PDA

View Full Version : reflecting on your practice!

cabby
18-06-2009, 06:45 PM
hi, sorry not sure if ive posted this in the right place?

my problem is that i have a nvq assessement tomorrow, and i know one of the questions she is going to ask me is "how do you reflect on your practice"

ive for some stupid reason had complete brain failure:blush: all i can think to say is that by doing my sef i think about how i run my setting, it makes me think about how i can improve my setting, is this the sort of thing they mean?huh:

any help would be very much appreciated.x

Pipsqueak
18-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Reflecting - doesn't just mean critisicing yourself/practice.

Ok - when you have done an activity you reflect to see what went well, what didn't, did you have enough of everything for everyone involved, what did you need to change or would change for next time, allow for enough time, why did it go well (children engaged/interested etc)

You review your policies - whats working well for you, why you have changed things, why you aren't chaning things.

You look at your outdoor provision (garden) - you would like to change/add - the children specifcally enjoy - how could you enhance this..

Meal times - you perhaps serve a rolling menu - why might you change it, portion sizes etc

How do you know what you are doing well? Parents/child feedback - what do you do with this information.

Hope some of those examples help

sarah707
18-06-2009, 07:20 PM
When you do activities you think back later and ask yourself...

did all the children get the best from teh activity?

was everyone engaged and happy to take part?

did you meet each child's individual needs?

what might you do differently next time?

were all the resources appropriate for all the children?

how could you improve what you said / did / your involvement etc?

Next time you read books with children, tape record yourself.

Listen back later when they've gone home and think about...

what you said;

what the children said;

who said most;

was it a question and answer session?

were the children really engaged?

who made suggestions and who didn't speak?

were you meeting the needs of all the children with the book you / they chose?

do you sound like a branch of the Spanish inquisition or are you gently teasing ideas out of the children?

Now think about how you can change your practice to better suit the needs of the children... that's reflection.

Good luck with your assessment :D

Pipsqueak
18-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Sarah explains it soooo much better!:clapping: :clapping:

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 08:21 PM
When you do activities you think back later and ask yourself...

did all the children get the best from teh activity?

was everyone engaged and happy to take part?

did you meet each child's individual needs?

what might you do differently next time?

were all the resources appropriate for all the children?

how could you improve what you said / did / your involvement etc?

Next time you read books with children, tape record yourself.

Listen back later when they've gone home and think about...

what you said;

what the children said;

who said most;

was it a question and answer session?

were the children really engaged?

who made suggestions and who didn't speak?

were you meeting the needs of all the children with the book you / they chose?

do you sound like a branch of the Spanish inquisition or are you gently teasing ideas out of the children?

Now think about how you can change your practice to better suit the needs of the children... that's reflection.

Good luck with your assessment :D

Couldn't have explained it better.

Also, critical incidents (good or bad ones), how did you handle it, why did you, what could/would you do differently what was the outcome. Have you changed your policies as a result or put action plan/changed risk assessments as a result.

Parent feedback forms are also a form of reflection, getting feedback on your practice from a "customer" point of view.

You might reflect on your fees, hours if you are negatively affected. As we do on the forum get advice on issues that are affecting us and how we deal with it. Everytime you ask for advice and make a decision or change you are reflecting on practice and making changes. If you are a happier person you are providing better care for children and better service to the parents.

Good luck!

cabby
18-06-2009, 09:37 PM
thank you all!!!

it seems soooo obvious now, :blush: had baby brain all week!!
thanks again
karen.x