PDA

View Full Version : Head... bang... brick wall... HARD

venus89
24-06-2009, 10:05 AM
Probably having an exceptionally bad childminder moment here.....

My nearly 3 year old mindee kindly brought in some raspberries and some strawberries with her today, in separate packs, which Mum put on the back of the sofa. I asked her what she'd like for snack and she said 'strawberries' so I asked her to bring me them. She brought the raspberries. So I said 'they're not strawberries, they're raspberries'. I've got her to look at them and tell me what they are 'raspberries' but every time I ask her 'where are the strawberries?' she points at the raspberries....

So I suggest she tries looking in the bag on the sofa and she comes back with them. 'What are those?' 'Strawberries'. 'Briliant! So... where are the strawberries?' - she goes intot he kitchen and points at the raspberries.... And so it goes on.

I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall. So frustrating. I sent her off to play for five minutes because I can feel myself getting quite narked with the whole thing :panic:

sarah707
24-06-2009, 10:11 AM
:laughing: Just call them all berries and get the ice cream out! :laughing:

venus89
24-06-2009, 10:15 AM
:laughing: Just call them all berries and get the ice cream out! :laughing:

:laughing: Now that would have made life easier :laughing:
She came for a cuddle and I turned the question around - where are the raspberries? Good, so where are the strawberries?...... GOOD :clapping:

TheBTeam
24-06-2009, 11:44 AM
No ideas on how to solve this one, but it made me laugh! Funny the little thinkgs that nark us, I am a bit the same!

My thing at the moment is how many times in a 2 hour period is it necessary to tell an 11 year old to stop jumping all over the baby slide!

PixiePetal
24-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Or when you ask a 4 year old to bring a toy car to you and they ask 'where is it?' reply - 'by your foot' and he looks all around the room :rolleyes:

Where were his feet last time he looked :laughing: :rolleyes:

huggableshelly
24-06-2009, 12:50 PM
my youngest is becoming ... umm annoying lets say lol

everything I talk she says "what" and when i repeat is she says "what" again over and over.
i'm getting the the stage where I do not want to talk as she will just respond with "what" no matter how slowly i say it.

sighs another phase to tick off lol

Helen79
24-06-2009, 01:04 PM
my dd goes through phases of doing this. I've stopped repeating myself now & 9 times out of 10 she has actually heard what I've said but it's just a habit of saying 'what'

venus89
24-06-2009, 01:26 PM
I hate to tell you this but my stepdaughter does a slightly more grown up version of that and she's almost 10! It's a lazy way of thinking in her case - rather than trying to recall what she's been told or actively listening she'll ask us the question again so she gets the answer again (or doesn't, in my case).

Saranotts
24-06-2009, 01:29 PM
On some days it drives you crazy, doesn't it! One of my lo is nearly three and his favourite thing is asking "WHY" and it doesn't matter how many times and how many different ways I answer, he still comes back with "WHY". Agggghhhhh it makes my head hurt...lol.

Sara

PixiePetal
24-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a just 2 year old with fantastic speech.

Recently he has started replying to my requests/suggestions with a question :rolleyes:

Such as - 'J would you like to play with the ball?' Reply - 'can I?' 'shall we?' etc. really annoying, right tone of voice too with voice going up at the end and always a two word question

venus89
24-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Yep... the strawberry girl is nearl 3 as well and deeply into the 'whys'. But do they ever listen to the answer?!

The Juggler
24-06-2009, 01:37 PM
:laughing: Now that would have made life easier :laughing:
She came for a cuddle and I turned the question around - where are the raspberries? Good, so where are the strawberries?...... GOOD :clapping:

Often works. children often have the ability to identify things correctly before they can verbalise the correct labels - even though they know. Same with colours and shapes.

Lucky you getting brought such yummy treats!

ps, anyone a fan of QI (Stephen Fry). Neither rasberries or strawberries are berries but bananas, tomatores and kiwi fruit are - ha, ha! try explaining that to the children.... apparently strawberries etc have droop sacs and berries are fruit containing their seeds inside themselves!