PDA

View Full Version : over my numbers

gailee
16-02-2008, 03:07 PM
hi i've had enquiry for 2 new mindees which don't start till march hopefully?? the children are 6 months old and the 3 yrs At the moment i have twins after school + i have another 2 after school and a toddler who turns 1 in march
so i would have 3 under 4 yr then 4 over 5yr but it only clash on 2 days and only for hour would you think ofsted would allow this??? or do i have to catch them in a good mood?? ;) i'm allow 6 under 8 thanks gail

Pipsqueak
16-02-2008, 03:22 PM
You would need to write a letter to OFSTED, stating your case (pleading lol!) very factually.

You would have to show HOW you will cope/handle the extra children and that you are aware of the extra problems that may arise etc

Why - is if for continuity of care, you are the only minder in the area that could possibly take both otherwise they would have to spilt the children up, the children already know you and your setting etc...

Perhaps the parents could send a letter of support in as well with yours

Other than that I am not sure what else you would have to tell them

berkschick
16-02-2008, 03:53 PM
How many under 8 would you have in total at your busiest time?

Its just that I was recntly told by OFSTED that they would not allow a minder to have more than 6 under 8 in total at anyone time.

I dont know how true this is though as they change their minds like the wind!

gailee
16-02-2008, 03:54 PM
thanks for that i'll have a go at writing a very strong case for me and hopefully it might work ? cheers gail

sarah707
16-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Fingers crossed! If you want to run anything by us, feel free! :D

gailee
16-02-2008, 04:04 PM
it would be between 3pm and 4 pm i would walk up with the school with 3 children under 4yrs(2 in pushchair and 1 walking) then pick up 4 over 5yrs old on most prob 1 day only then walk home then all the 3 under 4yrs would go home at 4pm then i would be ok i would just have 4 under 8 then !! i hope that makes sense ??? it's hard to explain and also in september i've been ask by one of the children's parents if i could have her baby as well in september ??? i NEVER been this busy its hard to choice whats best??? so i would give notice to one of the other child over 5 years old BUT i would have 4 under 4 yrs !!!! :eek: so i don't know how would stand with that too!!!

sarah707
16-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Sounds a lot ... do you really want that much hassle? :panic:

wendywoowoo
16-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Hi

I have just asked Ofsted for a variation to have 4 under 5's. This would be just 1 day a week until September, I have a brother and sister come one day a week and have been approached to have another brother and sister come full time.

Having not heard anything from Ofsted for over a week (bearing in mind parents are obviously wanting to know if i can have their children) I rang them to chase it up. The dragon (sorry, Ofsted Inspector) informed me quite curtly that if the children were not related to the others in my care (and so ensuring continuity of care) the answer would always be no. No discussion, no clarification, nothing :mad:

I have heard on the grapevine that the childminder who has now taken on these children has given notice to 2 part-timers so that she can free space to take the 2 full timers. Wheres the continuity of care for that family?? :angry: :angry:

miffy
16-02-2008, 09:00 PM
How many under 8 would you have in total at your busiest time?

Its just that I was recntly told by OFSTED that they would not allow a minder to have more than 6 under 8 in total at anyone time.

I dont know how true this is though as they change their minds like the wind!

I agree with you Debbie - Ofsted may allow a variation for 4 or even 5 under 5years old but you cannot have more than 6 under 8 years old in total

Miffy xx

gailee
18-02-2008, 08:06 AM
"IF" ofsted would give me a variation to have 4 under 5 ! Its that i would have a baby under 1, then 1 would be over 1yr and 1 would be 18 months then i would have a 3 1/2 which should be a nursery? that would be my 4 under 5yrs still with me? then i will pick up twins (over 5) after school 3.15 thats my 6!!
Then the 3 under 4's leave at 3.45/4pm, then i have 1 baby left and the twins, then i would have to go back to school to pick up another 1 over 5 (which is brother to baby thats left) so i will have 3 over 5's + the baby left ? so if i get the variation to have the 4 under 5's would i be able to have 3 over 5's once the others have gone??? anyway it might not happen till september !
GOD this is hard to explain!!!! i hope your getting it?? ( i need a floating place?? ) if any one understands this could you give me any info to see if this is possible ?????
ps suppose to have a new 1 start last week over 5 but he never came and mum said this week to start (there funding hadn't come) texted her last night no response! :angry:

berkschick
18-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Your new certificate would name times and days that you could have the requested numbers.

Mine says 4 under 8 of which 2 under 5 of which 1 under 1.

Then at the bottom it says a variation to this is to allow 4 under 5 on a Thursday between 9am and 3pm only and relates to the children named in the letter dated xx.

I think you would be ok as long as you stuck to your numbers. If the younger ones have gone before the older ones arrive then there would be no problem I dont think.

But OFSTED wont allow you more than 6 under 8 at any one time ( I dont think!)

DCS
18-02-2008, 11:12 AM
could you get an assistant to work along side you? then maybe ofstead my look on your case more favourably?

ruby
18-02-2008, 04:50 PM
i agree as long as the younger ones are gone before the older ones get there.

just a thought what about the school holidays.

acthy

Tily Bud
18-02-2008, 06:59 PM
This has really confused me as over the last couple of years i have had variations for different reasons upping my unders 5s to 4 but they didnt reduce my 5 - 8 numbers so therefore i was able to care for seven under 8s at a time ( in theory ) although i cant remember if i actually did this x

Lou
18-02-2008, 07:04 PM
This has really confused me as over the last couple of years i have had variations for different reasons upping my unders 5s to 4 but they didnt reduce my 5 - 8 numbers so therefore i was able to care for seven under 8s at a time ( in theory ) although i cant remember if i actually did this x

I agree i have also had this in the past, BUT when you apply for a variation you list the names and dates of birth of ALL children so i presume they will only grant it if in total there is no more than 6??

Does that make sense?

I have also heard on several occasions that you can NEVER have more than 6 under 8.

A childminder friend currently has 3 mums who are pregnant and have all asked if she can mind new babies.

She contacted Ofsted and asked if there was any way she could have 5 under5s at any point as this would be what was needed 3 days a week, and again they told her no that would NEVER be allowed.

jumpinjen
18-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I'm finding all this fascinating because I have two daughters under five myself and that means that I will only be able to have one other child full/ part time and that limits my income considerably.

All the trips backwards and forwards to pick up children at different times from different schools sound exhausting... you must need a military schedule to keep track!!!

Jenni.x

gailee
18-02-2008, 07:56 PM
thanks pips for the help! well i get fit (not) and some fresh air !!!!!:blush: if it all works out??

the child that suppose to start today?? well i texted her this afternoon to see if she wanted me to pick him up no reply? but he got picked up by his dad this afternoon without saying a word to me!!! she phoned when i got home from the school ? saying can i pick him up tomorrow but she kept saying could i pick him up in the morning from his house seeing that i'm going to school/that way anyway?? i told her i'll have to charge her?? that went down well !! i think she thought i would do it for free??? "hello" my god some parents :angry: