PDA

View Full Version : Paddling pools

Polly2
19-06-2009, 07:31 AM
Hi all
I have recently bought a very small paddling pool.

I am unsure whether to:

a) write a paddling pool policy - if so I would put - children never left unattended, phone switched off, mobile in pocket, suncream on , t shirts on. (anything I have forgotten here???????)

b) write a paddling pool permission - I give permission for my child to play in Holly's paddling pool ... (anything else I need to put here???)

c) mention it in newsletter asking parents to say if they have any objections.

d) do all three of the above :D

What do you guys do?? Have looked on bromley and there is nothing on there for small pools just big ones.

Thanks in advance xx

Pipsqueak
19-06-2009, 07:44 AM
A and B!!! lol and I would put it in the newsletter to asking parents to supply appropriate clothing, suncream and a hat! Objections clause not necessary if you are getting them to sign permission and doing a policy. (both of which you could attach to the newsletter and make clear that you have to have the permission form back to allow their child to play in it).

Just a quick question though - you have the weather for it??????? Where are you???? lol

Nix
19-06-2009, 08:23 AM
A and B!!! lol and I would put it in the newsletter to asking parents to supply appropriate clothing, suncream and a hat! Ol

Ditto to above and...

Look again at Bromley site as surely a paddling pool is a paddling pool regardless of whether it is a large one or a small one!!:D

Chatterbox Childcare
19-06-2009, 09:31 AM
I wouldn't do any of it. Just add the pool into outside equipment policy. No permission necessary that I can think of.

sonia ann
19-06-2009, 10:04 AM
my paddling pool is in outside toys and garden risk assessment...never thought about permission for the children to use it.........i have a general permission to use outside play equipment....isn't that enough?

Polly2
19-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Right so Debbie then would you give parents copy of revised outdoor equipment policy? Maybe attached to newsletter??

Stressing a bit because always been too nervous to let kids play in pool but hubby has convinced me it will be fine :D and I am a good cm and I can handle it :D :D

I think I would like their signed permission also - I have done for trampoline and I am stressing more about pool that that :laughing:

Oh and I am in SUNNY Wales of course :clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

Allie
19-06-2009, 10:24 AM
I do a and b but also take everything I may need outside with me, so the changing bag, potty etc are ready if needed.

Allie

Mouse
19-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I include the paddling pool in my outdoor toys policy.

I don't specifically ask parents' permission to use it. They know we have one out (when weather permits) and trust me to use my common sense :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
19-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Right so Debbie then would you give parents copy of revised outdoor equipment policy? Maybe attached to newsletter??

Stressing a bit because always been too nervous to let kids play in pool but hubby has convinced me it will be fine :D and I am a good cm and I can handle it :D :D

I think I would like their signed permission also - I have done for trampoline and I am stressing more about pool that that :laughing:

Oh and I am in SUNNY Wales of course :clapping: :laughing: :clapping:

Sorry don't do newsletters or copies of policies. Would advise parents verbally (I talk alot!) and then when I do a review we would look at the policies again.

Daftbat
19-06-2009, 11:26 AM
I have have used paddling pools whilst working in the past but found the whole thing really difficult and stressful. Now instead i have a play table with water for them to play with and i spray water over children too - they love it!

Because i am so busy with children i find it easier to reduce the stress so that i am not having to bring them all inside if the door bell goes (wringing wet!) or i need to answer the phone etc.

I have a paddling pool that my own children use at weekends. I have also been to parks with minded children that have a paddling pool and that has been much easier as i would normally go to these places with another minder - 2 sets of eyes:D

sweets
19-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I bought a paddling pool afew weeks ago,1st time i got it out i was super organised, had 3 sets of clothes and towel outside ready for after, i had mobile and house phone outside, nappies, wipes EVERYTHING. i spent ages blowing the thing up and filling it, 2 mindees got in 3rd one just cried! mindees said after 20 mins, 'can we get out now'! what a faff, they play with water for much longer when i just fill a stacker up with it and put it outside on the bench.

Then i had the problem of emptying the fliipin pool! lol

Its now in the back of the shed:laughing:

Polly2
19-06-2009, 11:40 AM
:laughing: :laughing: kids eh!!! ha ha

miffy
19-06-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't specifically ask parents' permission to use it. They know we have one out (when weather permits) and trust me to use my common sense :thumbsup:

Same here but like Penny, I find the water play table a lot more useful and definitely less stressful!

Miffy xx

Deb
19-06-2009, 04:22 PM
I wouldnt do any of it either - and why are you turning your phone off?

Twinkles
19-06-2009, 06:56 PM
I have a seperate policy as it ( paddling pool ) poses more of a risk than say trikes etc. In mine it says if I have to go indoors to answer the front door then all children have to come in with me.
I take a portable 'phone into the garden with me.And a bag of towels/suncream/drinks etc soI'm less likely to need to keep going indoors.

Polly2
19-06-2009, 10:24 PM
I meant switch phone to answer machine.

Thanks for all replys its good to see how others do things:)