PDA

View Full Version : mom whats a phone call evertime baby had an accident.

TRACEY1969
23-06-2009, 02:34 PM
:eek: :eek: the little one had an accident Thursday he swung my door and caught his little fingers underneath it and bang his head. It sounds quite bad but everything was ok and i put it in the accident book. There was no bruising to his head and his fingers had a little grazing to them. Came to read moms book and she states she wants a phone call or text from now on on every inccident that occurs, he has just turned 1 and not walking yet. I'm not happy with this am i wrong in feeling like this.

Louise_Oaktree
23-06-2009, 02:38 PM
I have some parents like this - but it's with a baby sleeping pattern - they want me to text them when he's gone off to sleep :eek: I ignored it and they have been ok - but I find it time consuming as it is filling in daily diaries - never mind hourly text messaging.

I try to see the funny side but it's difficult- Dad texts me then Mum texts me so I'm duplicating messages all the time! :rolleyes:

I would just text them with major things and see how it goes. As long as you put in accident book and get parents to sign you are doing everything right.

TRACEY1969
23-06-2009, 02:44 PM
yes everything was recorded and it was only a few scratches to his hand head was ok but still i put a cold compress on just incase. It is abit of a laugh as he is always coming with bruises and scratches on him due to trying to walk and stuff.

Pipsqueak
23-06-2009, 02:47 PM
All the parents want is some reasurrance but its not nice to feel like you are under the microscope.
You need to arrange a chat with parents - without kids present, acknowledge their feelings etc but also at the same time remaining firm that you cannot and willnot text/call them everytime LO has a minor scrape. Reiterate to them that you are a trained professional with first aid training and you will make a judgement call on these occasions.
I think this is one of these occasions whereby you both (you and parents) have to come to a compromise or understanding or there is going to be a breakdown of trust and you need to be a little cautious if they are going to start questioning your professional judgement.
They have got to understand now that their LO is coming up toddling stage that bumps, bruises, scrapes and minor accidents are going to become the norm for a period of time - its normal - most children go through it - its how we as adults handle it that is the important thing.

Of course pretty up what I am saying but I think you need to tackle this sooner rather than later with the parents and get something sorted.

TRACEY1969
23-06-2009, 03:22 PM
yes i think a chat to clear the air about this will put her mind at rest. This wasn't a serious accident and the parents were do to pick him up in least than an hour it happened. He does come with bruises on him due to trying to walk and he is crawling so fast and a couple of weeks ago i did mention this and that i need a letter about the bruises as his dad pick him up on the night and this covers me. I didn't get a letter but i did mention the bruise already on his head to his dad Thursday mine was just a little red mark and faded later so mom said in her text that evening.

Pipsqueak
23-06-2009, 03:27 PM
are you recording the injuries that he is coming with? putting them in the back section of the NCMA accident book and getting parent to sign? I would be.

Hope you get it sorted with parents

TRACEY1969
23-06-2009, 03:32 PM
yes doing all that but when he is wearing trousers and i do a nappy change there will be some grazies or small bruises where he is crawling and stuff and i have mentioned this to mom about this and to see if the health visitor can check him over. These parents are very over protective they call 999 just for a cold for him and the doctors have told her off she says.

Pipsqueak
23-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Carry on recording - of course we can't strip a child down to see if they have any injuries but we can record when we find them and then get the parents to initial when they collect.

I think thats very naughty for calling 999, they may be paranoid or overprotective but well...... Sounds like they need to chill out a bit and I think that attitude would be putting me on edge a bit. I would record record record and try to impress upon the parents that they need to tell you if he has any bumps or scratches etc at the start of the day. Sounds like you are going to have to cover yourself.

Also sounds like they need some big time reasurrance here - are they first time parents? Are there any other issues - for example there were medical problems when he was tiny (know one parent who is like that). They have got to learn to trust and commnicate with you.

Alibali
23-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Gosh, with a child that age you could be spending the entire day on the phone!!! Litlies get bumps n bruises all the time. Hope she feels more reassured soon, we don't have time to be phoning parents constantly

TheBTeam
23-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Gosh, with a child that age you could be spending the entire day on the phone!!! Litlies get bumps n bruises all the time. Hope she feels more reassured soon, we don't have time to be phoning parents constantly

I would say that you simply do not have the time to be spending texting parents, you are there to care for the children and know how they feel, that you will advise them of the more serious bumps and scrapes but the more minor bumps and bangs that happen with toddler it simply is not practical to tell you every time they fall down or knock! The cost would be prohibitive and would involve a raise in fees if you have to the exclusion of the other children text every time!!1

TRACEY1969
23-06-2009, 07:07 PM
yep first time mom only found out she was expecting when she was 34 weeks gone then dad moved in a few months ago. He doesn't like me speaking to him when he collects the child he says speak to mom in the morning.

balloon
23-06-2009, 07:15 PM
I think I'd ask mum why she would like a text each time the child hurt itself.

Perhaps there is an underlying medical condition that the parents have not yet discussed with you.