PDA

View Full Version : WWYD? Mindee refuses sun hat

gigglinggoblin
23-06-2009, 09:53 AM
It is very hot and sunny here, am picking up 2yo mindee soon and it would be nice to go out for a picnic and a play. However last time he absolutely refused to have a sun hat on. He is very fair and will definately burn today so what do I do? Can I just say I wont allow him out if its sunny? Mum said put some cream on but he hasnt got enough hair to keep his scalp safeand I cant rub cream into his head!

Hebs
23-06-2009, 09:54 AM
my son refuses to wear hats too even as a toddler :panic:

just cover his ears neack etc nothing much more you can do

remember to log the response from mum :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
23-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I was going to say put sun cream on his head, my dad has to when playing golf as he has very short hair and I also put it on the dog on her bald bit.

jellytot
23-06-2009, 10:30 AM
rub the cream all onto his head

breezy
23-06-2009, 10:40 AM
Screech wont keep a hat on, I just smother her head in cream and make sure shes in shade where possible

Mouse
23-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Super glue :thumbsup:

Helen79
23-06-2009, 11:20 AM
ds won't keep a hat on either. I just rub suncream in his hair & re-apply it often.
I find the clear spray works best rubbed into hair, makes it look greasy but gets right onto the scalp.

claires
23-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Super glue :thumbsup:

I find velcro better.............. ;)

youarewhatyoueat
23-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Reward stickers for wearing even for a few minutes and make a real fuss of the others telling them all how good they are for keeping hats on,or i've a huge selection of hats and let them choose which one to wear and put the stickers on them.Failing that they stay in the pushchair under the sun canopy until they put it on!!!! I've one little boy who loved dressing up and he used to choose the old school wicker hats and bob the builder plastic hats but at least he wore one.

TheBTeam
23-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Reward stickers for wearing even for a few minutes and make a real fuss of the others telling them all how good they are for keeping hats on,or i've a huge selection of hats and let them choose which one to wear and put the stickers on them.Failing that they stay in the pushchair under the sun canopy until they put it on!!!! I've one little boy who loved dressing up and he used to choose the old school wicker hats and bob the builder plastic hats but at least he wore one.

All of the above and suncream on his head! That usually annoys them enough to learn about a hat!

sweets
23-06-2009, 11:53 AM
At least your children come with hats! i have told their parents to send them but they keep forgetting! all 3 turned up this morn without one. weve had an hour in the garden but came in when it got hot. I will have to get a supply to keep at my house i think, anyone know where you can get cheapies?

RainbowMum
23-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I have a 'No Hat = No Play' rule when its sunny. With a new mindee and also my own when they were little I put hats on to go out - if they take them off I take them straight indoors saying 'No hat No play!' They then usually make a bit of fuss & I tell them they have to have hat on to go out - they usually agree and then quite often take it off again as soon as back out - so we do the same over and over until they give up. I usually find it's constant on the 1st day but there after only have to say 'No hat no play' and they put them back on!

youarewhatyoueat
23-06-2009, 01:19 PM
At least your children come with hats! i have told their parents to send them but they keep forgetting! all 3 turned up this morn without one. weve had an hour in the garden but came in when it got hot. I will have to get a supply to keep at my house i think, anyone know where you can get cheapies?

end of season at gap usually £1 or 50p at charity shops

helenlc
23-06-2009, 01:30 PM

I have one mindee full time. I have given up asking Mum for stuff so now he has a hat, trunks, sun cream, slipper socks, pants etc all at mine that I have bought and keep here. Its just easier as I know then he can join in everything cos he has the right stuff.

Mine are also not allowed outside unless wearing a hat - we do the in and out the house thing until they emerge with hat firmly in place!!!

Ripeberry
23-06-2009, 01:46 PM
You can get something called 'dry oil' and its used my men of a certain age to stop their scalps burning in the sun! :blush: I think Tropicana make it.
At least the mindee's head won't go greasy!

The Juggler
23-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a 'No Hat = No Play' rule when its sunny. With a new mindee and also my own when they were little I put hats on to go out - if they take them off I take them straight indoors saying 'No hat No play!' They then usually make a bit of fuss & I tell them they have to have hat on to go out - they usually agree and then quite often take it off again as soon as back out - so we do the same over and over until they give up. I usually find it's constant on the 1st day but there after only have to say 'No hat no play' and they put them back on!

Hear, hear me too! They go back indoors or sit at the table in the shade until hat is firmly on. Or if there is shady bit of the garden I will allow them to play there. I had to do this with ds on holiday when under 2. I walked him back to the apartment every time he took off his hat. Suncream stops the burning but not the headaches.

sarah707
23-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Exactly the same in this house.

Just patiently saying the same thing over and over until they wear them! :D

Spangles
23-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Is there a dress-up hat he would wear?

I won't let my son out if he doesn't wear his hat.

mushpea
23-06-2009, 06:34 PM
no hat no play here too, also no cream no play and if we are out and they havent applied cream or refuse hat then they have to stay with me in the shade untill they comply. I have a 6yrold girl that refues cream so i wont allow her outside which gives her the right hump but it works in the end.

Alibali
23-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I agree, mine all have to wear hats, it's not optional. They soon learn. That said, as soon as Mums arrive they refuse hats again!!

sophiestars
23-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I agree with the no hat-no play theory. I used to work in a Creche and we would have lots of toddlers who wouldn't keep a hat on but they soon agreed when they realised it was the only way they got to play outside!

I bought a couple of hats from Tesco recently for a pound each (pink incase mindees came without one and they refused to wear my boys ones!) also they always have loads in the sale at the end of the Summer (forward planning for next year?!!!) really cheap, just pence.

gigglinggoblin
23-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the replies, I spoke to mum about the cream on the head and she said thats what she does so I will in future. I wouldnt want my kids hair that greasy but she doesnt mind so no problem.

He did wear a hat most of the time as it turned out, we were in the park with some friends and he liked the girls hat so he wore that (she had a spare, I wasnt depriving someone else of a hat!). The no hat no play rule is a bit tricky as my garden isnt registered yet (fingers crossed it will be soon, Ofsted have my letter!) but if we go to the park then I cant do much about him being out and there isnt any shade. Will def use that tactic when (thinking positive, when not if) I can use my garden!