PDA

View Full Version : cold sores

emmadines
23-06-2009, 03:34 PM
one of the mindees has two cold sores on his top lip, its not impatigo, but what should I do other then constant hand washing etc but is there anything else as I dont fancy catching them (never had one in my life and dont want to start!!)

I have spoken to mum and all I get is its in the blood as so n so hasnt ever had them... I was under the impression that its through contact that you catch them.

Hebs
23-06-2009, 03:52 PM
yes you can catch them, i suffer from them and as soon as i feel "the tingle" i won't kiss my kids

also don't share cups/towels/knife and forks etc

:thumbsup:

Demonjill
23-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Funnily enough my DS woke up today with crusty blisters on his chin:eek:

Took him to doc who said it was oral herpes (cold sore)
He has cream and ive to keep checking inside his mouth for ones inside.
They are highly contagious and no contact is allowed.
He is to use his own towels and flannels and stay away from nursery till the scab over a bit more.

balloon
23-06-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi hun

The herpes simplex virus lies dormant in your body but occasionally 'awakens' and causes cold sores, this could be what your mindees mum means by 'in the blood'. They are highly contagious.

Good easy to understand info here: http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_body/skin_stuff/cold_sores.html#

Hope that helps

Twinkles
23-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Nasty things they are too :panic: Could you get his mum to provide some tea tree oil gell ? This helps to clear them up quickly.

emmadines
23-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I thought about asking her to provide something for them, i think shes just letting it run its course

Deb
23-06-2009, 09:09 PM
have you checked the exclusion list? I dont think child should attend until they crust over.

emmadines
24-06-2009, 06:03 AM
didnt know there was an actual list for exclusions, i just thought it was just the obviouse - sickness and diorrea etc

balloon
24-06-2009, 07:14 AM
If I've done this right there should be an attachment of diseases and exclusions periods attached...

There is no exclusion period for cold sores

emmadines
24-06-2009, 08:32 AM
If I've done this right there should be an attachment of diseases and exclusions periods attached...

There is no exclusion period for cold sores

Thankyou
x