PDA

View Full Version : what to use for storage?

sweets
19-06-2009, 04:58 PM
Up to now i have kept all my toys upstairs and bring a selection down each morning, i don't have my own children and was determined not to turn my house into a nursery, but the arrangement is not working as i seem to spend half the day going up and downstairs,after requests for toys.
SO i want to buy a shelving system or cupboard so i can keep the majority of toys downstairs, the chidren will be able to choose what they like (to please Mrs Ofsted!). Some toys like garages and farms will prob still have to upstairs though as they are big.
Does anyone have any suggestions of what i could get, I want to put the toys into nice baskets or boxes on the shelves so visitors don't walk in and see a wall of toys! i will put labels on them during the week so the children know what inside though.
I think i need a pigeon hole type thing! i have looked at ikea website but don't think it shows all their range.

Any suggestions?
What do you all use?

PixiePetal
19-06-2009, 05:17 PM
Try the IKEA 'Expedit' range or 'Trofast'.

Good luck, this is something I will be addressing when we move in the summer. My kids are teens so don't need all the toys out all of the time.

uf353432
19-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Mine are from homebase - and they are double height and fit those standard plastic boxes.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=8757166&c_2=2%7Ccat_12079494%7CChildren+and+nursery+furnit ure%7C12383491&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CFurniture+and+Homewares%7C 12079494

you can stack on top of them as well without the casters.

If you got plastic boxes, you can label one side, then turn the box round so the label is not on show when you are not minding?

PixiePetal
19-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Mine are from homebase - and they are double height and fit those standard plastic boxes.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=8757166&c_2=2%7Ccat_12079494%7CChildren+and+nursery+furnit ure%7C12383491&c_1=1%7Ccategory_root%7CFurniture+and+Homewares%7C 12079494

you can stack on top of them as well without the casters.

If you got plastic boxes, you can label one side, then turn the box round so the label is not on show when you are not minding?

Think Argos do similar :thumbsup:

sweets
19-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for suggestions everybody but i was really trying to avoid units that look like 'toy storage' if you know what i mean. I want to put the toys in wicker baskets or those thick cardbord boxes with pretty patterns on! lol. i know its a bit la de da though lol

her8y
19-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I bought a unit from Ikea and put willow storage boxes in. Mrs ofsted did say that clear plastic boxes would be good as children can see whats inside. (yes mine are labelled with words and pictures Argh)

georgie456
19-06-2009, 06:42 PM
what about Great Little Trading Co (www.gltc.co.uk) Their storage has a choice of design on the baskets so can be good if you want a grown up look. NOt the cheapest but good quality so should last for years.

PixiePetal
19-06-2009, 07:52 PM
A friend has the Expedit unit with wicker baskets - comes in white, dark and light wood options. They look nice, baskets are not huge but she has the big unit so it hold loads.

sweets
19-06-2009, 08:10 PM
I feel a trip to ikea coming on! lol i like the expedit unit:)
thanks

Beckieboo
19-06-2009, 08:48 PM
I do not have loadsa room either and so i keep all my childminding toys in a cupboard upstairs full to the brim, but wot i did for my pre inspection with the intent on using it wen finally registered is, i displayed each toy and took a picture of it and gave it its name, i also got my children to draw the simple toys and wrote the toys name underneath and i bought a photo album and placed the pictures inside so the children will be able to see wots available and choose wot they want to play with. So in affect i have a phot album full of photos and drawings of toys!!!
Mrs ofsted loved the idea!!!!:clapping: Just hope she does nxt time she comes!!!!:laughing:

haribo
20-06-2009, 07:44 AM
ive got an open plan living /dining room and really didnt want toys on view when i come in the door ( when no kids here ) there are deep alchoves in the back room where i keep the toys . they get a bit jumbled and look messy so i put blinds to hang from the top and when the kids go i just pull the blinds down and voila !! nice and neat lol . also have a big cupboard near back door which used to house a water tank where i keep big stuff like the garage etc.. you have to be inventive when you have a small house :thumbsup:

Daftbat
20-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I have a large coffee table from Ikea which has a shelf underneath it which is just the right height for putting plastic storage boxes on. The children can get them out but they are not immediately obvious to someone entering the room.

Star
20-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi, I use side tables and shoe racks from ikea and put wicker baskets in holes. Each one is small, but holds a selection for each area. Eg small world area has 8 baskets in shoe rack wooden unit, one with cars, one with train, one with people, animals, etc. I dont know name but will look up for you. When tidyed away looks like my living room and not nursery.

Will be back soon with names.:thumbsup:

Star
20-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Hi Found the name. Its LEKSVIK. They have side table, tv unit, coffee tables, shoe rack and more that are low and fit small wicker baskets. They are lovely and grown up, not child storage, but make excellent child storage. pm me if you want more info. I love mine. They are sturdy too. Just had my inspection and got Outstanding, so Ofsted must like them. I label them too, tie to front of basket, them pop label inbasket at end of week/day, which ever is needed. Hope this helps.
Star :thumbsup:

sweets
20-06-2009, 05:39 PM
thanks star they sound good. i am going to ikea tommorrow so will have a look at leksvic units and expedit.

Star
20-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Your welcome. Hope you have a successfull shopping trip. Let me know how you get on.

Star:)