PDA

View Full Version : do you provide baby food?

butterfly
23-06-2009, 09:47 AM
up till now i've always provided food (pureed) for my babies as my ds was the same age from 8mths upwards.

my dilemna now is whether to carry this on with my new babies starting in sept - 5mths, 10mths, 10mths even though my son will be nearly 2

i like providing an all-inclusive service only asking parents to provide breast/formula milk and nappies but what do you think? what do you do?

FizzysFriends
23-06-2009, 10:22 AM
No I don't include it, but then all the others bring their own lunches.

Hebs
23-06-2009, 10:24 AM
no i don't provide baby food due to risk of allergies (new foods and all of that)

:thumbsup:

Mouse
23-06-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't, I ask parents to provide food until the child is eating 'normal' food.

rickysmiths
23-06-2009, 11:00 AM

This is what I do :thumbsup:

clorogue
23-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Nor me! Time consuming in your own time. Also parents provide everything to me.

Helen79
23-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post

This is what I do

Me too. I think it gives parents the choice of what to feed them aswell.
When mine were babies I was quite fussy about what I fed them & wanted to be in control of what they ate so would've provided food to a cm anyway.

Now they're getting older & much more relaxed about it all :)

TheBTeam
23-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Same as most above I will provide food once a baby is fully weaned onto a normal cut up diet eating the majority of foods/finger sandwiches etc.

I justify that the time spent has to be done outside of the working day, variety of stages sometimes makes it difficult (as dh and i could have 2 under 1) and the risk of allergies makes it safer to provide food specific for their child until a normal full diet is established.

Most parents understand this and so far i have not had any issues.

youarewhatyoueat
23-06-2009, 11:35 AM
up till now i've always provided food (pureed) for my babies as my ds was the same age from 8mths upwards.

my dilemna now is whether to carry this on with my new babies starting in sept - 5mths, 10mths, 10mths even though my son will be nearly 2

i like providing an all-inclusive service only asking parents to provide breast/formula milk and nappies but what do you think? what do you do?

Crikey all those dirty nappies to change after lunch!!!! that's enough work without making the lunch as well,Lol

sweets
23-06-2009, 11:36 AM
I haven't taken on a baby yet but ive put in my welcome pack that parents are to provide first stage baby food and i will provide once they can have food just mushed up.

singlewiththree
23-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I provide food when its the same as what I am feeding everyone else just maybe mushed up a bit. I have been fortunate to not have a child that is that young as yet.

The Juggler
23-06-2009, 12:30 PM
contractually I don't but have been know to batches of home cooked food for babies who are fed on nothing but jars otherwise.

Just the usual staples easy to blend, different minces, veggies but not the very early stuff.

Polly2
23-06-2009, 12:36 PM
All of mine bring their own food but you have to do what works for you :thumbsup:

Daftbat
23-06-2009, 01:10 PM
Hi,

Just to be different - i actually do make up babyfood. I do it in batches and freeze it either in ice cube trays or small meal sized containers. I don't find it time consuming at all i do it when i am cooking other things anyway.

loocyloo
23-06-2009, 01:13 PM
i have done, but generally i think the mums of LO like to still be involved, and by providing the early food, that is a way they can.

once the child is eating 'normal' food ( all be it mushed up! ) then i provide it! i usually have a few frozen portions of 'baby veggies/fruit' etc in the freezer for emergencies!

butterfly
23-06-2009, 01:31 PM
thanks for all your replies. i think i'll speak to each individual parent and see what they want me to do. i don't mind making up the food but i think it might be nice to give them the choice. that way they canbe as involved as they like.

jaja
23-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I did for one but that was because the mum alwasy forgot the food or didnt have the money to buy it! anyway i wouldnt now, because at one point she was insiting that it has homemade, home grown etc etc, she took it too far....

good luck with what ever you decide....

helenlc
23-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I have said that parents are expected to provide baby food until the baby is eating what we are eating at meal times albeit cut/slightly mashed etc.

Louise_Oaktree
23-06-2009, 01:50 PM
at one point she was insiting that it has homemade, home grown etc etc, she took it too far....

This is why I no longer provide baby food, and I try to encourage parents to provide lunch for other children if I can. I found that parents wanted me to be a cook/chef as well as being a childminder! In my mind it isn't safe to be standing over a stove whilst caring for children and I had parents comparing me to nurseries who provide things like homemade fish pie etc I was throwing too much food away as they wouldn't all eat the same thing.

I will provide lunch but I'm quite specific in that I do serve up things like scrambled egg or beans on toast and sandwiches, sometimes I cook a hot meal but don't get parents to presume that I do from the start ;)

My after school children are on school dinners anyway so a sandwich and yogurt and fruit is generally enough for them at tea time.

I also found it was impossible to please everyone - none of mine will eat the same food anyway :rolleyes:

Chell
23-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Every one who has replied to the thread has mentioned feeding the baby purees or mashed up food. The current guidelines are to wean at 6mths old, a this age they can go straight onto 'normal' foods and many parents are chosing 'baby led weaning' rather than the traditional method.

I've done BLW with my third child, she is 10mths old now and never been made special food. She eats bits and bobs of what we eat.

The Juggler
23-06-2009, 05:39 PM
in theory thats good but like everything else at 6 months there are babies that can chew fine and those who find it much harder. I remember how difficult it was to feed from a spoon first time.

If they are not such a good chewer they're going to be a little hungry aren't they. have had brief look at these guidelines and am all for the finger food to encourage the chewing but all meals by this method seems a little harsh.

Chell
23-06-2009, 06:08 PM
in theory thats good but like everything else at 6 months there are babies that can chew fine and those who find it much harder. I remember how difficult it was to feed from a spoon first time.

If they are not such a good chewer they're going to be a little hungry aren't they. have had brief look at these guidelines and am all for the finger food to encourage the chewing but all meals by this method seems a little harsh.

Feed from a spoon at what age though? I weaned my first two just before 4mths, it took them a few feeds to get used to a spoon/food. At that age they don't have the correct reflex for eating, I presume this is partly why they take easier to foods at 6mths. When DD fitrst had food at 6mths she knew exactly what to do with it. Don't knock it till you've tried it. :laughing: :thumbsup: