PDA

View Full Version : Keeping children clean

claireodon
24-06-2009, 10:04 AM
Hi, this is a really silly question but as I have had to change my 22 month old daughter again this morning (every meal ends up all over her!!), I am wondering what everyone does about keeping mindees clean at mealtimes and during play? I have bibs for meals and aprons for painting and playing in water but my children still end up soaking wet or messy every day :laughing: Assuming I would need to ask parents to provide a change of clothes but do you find that parents mind if their kids get in a mess? At the nursery my daughters used to go to they would have the babies stripped off down to their nappies to do painting - is this ok?

singlewiththree
24-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I tell my parents your children WILL get very dirty so please send them in clothes that don't matter. They also bring spares. I use fabric aprons for meal times, the kind that are long and cover their knees, I have waterproof aprons for painting and wet play but they ALWAYS go home muddy and dirty :) Its called being children. I'm lucky in my parents don't seem to mind, well they don't moan anyway!

her8y
24-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I tell my parents your children WILL get very dirty so please send them in clothes that don't matter. They also bring spares. I use fabric aprons for meal times, the kind that are long and cover their knees, I have waterproof aprons for painting and wet play but they ALWAYS go home muddy and dirty :) Its called being children. I'm lucky in my parents don't seem to mind, well they don't moan anyway!

Eaxctly the same here. I always say please bring children dressed for messy play! I use aprons but to be honest sometimes if it is spontaneous I dont stop their creativity to pop on an apron. Just make it clear to parents. Mine all dont mind and say it shows they have had a grat time.

Chell
24-06-2009, 10:41 AM
As a parent I tend to think that if they are messy it is a sign that they've had fun. I'd rather my children came home looking like they've been busy rather than pristine and clean. DD goes to nursery wearing cheap t-shirts, if they get dirty then it isn't a problem.

I was a little annoyed that my son came home school yesterday with his shirt covered in paint, he said he wasn't told to wear an apron! It wouldn't wash out, I had to bin it.

chewy sweets
24-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes i;'d say the same. Ask parents to send children in not best clothes and to bring a spare change of clothing!:D

grindal
24-06-2009, 12:29 PM
My mindees mum was fine about ending up messy when i spoke to her ar settling in sessions - but now Dad drops off and collects her and there is obvious disapproval when she is messy. I say things like - we both got covered in banana at snack time, and he says - did she have a bib on?:panic: :panic:
Sometimes I put one of DSs t shirts over her for the day, and the other day I washed her clothes as she had been crawling in the park and was filthy - but had a great time :laughing:
I would confront the issue - but she is going in 3 weeks time, so I will put up with it :cool:

huggableshelly
24-06-2009, 12:32 PM
i request spare clothes, parents know their children are here to have fun and get messy so most send them here in scruffs.

one parent provides spares which are also scruffs then when she picks up she changes her child again into "nicer" clothes ready for her school run routine!

AliceK
24-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I agree. My son used to come home from nursery with mud / paint / crayons on his clothes, the manager always used to apologise and was always suprised when I said "Oh don't worry it'll wash out, shows he's had a good time" apparently lots of other mums used to complain if their children got dirty :rolleyes: . My daughter aged 21mths looks filthy within about 3hrs from getting dressed in the morning, usually because she's being playing in the garden. I take her on the school run in the morning looking all neat and clean and by the time we go for pick up at 3pm she looks like she hasn't been washed in a week :laughing: . Kids have to be able to get a bit dirty.

xxxxxxx

estrelas
24-06-2009, 12:33 PM
mine leave a spare set of clothes here, old ones, if we are doing really messy things i get them changed first, if they go home dirty none of mine mind really as it shows that they are having a good time!

I used to love picking my daughter up when she was all messy, in fact I used to be more concerned when she came back clean!