PDA

View Full Version : Sick, sick and more sick

sarah32
16-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Ive had a bit of a nightmare this week, I look after 3 children now and this week my youngest whose 10 months has had a terrible cough and when he'd eaten something resently and then cough he was sick. He did it early part of week, not too bad so sorted it out. Then Wednesday he was really bad but it was onlty 10 minutes before mum picked him up so cleaned up and let her know when she collected him.:(

Then friday just finished giving him his lunch and started coughing and then was sick, just kept coming until he had nothing left. Wasnt just lunch it was everything he'd drank and eaten that day, he was quite upset and had to strip him as no more clothes for him as already been sick that day.

Thought mum should really come and get him as I wasnt happy with him as really upset and having to deal with 2 more young children and clear up as well. Rang her and said what was happening and what did she want to do, she said to give him calpol and would get dad to bring more clothes round, she had a meeting in the afternoon. I heard myself saying Ill put him down for a sleep and see how he goes. (why do you do that, I was thinking different but saying something else).:(

When I speak to mum about hows he's been this week, that hes been coughing alot, sick and also Ive had trouble getting to drink and eat. She says he been fine with her, eating fine and not been sick. I felt really bad like I was doing something wrong. But dad let slip when I saw him that one night she couldnt get him to eat dinner and hes had her up a few times in the night coughing.

I thought we got on really well and this has upset me quite a bit, husband says Im being paid to look after him and I should deal with him when hes not well. But I dont think its fair on the other two kids I look after and what if I get ill.:mad:

What would everyone else do? sorry a bit long, wanted to give full story as this is really worrying me, I feel physically drained and i'm dreading Monday.

sarah

Blaze
16-02-2008, 01:53 PM
It is not your job to care for a sick child...that is a parent's job! Do you have an illness policy? if not go to the Bromley sight & have a look & adapt to your setting...your not wrong...so time to get tough!
Tasha:)

deeb66
16-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Ive had a bit of a nightmare this week, I look after 3 children now and this week my youngest whose 10 months has had a terrible cough and when he'd eaten something resently and then cough he was sick. He did it early part of week, not too bad so sorted it out. Then Wednesday he was really bad but it was onlty 10 minutes before mum picked him up so cleaned up and let her know when she collected him.:(

Then friday just finished giving him his lunch and started coughing and then was sick, just kept coming until he had nothing left. Wasnt just lunch it was everything he'd drank and eaten that day, he was quite upset and had to strip him as no more clothes for him as already been sick that day.

Thought mum should really come and get him as I wasnt happy with him as really upset and having to deal with 2 more young children and clear up as well. Rang her and said what was happening and what did she want to do, she said to give him calpol and would get dad to bring more clothes round, she had a meeting in the afternoon. I heard myself saying Ill put him down for a sleep and see how he goes. (why do you do that, I was thinking different but saying something else).:(

At this point you should have said.....I am really sorry that you are busy but if you cannot come and get him then please arrange for someone else to collect him

When I speak to mum about hows he's been this week, that hes been coughing alot, sick and also Ive had trouble getting to drink and eat. She says he been fine with her, eating fine and not been sick. I felt really bad like I was doing something wrong. But dad let slip when I saw him that one night she couldnt get him to eat dinner and hes had her up a few times in the night coughing.

They are obviously lying through their back teeth then

I thought we got on really well and this has upset me quite a bit, husband says Im being paid to look after him and I should deal with him when hes not well. But I dont think its fair on the other two kids I look after and what if I get ill.:mad:

You are not paid to look after a child who is not well. For everyones sake especially the other children, all unwell children have to be sent home. If any child has been sick like that then they should technically be excluded for 48 hours

What would everyone else do? sorry a bit long, wanted to give full story as this is really worrying me, I feel physically drained and i'm dreading Monday.

sarah

Hi

Sorry to hear you have had a tough time.

I have added some notes in your original post to make it easier.

have you got a sickness policy in place?

My sickness policy clearly states that any child who has become ill will be sent home immediately and that if the parents re unable to collect they have to arrange for someone else to collect.

I also state clearly that if a child has sickness etc they will be exluded for at least 48 hours.

Blaze
16-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Much better put Dee!

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:00 PM
Check out the Bromley site as given by Tasha

but also have a look at this document too as it will help in putting an effective sickness policy in place.

http://www.hpa.org.uk/infections/topics_az/schools/schools_guidelines_2006.pdf

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Much better put Dee!

I think we are chasing each other around Tasha as we have been posting at the same time :D

Blaze
16-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I think we are chasing each other around Tasha as we have been posting at the same time :D

LOL! Dee can you add a link to Bromley as it's not letting me!

Thanks!

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:07 PM
LOL! Dee can you add a link to Bromley as it's not letting me!

Thanks!

No probs sweetie

Here is the link for Bromley

http://www.bromleycma.org.uk/

sarah32
16-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Ive said to mum that I wasnt happy with him being sick but she says its a teething cough and hes all blocked up because of teething....

Shes read my sickness policy but she doesnt class him as being ill because hes had this cold for quite a while and last time she took him to the doctors he said his chest was clear.

His sickness is not catching but Im getting a bit fed of cleaning it up.:angry:

I dont know how many times I can tell her hes not well, its not just teething. He's with me 9 hours a day, 5 days a week and Im getting to know when hes not well and what it is, I dont know if this is what she doesnt like.

Im on a assertivness course next week, need all the help I can get.

Hopscotch
16-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I would have said that i need you to collect him as he is not well, it is not your responsibility to look after him when he is being sick he needs to be at home and it is not fair to you to have to clean up the sick.
Maybe you should say that if any child is sick they cannot return to your setting until 48 hours after it has cleared up.
I know what its like and sometimes it just feels like the parents take advantage of your kind nature, if he was at school or in a nursery they would have sent him home.
Hope it gets better for you
Bev X

deeb66
16-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Ive said to mum that I wasnt happy with him being sick but she says its a teething cough and hes all blocked up because of teething....

Shes read my sickness policy but she doesnt class him as being ill because hes had this cold for quite a while and last time she took him to the doctors he said his chest was clear.

His sickness is not catching but Im getting a bit fed of cleaning it up.:angry:

I dont know how many times I can tell her hes not well, its not just teething. He's with me 9 hours a day, 5 days a week and Im getting to know when hes not well and what it is, I dont know if this is what she doesnt like.

Im on a assertivness course next week, need all the help I can get.

I think you do have to be a bit more forceful with these parents.

I think they are taking advantage of you and they know it too!

You need to remember that you are not employed by them so don't have to do what they want you to do. This is your business, your profession and they have to do what you want them to do....not the other way around.

Stand your ground and TELL them that you will not look after the child if he is sick.

sarah707
16-02-2008, 04:13 PM
I have a little one who is often sick after meals. One tip from his dad is to leave him longer in the high chair after the meal... then when he is sick it's a lot more contained to clean up the mess.

I don't know how long after a meal your little one is sicking up, but this might help. And keep a bowl handy!

I hope it improves next week xx :D

tulip0803
16-02-2008, 04:56 PM
I have put on my policy coughs and cold - no exclusion, unless unwell. I would classify being sick as unwell.:(

For sickness I have With or without specific diagnosis - Excluded until clear of symptoms for at least 48 hours. Which means if they were sick at my house they cannot return until at least 2 whole days after they were sick.:(

I think both those would cover this instance.

I had a child who was dropped off in her school uniform looking peaky within 1/2 hour her coughing made her sick. I still had children to get to school and could not get hold of the parents. I had to get another minder to take the children in late whilst I waited with a sick child for the parents to contact back. Apparantly I should have taken her to school as it was "only the coughing" I did say that the school would not have accepted her and just got a Huff.

Hope this might help

JuliaXX

susi513
16-02-2008, 05:22 PM
The husband is WRONG. He does not have the right to leave a sick child in your care. You are not a nurse or a doctor!

You could tell him that Ofsted (and other parents) expect you to provide a healthy environment for all children. This policy not only protects other mindees from illnesses his child might bring but also protects HIS child when you decline to care for other mindees who appear unwell. What might be a minor ailment for one child could present far more severe symptoms in another.

A child who has a cough violent enough to induce vomiting, is IMO not well enough for school or childcare and I would send home in that instance.

If you care for sick children (or children who appear to be sick - its not unreasonable to request parent to take child to see gp, just to rule out anything more serious) then you run the risk of other parents withdrawing their children, and they would have a relevant reason to put in a formal complaint to Ofsted that you are not following the National Standards.

With the exception of babies bringing up milk after a feed and one occasion where I made the mistake of not allowing enough time after lunch before a boisterous runaround the park, I phone parents to collect their child if they have been sick. Which meant one child went home after about an hour - turned out he'd had 5 bowls or so of custard for breakfast at home, but as I said to parent I'm not a doctor and can't be certain that his breakfast was the cause of the vomiting, so I am obliged to err on the side of caution and send him home. Just as the school would have done.

LittleMissSparkles
16-02-2008, 05:45 PM
I agree with what everyone has said babe you need to get tough and tell the parents you will not look after a sick child and dont let them bully you xxx

miffy
16-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I agree with what everyone has said babe you need to get tough and tell the parents you will not look after a sick child and dont let them bully you xxx

Exactly!

Miffy xx

nannan
16-02-2008, 05:53 PM
As has been said, a child or baby that is being sick should not be with a childminder but at home with a parent, cant add anymore, except to stick you ground, as Dee said it is your business and you run it,

sarah32
17-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Ive been thinking about it over the weekend and your right I should of worded the call differently and not give her the option of what she wanted to do.

I think its just Im not experienced yet and these things are all new to me.

It shocked me a bit when she didnt come and get him, if anyone had called me and said my baby was being sick I would of dropped everything and got there straight away, even now with my kids being 5 and 7 I would be round to the school like a shot to get them if they werent well.

Thanks everyone for the advice.:thumbsup: Lets see what happens monday.:D

sarah

miffy
17-02-2008, 10:31 AM
Oh don't worry Sarah dealing with parents is really hard sometimes especially when you want them to do something they don't want to

Also sometimes parents don't think the same way we do - yes you would go and get your child if they were being sick but some (not all) parents just think they have paid you and you should get on with it.

Good luck for Monday - make sure you ask mum/dad how the child has been over the weekend because they should tell you if the child has shown any signs of illness

Miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
17-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Good luck for the morning Sarah. I could never have left my son anywhere when he felt ill other than at home with me, no career is worth missing out on being a Mum. Poor kids:mad: Parents are the bain of our lives :angry:

deeb66
17-02-2008, 07:32 PM
Miffy is right Sarah

Don't go beating yourself up......trust me it took me quite a few years before I became tough enough to stand my ground.

You will get there in the end honey.

Good luck for Monday...

jaz
19-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Just catching up on this thread, don't some parents take the mickey?!?!?

How is it all going this week, is there any improvement in the situation?

sarah32
19-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Mum took him to the doctors monday morning but said there wasnt anything they could give him. Hes still got a nasty cough but not heaving anymore.

The other children have exactly the same cough, mum took them to doctors friday night and they are on medication.

I dont know. Maybe because hes under a year, Im lost for words.

Polly2
19-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Just catching up

Hope this situation improves for you - the parent is being unreasonable. Its sooooo hard being tough isn't it? I get walked over all the time :(

The ladies here have helped me no end though.

Hope things improve hun x