PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

venus89
20-06-2009, 03:48 PM
There was a similar thread about this a while ago but it went off at a bit of a tangent.

I'm due to childmind my nephew for 6 days in July whilst my SIL goes for Jury duty. obviously the duty could be much less than that but she has to work on the grounds it will be the full 2 weeks (the little lad will be in nursery one day a week and my brother can cover another day). When it comes to charging, do I charge for 6 full days - as in, if she only has to do 2 days but I charge for 6 will she get her money back? - or just on the actual days I get used? I don't want her to be out of pocket - I'd happily do it for free but as she gets the childcare costs covered then I may as well get paid for it and as such may as well charge the most I can for it.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody has any advice...... x

Daftbat
20-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Not sure on this one but would suggest you phone the court as they may be able to advise or direct you to someone who will know the answer - its obviously a common problem.

venus89
20-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Not sure on this one but would suggest you phone the court as they may be able to advise or direct you to someone who will know the answer - its obviously a common problem.

I was going to phone the NCMA if nobody knew but tht's a far more sensible idea! Thankyou

rachelle
20-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I just got paid for a jury service cover. I did 3 days out of 8 but was paid for all 8. When your sil starts she'll get a claim for expenses form and on there is a little box to tick to say "my childminder charges for all booked days and not just attended sessions". I got the money in 5 days (incl. weekend) with no problem.

I did have to provide a receipt and invoice to say they'd payed upfront (they hadn't as I knew they didn't the money but I also knew I could trust them)

venus89
20-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I just got paid for a jury service cover. I did 3 days out of 8 but was paid for all 8. When your sil starts she'll get a claim for expenses form and on there is a little box to tick to say "my childminder charges for all booked days and not just attended sessions". I got the money in 5 days (incl. weekend) with no problem.

I did have to provide a receipt and invoice to say they'd payed upfront (they hadn't as I knew they didn't the money but I also knew I could trust them)

Thank you - that's exactly what I needed to know x