PDA

View Full Version : help with notice period please

sweets
21-06-2009, 02:37 PM
one of my mums has just rang (quite upset) to say that her and her boyfriend are splitting up and that she and little one is moving back to scotland this week! boyfriend is not little ones dad (althougshe calls him that). She has asked me to have little one tommorrow as she has things to sort out, i usually only have him half day wed and thurs. its ok i can fit him in but i don't know whether to charge her the months notice fee or not! feel a bit mean if i do, boyfriend has always paid me up to now as mum was looking for a job. which is why they originally wanted me to so mum could have some free time to job hunt. At one point she did get a job and upped my hours considerably which only lasted 2 weeks as she didn't like the job! so we we wnt back to 2 half days.
On one hand i feel mean charging her a months fees as i don't think she has much money, but then again its my business and why should i loose out!
What would you do?

gigglinggoblin
21-06-2009, 02:41 PM
I think it depends on how much you depend on the money, how long they have been with you, how mean you would feel doing it and whether or not you think you will get it and if you are willing to persue it if not. Also if you are sure she wont come back if its a sudden split. Very tricky but then I am hopeless with money!

rickysmiths
21-06-2009, 03:21 PM
Who is the contract with? If the boyfriend always paid you and has signed the contract then he is liable to pay the months notice. Even if he isn't it is worth sending him the final invoice I would have thought.

haribo
21-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Who is the contract with? If the boyfriend always paid you and has signed the contract then he is liable to pay the months notice. Even if he isn't it is worth sending him the final invoice I would have thought.

if the child isnt his though and theyre splitting up i doubt you would get it off him! he has probably been paying it out of goodwill but if thats gone hes hardly likely to pay i would have thought ! i would ask mum tomorrow if she is able to pay the notice period as she must know its payable ?

sweets
21-06-2009, 03:57 PM
No contract is with mum, ive never done invoices with them they have just paid me cash each week. Think i will prob just let it go!

ORKSIE
21-06-2009, 04:00 PM
Well it is of course your choice and a very kind one:)

haribo
21-06-2009, 04:10 PM
id probably do the same in your shoes , doesnt sound like mums in a position to pay really so hpoe you manage to find another one soon :thumbsup:

sweets
21-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks haribo , i hope so too! it didn't earn me enough to pay the bills but it was my purse money for the month!

haribo
21-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks haribo , i hope so too! it didn't earn me enough to pay the bills but it was my purse money for the month!

i know what you mean , i have a very part-timer who doesnt pay much but its cash and i keep that in my purse for little things and emergencies , id miss it if it suddenly wasnt there .. you get used to what you have even if its not much lol x

Daftbat
21-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Although this does sound a difficult situation i still think that if at all possible you should try and recoup the money that is legally yours. Its really easy to get drawn in to peoples problems but you are running a business too.

Its totally up to you but i would broach the subject and find out what the actual situation is - they may have already made provision for it, you never know. It could btake a while for you to fill the place again.

sweets
21-06-2009, 08:19 PM
ive only had the little one for 6 months and they have messed me about a bit, upping hours then dropping them, often late picking up, once she text me 15mins before pick up time to ask if was ok if they were late as they had been out for the morn and were still an hours drive away so i didn't have a choice really! don't get me wrong they seemed a very nice couple. i have agreed on the phone tonight that i'll have little one as much as she wants this week as mum sorts the move out, so i have decided to mention the months notice tommorow and see what reaction i get, if she says she can't pay it then i think i will say sorry but i can't do any extra hours this week for you then.
Do you think thats fair?

haribo
21-06-2009, 08:39 PM
i think its fair but not sure i would word it like that , it just sounds like your being petty , errm not sure how i would put it .. mention the notice period first and if shes not going to pay , tell her you are too busy trying to advertise the place to accomodate her anymore ;)

Louise_Oaktree
22-06-2009, 03:28 PM
I had a similar situation with a single parent but she was made redundant. I explained the usual 4 weeks notice and said on this occasion I would accept 1 week notice under the circumstances. She felt as though I was being kind and I still got some money :D

2 weeks later she got another job and I now do casual hours as an when, some nights at until 8pm as she works shifts and I know I "could" charge for 5 days as her days are different each week but I know she couldn't afford to so it works ok this way.