PDA

View Full Version : Baby with temp

venus89
23-06-2009, 01:03 PM
He's very cuddly and clingy, not really wanting to play. HY feels hot to the touch - just took underarm temp and it's 38.5 - by my reckoning that's over 100 degrees.

Tried to phone mum can't get hold of her.... Is this a send home job or a calpol and see? He's been like this a couple of hours..... Should i phone emergency contact?

Louise_Oaktree
23-06-2009, 01:06 PM
I don't give calpol - only usually prescribed medication and definitely not without prior written consent. I have one here with a temp just phoned Mum but she can't come for another hour :angry:

I would phone emergency contact if they have a temp and you can't get hold of Mum JMHO

venus89
23-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Thankyou - I've only ever had to get one picked up once before - why does it make ME feel guilty?

michellethegooner
23-06-2009, 01:18 PM
I only give calpol with written consent including confirmation via text from parent, I would ring emergency contact and send home

sarah707
23-06-2009, 01:19 PM
I only give calpol with written consent including confirmation via text from parent, I would ring emergency contact and send home

exactly the same here.

Strip down and cool (not cold) flannel on neck etc might help while you are waiting.

I hope little one is ok! xx

venus89
23-06-2009, 02:02 PM
Bubs has just been picked up by Grandad..... Temp last measured at 102 degrees..... Grandad said 'he's not that hot!' :panic:

Louise_Oaktree
23-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Bubs has just been picked up by Grandad..... Temp last measured at 102 degrees..... Grandad said 'he's not that hot!' :panic:

You're not the only one feeling guilty - but we cannot be expected to care for sick Children. IMHO I think sitting on the sofa with a clingy hot baby would impact on you caring for the other Children so I think you did the right thing.

My baby has also been collected - although when I last took his temp it was "normal" but he'd had jabs this morning and looked hot and wouldn't stop screaming so I suggested he might be better off with Mum.

I once had a vomiting child collected by grandparents as Mum was unobtainable on the phone - turned out she was in a shop trying wedding dresses on! She hadn't even told me she was off work - I had been ringing work numbers, works mobile etc with no response :eek:

venus89
23-06-2009, 02:43 PM
You're not the only one feeling guilty - but we cannot be expected to care for sick Children. IMHO I think sitting on the sofa with a clingy hot baby would impact on you caring for the other Children so I think you did the right thing.

My baby has also been collected - although when I last took his temp it was "normal" but he'd had jabs this morning and looked hot and wouldn't stop screaming so I suggested he might be better off with Mum.

I once had a vomiting child collected by grandparents as Mum was unobtainable on the phone - turned out she was in a shop trying wedding dresses on! She hadn't even told me she was off work - I had been ringing work numbers, works mobile etc with no response :eek:

I'm glad yours also got cllected.
I think my ones temperature had cooled slightly - I'd been stood in the breeze in the doorway watching the other LO play in the garden - but at the end of the day a child who is a) hot and b) won't play at all is not well.... Grandad seemed OK when he collected and Mum is apparently on her way..... You're quite right though - the other LO got no attention at all :(

rickysmiths
23-06-2009, 02:50 PM
Don't feel too bad I have got one picked up this morning.

Hot and cold, not wanting to play or eat, bursting into tears all the time. I was suspicious when he was dropped this morning. He had a soft toy which he wouldn't let go of-had him 18mths now and he has never brought a toy before :eek: he was off for two days at the end of last week and the doctor said he had a virus-parents said it was just a cold!lol.

I won't give Calpol either, I actually don't have any in the house!, unless its prescribed and written in the book in the morning at drop off and signed. I didn't think we were allowed to accept text consent as we haven't got a signature?

manjay
23-06-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't give Calpol either. I would have phoned emergency contacts if I couldn't get hold of parents

Pudding Girl
23-06-2009, 03:29 PM
TBH I wouldn't/don't take babies on the day they have had their jabs.

Hope they are both feeling better soon!

Louise_Oaktree
23-06-2009, 04:12 PM
TBH I wouldn't/don't take babies on the day they have had their jabs.

Hope they are both feeling better soon!

I have thought about adding this as an exclusion but on this occasion I didn't even know about it until they were stood on the doorstep :mad:

Pudding Girl
23-06-2009, 04:17 PM
you'd have thought they would mention it no?! :rolleyes: doesn't surprise me though, nothing does now!

venus89
23-06-2009, 04:32 PM
I won't give Calpol either, I actually don't have any in the house!, unless its prescribed and written in the book in the morning at drop off and signed. I didn't think we were allowed to accept text consent as we haven't got a signature?

I thought text consent was OK so long as we get the signature later that day.....
For some of mine I have a line filled out in the permission to give medication form in advance which I sign and date if I do give Calpol and which the parent then signs when they pick up. We were advised to do this at our ICP. However, I'm not 100% keen on using this method as it isn't watertight if Mum/Dad decide to pick a fight. i don't have such permission with this particular baby although mum has written me a note to say I can give calpol if needed. If he'd been less poorly I'd have suggested a dose of calpol and see if that perked him up but he definately wasn't right at all......

The Juggler
23-06-2009, 05:34 PM
I would rather have the fight I think than risk the danger of not treating a very high temp immediately - especially in babies with the risk of convulsions etc. I always get text permission and a signature on pick up.