PDA

View Full Version : Do you let parents swap days?

uf353432
21-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Have after schoolies on Thursdays, mum said last week that because of sports day she didn't need Thursday - could I swap for Tuesday instead - she understood last min. In a bid to be helpful - I agreed - not problem.

They are both over 8 so not in my numbers per se....

Just been sat here thinking and realised I would have been quite in my rights to charge her extra for the Tuesday as Thursday was contracted day and she would have been charged regardless. But I didn't think of it at the time and I wasn't bothered to swap the day. I do think she might do it again though - and wonder if I should play it differently in future, pre - empt it now and advise this time is a gesture of goodwill to help her out as its last min.

Do you guys swap out days if you have the space and not make additional charge? Part of me thinks I should be a good flexible minder and which will hopefully encourage her to spread the word. But I also am aware I missed an opportunity to make a few pounds as well.......doh!

Daftbat
21-06-2009, 07:54 PM
I am happy to swap days for parents so long as i am not out of pocket i don't make any extra charges.

breezy
21-06-2009, 07:55 PM
I do let them swap days if I can fit kids in and I dont charge extra, but others might do it differently :)
It doesnt happen that often though I wouldn't want to be mucked about too much!

PixiePetal
21-06-2009, 07:56 PM
Although you may have made a bit more money, I have done this in the past - when numbers allow.

Not willing to do it onto a day when I am usually off - ie no mindees or if it will make my life difficult having 3 little ones and the older child but I count it part of my service that nurseries don't do and try to be accommodating like doing an extra hour at the end of the day if it fits with me.

Sometimes I haven't fancied doing it or have been going out in the evening and it would mean me working late so said 'no' - they still have to pay for contracted day then.

tinkerbelle
21-06-2009, 07:58 PM
i do with one parent as she does the same for me when needed
i dont charge her extra as i have spaces the day we swap for and as if i swap when she needs she then swaps when i do so works both ways

manjay
21-06-2009, 07:58 PM
I would if it suited me, so the same as Pixiepetal:D

uf353432
21-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I've got to be honest for £14 I reckon I can't buy at better advert for being flexible - which is more important right now to me. Glad I didn't think about it at the time as I would have given an impression that once I thought about it would have been the one I didn't want to make. :blush:

Great thanks ladies.

Mouse
21-06-2009, 08:14 PM
i do with one parent as she does the same for me when needed
i dont charge her extra as i have spaces the day we swap for and as if i swap when she needs she then swaps when i do so works both ways

I do the same. I let them swap days within the same week if it suits me, but they are also good to swap days if I need them to.

What I have been asked before (and what I don't do) is swap days for different weeks. ie. I have children 3 days a week & parents once asked to do 2 days one week and 4 the next. I don't do that, so they did 2 days one week (but paid for 3) and 4 days the next week (obviously paying for all 4).

georgie456
21-06-2009, 08:14 PM
I am happy to swap days for parents so long as i am not out of pocket i don't make any extra charges.

Yep me too....

Mollymop
21-06-2009, 08:20 PM
I don't mind swapping days, but i guess to me it is not swapping, because I still charge for the contracted day as well! -So i guess I am not actually swapping days

I have a before schooler, mum said she didn't need me on thurs (contracted day) but need me on the Fri ( non contracted day) - I did bill her for her contracted day and the extra day.

So no I would not accommodate a child in a different day out of contract, and not charge for the contraced day because they didn't use it and I have probably made plans, it is the parents choice, just like them taking a holiday, I still charge them for him/her not being here.
But if it were a full day then I would probably swap without charging.

TheBTeam
21-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Me too, if it fits in my numbers then generally I will swap, but i have had odd occasions where not possible, as long as parents accept that i have a right not too, then i don't mind and don't charge. Mine can also make a difference as to whether it is term time or holiday time and the combination of children as to how flexible i will be.

I try to accommodate anything, but would not want to be taken advantage of, and as others have said, it would be a day within the same week.

The Juggler
22-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Although you may have made a bit more money, I have done this in the past - when numbers allow.

Not willing to do it onto a day when I am usually off - ie no mindees or if it will make my life difficult having 3 little ones and the older child but I count it part of my service that nurseries don't do and try to be accommodating like doing an extra hour at the end of the day if it fits with me.

Sometimes I haven't fancied doing it or have been going out in the evening and it would mean me working late so said 'no' - they still have to pay for contracted day then.

Same here. Would only do it if it suited, wasn't day off or didn't make it a longer working day than I would otherwise have had. If I did do it then would probably charge extra.

charleyfarley
22-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I swapped a day last week as he doesn't normally come on a Monday for Friday as they were going away. I'm doing the same next week too, as long as I have the space available and I'm not losing any money then I don't mind doing it.

Carol xx

clorogue
22-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Yes, I it works both ways. If I can I will do it for them. It is give and take to a certain extent. You have to watch out for a parents whose day falls on a bank holiday - in the past I have had the occasion where I have been asked to swap that day that is a paid holiday for me. So to make it clear, I have put it in my contract. Will try to be flexible but not to swap bank holidays for normal working day if you see what I mean!

angiemog
22-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Ya,
I don't mind swapping days if it doesn't affect my ratios. I like to be able to help the parents out and make things a little easier for them. x

Roseolivia
22-06-2009, 05:17 PM
If it fits in with my plans i don't mind swapping days, but won't see myself out of pocket if hours are different

FizzysFriends
22-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I swap as long as im not over numbers, I like to be as flexible as possible with parents to help them out.

madasahatter
22-06-2009, 06:42 PM
If possible I will swap days for parents without making any extra charge. Like everyone else I try to be flexible because it works both ways. I have one LO who attends 4 days per week going to grandparents on the other day. Recently on one of the days I had her she was my only child and I was able to arrange to swap the day she spent at her grandparents to enable me to have valuable study days for my foundation degree.
This week I've had to ask a couple of parents if they are able to pick up their children early as my son has 2 cricket matches that are a distance away and we have a parents evening at school on another night. They have agreed quite happily knowing that if they need to work late I won't complain (they let me know before hand, so it's not a case of them being late and not letting me know)

jibberjitz
22-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I would as long as it doesn't interfere with other mindees etc