PDA

View Full Version : Diversity and 2 years and under HELP

Rach30
19-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Can anyone think of activity ideas for 2 year olds and under and babies to promote diversity ? My mind is blank. All help greatfully recieved :eek:

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Difficult with children of that age

You could look at pictures of people with different hair texture, eye shape, skin colour etc

What about a collage of different people using old mags etc?

Teach the children songs and dances from different nations of the world. Children will begin to see that all people like to sing and dance, but every group has its own special ways of doing it. Talk with the children about how different music sounds: loud, soft, fast, or slow. Listen for the different instruments.

An idea here but for an older child

Skin-Color Match-Ups

Set out a number of nylon knee-high stockings in various shades, tan, black, white, pink, yellow, and red. Encourage children to try them on their hands and arms or their legs and feet. Ask questions to help the children increase their awareness of skin color. For example, "Can you find a stocking that is the same color as your skin?" Or "What color is that stocking you have on your arm?" Ask the children to "Try the _________ stocking. Is it lighter or darker than your own skin?" Tell the children no one's skin color is really white, pink, yellow, or red. Emphasize that skin-color differences are interesting and desirable.

Not sure if that is much help but it is some of the things we do

Angel xx

miffy
19-06-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd use the animal world for children of this age too - look at differences in animals - fur, feathers etc

I wouldn't make too much of differences in humans just have lots of books that have pictures of all races - Angel's collage idea is a good one.

Miffy xx

Chellie
10-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I believed that when young children are doing an activity such as painting portraits of themselves or of each other you should talk about the similarities and differences between the children especially as the theme Unique chld says we should encourage children to recognise their own unique qualities and the characteristics they share with other children, I take this as meaning colour of hair, eyes, skin etc. However, another childminder said to me that she didn't think it was appropriate to point out colours of skin to young children as they don't notice anyway. I thought it was simply the same as pointing out if somebody was tall or short, long hair or short etc, but now I'm not sure if I'm right? What does anyone think?

claireodon
26-09-2009, 07:38 AM
When doing portraits I have focused on the child who is drawing/painting themselves - getting them to identify their eye/hair/skin colour so they can find the matching crayon/paint colours. I would not personally point out that this child looks different from that child but if the children identified that themselves then I would answer their questions and guide the discussion, perhaps also looking at books or TV programmes that address diversity issues to support their learning.

imo, having resources that reflect all cultures and ethnicities and challenge gender stereotypes is the most meaningful way of promoting diversity for very young children.