PDA

View Full Version : First lot of enquiries!! (retainers help!!)

Pudding Girl
16-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Got home after a hectic couple of weeks to two enquiries!

One from a Netmums childcare board ad, other from Gumtree - a 9mo child from June ( not sure if ft/pt yet) and two children of 6mo and 20mo ft in August - ok they are both ages away, but I think I'll need time out recovering from cancer anyway, so thats not a bad thing really.

Had emailed them both back with all my full details and hopefully will be able to arrange a couple of visits in the very near future!!

Now to my Q - how much % retainer would you charge to hold spaces till June and August??

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:18 PM
That is a bit of a tough one to answer straight off Lou.

My initial instinct is to say 50% but that might work out far too much money and therefore each case has to be worked out on its own merits.

If I were you I would work out eactly how much they would have to pay you over this period of time if the children were in your care and then go from there.

The object is to work out a sum of money that both you and the parents were happy with.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

mrsbumbles
16-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Personally i would charge 25% for 1st month, 50% 2nd month, 75% 3rd month then 100% untill the child starts.

Good luck Lou x

miffy
17-02-2008, 01:57 PM
There are a few threads about retainers atm

I don't usually charge them but those I know who do charge half fee

If I was asked to save a place for a long while i'd probably take a deposit non refundable if the place wasn't taken up

It really is up to you

Good luck
Miffy xx

sarah707
17-02-2008, 02:20 PM
It would be great to have people waiting for when you are better, but you need to bear in mind that the recouperation period for the treatment you are going to be having can take many months longer than anticipated...

I do not think many families would be able to pay a retainer for months and months, which might be difficult financially for them.

I wish you all the success in the world with your treatment and hope and pray June and August are happier times for you :D

angeldelight
17-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Just wanted to say good luck and hope you are feeling better now

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
17-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I anticipate being ready for work by May, am not looking to take anyone on till then really.

Anyway, I have read more threads about retainers vs deposits and my own take is that should I hold a place for someone and NOT charge anything, and it fall through at last min, I have lost out on a potential 3 months or whatevers money. I can also appreciate a parent would not fully get why retainers should be charged, it's hard knowing what to do for the best.

Only thing I can think of is to say to them I will hold the place from now till 6 weeks before they start for example, on payment on a deposit of months fees, taken off the first month - non refundable if they pull out - then we will meet up and sort out whats what 6 weeks before they want me, pay a retainer for the 6 weeks and start settling in sessions..... does that sound unreasonable or too fussy or what?

Sheesh I always thought it would be easy when thinking it out in theory, I would always charge a retainer for a place but in practise it's not straight forward is it??!!

deeb66
17-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I
Only thing I can think of is to say to them I will hold the place from now till 6 weeks before they start for example, on payment on a deposit of months fees, taken off the first month - non refundable if they pull out - then we will meet up and sort out whats what 6 weeks before they want me, pay a retainer for the 6 weeks and start settling in sessions..... does that sound unreasonable or too fussy or what?

Sheesh I always thought it would be easy when thinking it out in theory, I would always charge a retainer for a place but in practise it's not straight forward is it??!!

That sounds ok Lou

Unfortunately it is very easy to work out what you should do but yes putting it into practise is very hard.....this is why I say you have to work out something both you and the parents will be happy with.

Good luck....let us know how you get on