PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else absolutely hate.........

~Chelle~
22-06-2009, 12:08 PM
.........Pull Up Pants/nappies?

I hate them with a passion - they are no good for potty training as, in my opinion, the children just treat them as a nappy!

The little 19 month old that I look after is not actively potty training at the moment but her mum insists on her wearing these pull ups. Well she went number two in them this morning and the weight of it was too much for the pull up as when I went to change her there was number two's everywhere - what a pretty C**p day:angry:

I never used these for my two sons, I put them straight into pants so if they wet them, they felt wet. They didnt wet them so much and opted to go on the potty and were both toilet trained within 2 weeks.

Also just started to look after a 3 year old, whose mum puts him in pull ups as he is not yet potty trained. I tell him to let me know when he needs the toilet and he always says "done it", in the blooming pull up.

Rant over lol

Chatterbox Childcare
22-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I think they are absolutely useless and should be abolished. What are they about anyway? Children just wet in them and they don't hold much at all.

Money spinner I reckon?

Spangles
22-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I didn't have any problems with them with my little boy, I found them really helpful.

I didn't put him in them until he was completely ready and keeping dry for long periods and I used the ones that feel wet when they've wee'd so they feel it like in ordinary pants but there's no mess. I also used the ones where the pictures disappear if they get wet. He had McQueen ones so his aim was to still be able to see McQueen by the end of the day and it worked great.

He then went onto normal pants during the day which was no problem and the pull-ups at night for a while until he was dry which only took a few more weeks.

I thought they were great and would definitely use them again if I needed to.

Maybe the trick is to only use them when they are practically ready for pants, mainly dry, rather than just as replacements to nappies - I don't think they're meant for that.

manjay
22-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't have a problem with them either. i have used them with all 3 of my children and don't feel it confused them in any way. As Spangles says I would only use them if I felt the child was ready.

Each to their own I suppose:rolleyes:

Mouse
22-06-2009, 12:31 PM
I think they have their uses, but are a waste of time when first trying to potty train a child. Like you said, they just use them like a nappy.

I used them when my 4th son started nursery. He wasn't quite potty trained, but didn't need a nappy. If he'd wet or pooed at nursery, I'd have had to go in & change him. He used them like pants and didn't wet in them unless he left it too late to get to the toilet. Even then it was only normally a dribble!He needed something on, but a nappy would have been no good as he couldn't get it on & off himself. I suppose if nursery had been more helpful he could have gone in pants, but they weren't!He was only in them for a few weeks until he was fully comfortable using the toilets at nursery.

We also used to use them if we were going on a long car journey & the children were at the in between stage of being almost toilet trained, but not quite. If they fell asleep in the car I didn't want them weeing in the carseat!

The other time we used them was at night. Again, the children could get out of bed & go to the toilet themselves, but they had some protection in case of accidents.

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2009, 12:35 PM
If he'd wet or pooed at nursery, I'd have had to go in & change him.

Have I understood this correctly? :eek:

cabby
22-06-2009, 12:37 PM
my little 15 month old mindee came in one the other day, mum didnt tell me and within 1 hour she was soaked and the pram was soaked, when i asked mum why she was wearing one she said that over the weekend she had been asking for a wee :panic: she then went on to say i could start buying them now instead of nappies for her :angry: , i told her very politley that her daughter could wear them over the weekend at home but not here for at least another 6 months!!!

Hebs
22-06-2009, 12:38 PM
I hate them too

My mindee's mum buys them but they are useless

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2009, 12:38 PM
They didn't work for us but we did start using them afterwords once he was potty trained, if we had to travel a long way in the car for example and at night so he could get up to use the potty if he needed to - but don't think he ever wet them, in fact still have a packed in the cupboard to use as spares.

I wonder if people find these convenient and the "easy" way to potty train before they really realise that you have to actually do something :p

Mouse
22-06-2009, 12:39 PM

Yes you have!!

In their defence, this was going back about 6 or 7 years. It was the school nursery where they normally took children from the age of 4. They started taking them from the age of 3, so suddenly had to deal with lots of children who weren't potty trained. They weren't used to this & their policy was that you had to go in & change them!
They have changed their policy now!

tinkerbelle
22-06-2009, 12:45 PM
i currently have an 11 month old baby in pull ups they are absolutely useless at his age he isnt potty training and the hassle of totally stripping the child to change him is ridiculous he hates being undressed as it is and these make it worse

~Chelle~
22-06-2009, 12:52 PM
i currently have an 11 month old baby in pull ups they are absolutely useless at his age he isnt potty training and the hassle of totally stripping the child to change him is ridiculous he hates being undressed as it is and these make it worse

Oh my goodness an 11 month old, that is just crazy :eek:

I also hate having to take off everything they are wearing, including shoes if they have trousers on - what a pain! That is how I got number two's everywhere:(

Helen79
22-06-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't like them for actual potty training as I think they just confuse the child but think they're useful for when a child is interested in using the potty but no where near being potty trained. one mindee is 2 & isn't potty training but likes to use the potty so it's much easier than laying down to take off a nappy, stand up, use potty, lay back down for nappy back on.

ds (17months) wears them when he doesn't wear cloth as I'm not buying 2 different types of nappies & he's a wriggler during nappy changes & easier to change him standing up. dd (4) wears them overnight aswell so she can still use the toilet if needed

ORKSIE
22-06-2009, 12:56 PM
I hate them too, cos they just think its ok to carry on weeing and pooing as normal, and they dont hold as much as a normal nappy. And as chelle says you have to take all of the bottom half of clothes off :panic:

wendywu
22-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I refuse to use them unless the child is ready for potty training. This was after i had to have my carpet shampooed because one mindee who does not speak, leaked poo everywhere as he just sat in a runny dirty pull up. :panic:

~Chelle~
22-06-2009, 01:17 PM
I refuse to use them unless the child is ready for potty training. This was after i had to have my carpet shampooed because one mindee who does not speak, leaked poo everywhere as he just sat in a runny dirty pull up. :panic:

That reminds me of my friend, who was a minder. She used to look after a 2 year old who was always taking off their nappy. She just had a new cream coloured carpet fitted and came into the living room and could smell poo. When she looked there was a snail trail of poo everywhere and the nappy was thrown into the fireplace and the little one was looking really please with herself saying "I did poo poo" lol:eek:

Thats why I have laminate:thumbsup:

Tatjana
22-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I found them very handy, they're helpful so that the childcan pull them down when they need to use the potty/toilet.

Of course they're no good for use instead of nappies..like the mentioned 11month old!:eek:

You don't need to take everything off to remove them, the sides tear easily.

xx

Mouse
22-06-2009, 01:37 PM
You don't need to take everything off to remove them, the sides tear easily.

xx

I agree, easy to get off...but how do you put clean ones on without taking everything off :rolleyes:

Hebs
22-06-2009, 01:45 PM
11 months! No need at all

I hate them, but then again I hate disposables give me terry nappies any day lol

Helen79
22-06-2009, 02:28 PM
I hate them, but then again I hate disposables give me terry nappies any day lol

Me too! also means I have to have 2 nappy bins in my v small toilet, one for our cloth & another for disposables. Wish all the parent's would bring cloth, would be much easier for me!

PixiePetal
22-06-2009, 03:06 PM
They have their uses. For a just potty trained child who has a limited time to 'hang on' they have been good for bus/train journeys. Take of at destination when we find a loo - usually dry and put on another time. Just incase, can't leave a soggy trail on public transport.:blush:

Also at night when they are beginnning to be dry. Can get out and do it themselves.

Not all the time though, this usually means IMO that they are not ready to potty train anyway and nappies are usually cheaper.

rickysmiths
22-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I hate them too, they are not helpful for potty training I find they learn quicker when wearing pants.

When my 18mth old arrived in them i asked mum to provide me with nappies which she did quite happily, could understand why I don't like them.

This little girl was no where near potty training, even though mum thought she was, she is just three now and will stand in the middle of my sitting room and wee and then laugh about it :eek: she can speak perfectly well! Lucky I have laminate floors. Mum thinks its funny that she does it as well so I don't stand a chance. I don't have her in the holidays so I'm hoping things will improve.

The other 3yr old I have, we trained in 2 weeks without a pull-ups in site.:jump for joy:

Pudding Girl
22-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Having (considerably!!) older children than most of you lot I recall when these first came out and it was not marketed as an aid to training, merely for wriggly babies who were on the go and wanted to be standing up for changes and not lie down.

I don't mind them as nappies, I do mind them whilst training, they confuse the issue and always find parents think they need to use them when training as they always seem to mistakenly think I wouldn't be wanting wet pooy kids to lug round, but in fact they soon realise it's the opposite!

sweets
22-06-2009, 05:08 PM
Im not keen on them as i find they smell a bit after one just one wee! i think if you wait till the child is genuinly ready to potty train( i wouldn't even consider it till child is 2) then they make the transision from nappy to pants in a couple of days. Early then it takes longer!

Saying that i have used pull ups before when i took a child to tumble tots so i knew we were 'safe' for that hour, after the seeion tho pants went straight back on.

Amaranth
22-06-2009, 05:11 PM
I sort of agree and disagree!:D (trust me!!)

Personally I don't like them and never used them for my dd. She was in terry nappies and was potty traned at 12 months. but pull ups can be useful.

I look after a little boy who is 2 and from about 11 months started to get very distressed at every nappy change. For some reason he decided he hated having the nappy put back on and it was a two person job to change his nappy every time!! Mum decided to try pull ups to see if it made any difference.............and since then he has been a different child! We have to change him a bit more often but it works for him. :)

I am not keen on it when mindees come in them for potty training though. They just seem to use them like a nappy, as a few others have said. I have to say, of all the mindees I have had, the ones who went straight into pants got to grips with going on the potty a lot quicker.

I have never said anything to the parents though (unless they ask for advice), as I feel it is up to them how they want to potty train their child.

Bananabrain
22-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Gosh,I thought it was just me:laughing:

I have 2x2 yr old boys both in pull-ups. I think they are a completely ridiculous invention, they make me crazy on a daily basis:laughing:

Mainly because they don't hold enough and in my experience they leak.

Two mindees are no where near training at the moment. I dread the day when the parents say they think they are ready!!!

Roseolivia
22-06-2009, 05:15 PM
I agree, what is the point of them, they're just like a nappy. My friend gave me 2 packs that her daughter doesn't need anymore, as you can imagine i won't be using them.

Ellen
22-06-2009, 06:31 PM
hi i too hate pull ups i think they are a total waste of time. I have a two year old who has in them for ages. I was thinkin about this and weather to do a policy that i will not train a child in pull ups and i want pants, dont know where i would stand. Has any one else done this
Ellen x

LOOPYLISA
22-06-2009, 06:41 PM
:angry: Me no like either :thumbsup:

venus89
22-06-2009, 06:41 PM
My nearly 3 year old mindee has worn them since she started coming here last July.... She's only just showing glimpses of becoming semi interested in potty training and I honestly have no idea why mu has put her in them all this time. I think towards the later stages of potty training they can have their uses - especially the ones where thepicture disappears.

My 6 year old son is still wet every night (we're due to see the nurse about this very soon :clapping: _ and he has them at night time. They have no benefit over actual nappies but if he ever does wake in the night and go to the toilet he'd be able to pull it back on again himself.

My daughter was potty trained and clean and dry at night times before the age of 2 - I don't think she ever used pull ups.

nannysue
22-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I have never liked them, I just don't understand people wasting their money. At the end of the day they are a nappy !!:( when (and only when) the child is ready i always advise that they go into proper pants. Whats the point of taking them out of nappies and then putting on another one, but calling it pants ???

Night time is fine, but please mums not during the day !!! it really confuses the child,

The Juggler
22-06-2009, 07:55 PM

I know lots of places that do this - depends on teacher apparently. I thought this was wrong but checked guidelines etc and it is not a requirement by the nursery staff!

Spangles
22-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Gosh! I'm in a real minority here aren't I!

mushpea
22-06-2009, 07:58 PM
i think they are a waste of money but then thats up to the parents i suppose.
my daughter was still having accidents when she started school and nearly 5yrs old yet my son was trained and 17.5months ( he was cloth nappies), the only time i ever used them was on a very long journey or if they had the runs.
I now have a 2yrold boy who comes in them but isnt ready for potty training but is so big there arent nappys that fit him anymore.
if i was potty training i would request pants (and plenty of them!) not pullups

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2009, 08:24 PM
i think they are a waste of money but then thats up to the parents i suppose.
my daughter was still having accidents when she started school and nearly 5yrs old yet my son was trained and 17.5months ( he was cloth nappies), the only time i ever used them was on a very long journey or if they had the runs.
I now have a 2yrold boy who comes in them but isnt ready for potty training but is so big there arent nappys that fit him anymore.
if i was potty training i would request pants (and plenty of them!) not pullups

My son was 3 b4 we potty trained but it only took 2 weeks :D but he has always been big and is tall for his age and we used to buy size 6 nappies from asda and they were brill ;) so there are bigger nappies available

her8y
22-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I think they are absolutely useless and should be abolished. What are they about anyway? Children just wet in them and they don't hold much at all.

Money spinner I reckon?

My thoughts entirely.:clapping:

hectors house
22-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Two mindees are no where near training at the moment. I dread the day when the parents say they think they are ready!!!

I have just potty trained 2 nearly 3 year old mindees and the mum of the just 2 year old said she was thinking of potty training her son and did I want her to send him in pull ups for me to start - (he only comes Mon, Tues and Wed), I said she should start on her days off ie: Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun and off course it would mean that she had to stay in completely for those 4 days and I would carry on from the Monday- she said she didn't realise that and she had a lot to do and would leave it for the time being - so it is alright for me to be house bound but not her as I refuse to use pull ups - I generally go cold turkey straight into pants - when they are wet and have wet socks they associate the result with the cause quicker - they can't tell the difference between a nappy and a pull up just because they pull up like pants. My own children were out of nappies by 2 years because were in terry nappies.