PDA

View Full Version : my mindee is scared of...

kindredspirits
19-06-2009, 02:51 PM
.. new toys!!!!:eek: mum came this morning and said her usual comfort beear needs repairing so i dug her one out that was georges, its virtually identical but a little bigger and blue (hers is pink) - she ran a mile and screams blue murder when i get it out. throughout the day its been the same with anything she hasn't seen for about a fortnight - i try to rotate my toys so they don't get bored but she won't come in the living room whilst the 'new' toys are out :panic: i tried letting her stand at the door and watch whilst me and george enjoyed them but after 15 mins of her shaking and crying i gave in and took her outside to play. mum says shes the same at home lstely seems to have developed a fear of her stuffed toys at night.
any ideas i can encouage her without mentally scaring her:rolleyes:

amirose
19-06-2009, 03:17 PM
No practical ideas I am afraid but thats very strange - most kids love new toys :eek:

When I first started reading I thought maybe she was screaming because the bear wasn't her bear and it wasn't because she was afraid - just expressing she didn't want it - but then you said she does it with other new things too?

Thinking about it I perhaps would try taking her to a charity shop and letting her choose something to buy and take home and see how she reacts.

sweets
19-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Thats a strange one! lol not liking new toys, is it just teddies she's scared of or any toy?
Personally if find teddies a bit freaky too!lol

miffy
19-06-2009, 04:08 PM
That is funny - usually children's natural curiousity takes over and they will investigate the new things.

Perhaps best to avoid the stuffed toys for a while.

Miffy xx

PixiePetal
19-06-2009, 04:09 PM
My son didn't like big things with eyes on. :rolleyes:

Once on holiday I had to tie up a pretty fabric lampshade in his bedroom cos it looked like it had eyes!

Still doesn't like Henry Hoovers either - he is 12 now - but will tolerate them. He wouldn't sleep if one was in his bedroom though.

Soft toys he was ok with as long as they were not huge but as for people in full character costumes like Noddy or Kipper, forget it.

Luckily most things could be avoided, not sure what to do about a child who is scared of everything though.

kindredspirits
19-06-2009, 08:47 PM
its not just teddies it's absolutely everything - at childminders group today she kept pointing at a babys toy horse - i said do you want the horse, she nodded, i tried to give it to her and she freaked out - same with a dolly even though she was carrying around her own dolly today, a 'new' dolly scared the wits out of her!! weird!

sweets
19-06-2009, 09:03 PM
poor little thing! she'll have to get over that!
I expect her worst nightmare would be a trip to toys r us,were as most kids love it!
I wonder why she is so scared? has mum any idea why?

haribo
20-06-2009, 12:09 PM
thats strange ,poor little thing . did it start only when her comforter was repaired ?? if so seems its freaked her out a bit :eek: id speak to mum see what happened to her teddy it may shed some light maybe x

jibberjitz
20-06-2009, 12:11 PM
awww bless her - never heard of a child been scared of new toys before!