PDA

View Full Version : what would you do if a cheque bounced?

Ben10mad
18-06-2009, 10:30 PM
Hiya
I have a parent coming tomorrow looking for childcare for her two children.
She would like to pay with cheque which i dont have a problem with but what would you do if it bounced?
would you charge for it bouncing if so how much by?

Farrah x

aly
18-06-2009, 10:36 PM
definitely charge for bouncing..make sure its stated soewhere too

Deb
18-06-2009, 10:42 PM
definitely charge for bouncing..make sure its stated soewhere too

What ever the bank charged me I guess. I would offer direct transfer as an option too.

rickysmiths
18-06-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't think the bank would charge you if someone elses cheque bounced. They would be charged by their bank.
What I have done in these circumstances is to expect payment in full in cash within 24hrs of notifying the parent the cheque has bounced. If this doen't happen then my late payment charge is added and back dated to the payment day. They still have to make this payment in cash.

If they bounch a cheque a second time then they loose their options of how to pay me because I will then only accept payment in cash, in full on the first Mon of the month.

I guess I am a bit funny but I never give any of my parents my bank details, so I don't allow them to pay direct into my account. They have to pay by Childcare vouchers, cheque or cash.

aly
18-06-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't think the bank would charge you if someone elses cheque bounced. They would be charged by their bank.
What I have done in these circumstances is to expect payment in full in cash within 24hrs of notifying the parent the cheque has bounced. If this doen't happen then my late payment charge is added and back dated to the payment day. They still have to make this payment in cash.

If they bounch a cheque a second time then they loose their options of how to payme because I will then only accept payment in cash, in full on the first Mon of the month.

I guess I am a bit funny but I never give any of my parents my bank details, so I don't allow them to pay direct into my account. They have to pay by Childcare vouchers, cheque or cash.

good advice:thumbsup:

charleyfarley
19-06-2009, 05:48 AM
When I had a returned cheque I gave it back to the parent and asked for cash. I didn't charge an extra fee for it bouncing as I didn't incur any charges but if it had made me go overdrawn then yes I would charge extra.

I try not to accept cheques unless they are for my own bank as they clear the same day.

Carol xx

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 06:18 AM
I had a cheque that bounced

I made the parent then pay by cash I was not charged but they were by their bank

The only way it could affect you is if you had payments going out for bills and you had expected the cheque to clear
If that were the case I would make the parent pay my bank charges if any

I always make sure that parents pay at least 3 to 5 days in advance if they pay by cheque so that it clears on payment day
They sign to agree to this and also sign to agree to pay bank charges
There can be no come back then

Good luck with the parent

Angel xx

sonia ann
19-06-2009, 06:34 AM
I had a cheque that bounced only last week ( but the first time in 13yrs ).
the mum was mortified when I told her as she believed that she had funds to cover it, poor girl was so embarrassed. She paid me later that day with cash....so no problems..it wasn't a large amount any way as she only comes once every fortnight. however if it happens again I will ask for cash in future. :) My bank did not charge me.:)

angeldelight
19-06-2009, 06:35 AM
I had a cheque that bounced only last week ( but the first time in 13yrs ).
the mum was mortified when I told her as she believed that she had funds to cover it, poor girl was so embarrassed. She paid me later that day with cash....so no problems..it wasn't a large amount any way as she only comes once every fortnight. however if it happens again I will ask for cash in future. :) My bank did not charge me.:)

you dont mind do you when you can tell they are really sorry and at least she paid you straight away with cash so you knew she was not trying to get out of paying you

It makes all the difference

Angel xx

sonia ann
19-06-2009, 06:39 AM
you dont mind do you when you can tell they are really sorry and at least she paid you straight away with cash so you knew she was not trying to get out of paying you

It makes all the difference

Angel xx

thats right....I think I was just as embarrassed having to tell her it had bounced in the first place because i knew she would be upset:)

Louise_Oaktree
19-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a family who used to pay late and it got later, and later until then a cheque bounced. I gave them to the end of the week to pay in cash. The following month the same happened again so I only accept cash from that particular family now and since then they have paid on time and in cash :)

Personally I don't like having large amounts of cash in the house but I would rather this than not be paid at all.

My other family pay by bank transfer as they are with the same bank and it goes in same day :D

miffy
19-06-2009, 04:12 PM

If they bounch a cheque a second time then they loose their options of how to pay me because I will then only accept payment in cash, in full on the first Mon of the month.

I would do the same!

Miffy xx

Star
20-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Hi, I would ask for cash in the future too, so as it doesnt cause problems again.

Star :)