sats results to show to the local prep school if they were any good as we're looking for a scholarship after primary to bridge the two years she'll have to wait to get to the local grammar school.... I guess it's because of that?