PDA

View Full Version : daily diary

mammumof4
18-06-2009, 05:32 PM
what do you include, i started off with everything from times of nappy changes,milk given,naps,activities,mood of the child,what they played with,outings,what they ate/drank. and maybe more,clip art on every page and a cute little boarder on every page, looks nice!!:) but then thought about how much ink im going to get though!! can i afford to do this for every child,every day? thoughts please:D :D
oh and do you do a weekly/monthy aswell or instead off?? and what about news letters? so confused now!:laughing:

and more to the point, do the parents read and appreciate it??

Curly Quavers
18-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I think daily diaries are worth it and Newsletters

My daily Diaries are just A5 pucka pads they are the easiest possible way to show you communicate with parents.

huggableshelly
18-06-2009, 05:39 PM
mine are just the A5 size excersie books with hand written information

no fancy pages but newsletters are printed out with clipart .. not that parents read them!

Chimps Childminding
18-06-2009, 05:50 PM
mine are just the A5 size excersie books with hand written information

no fancy pages but newsletters are printed out with clipart .. not that parents read them!

Same here!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mammumof4
18-06-2009, 08:13 PM
thanks, i will save my ink then :D :D

sophiestars
18-06-2009, 08:24 PM
I use A6 notebooks and despite intending to just keep it brief I do write a detailed summary of their day. It's all worth it as I have just got my parental questionnaires back and all the parents said they really like the diaries because they know what their child has been doing all day whereas nurseries wouldn't be able to give that detail. They also said it shows that I know their children really well from the comments i make.

I also put alongside the text in the diaries little colour coded stickers relating to the 6 areas of learning with a key at the front of the diary explaining them eg 'M enjoyed the sponge painting at playgroup today' and I will put a yellow sticker next to it relating to Creative Development.

I also just gave out newsletters which my parents were all gobsmacked about!! These were just a double sided A4 sheet.

Louise_Oaktree
19-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I bought some really goood A5 printed daily diaries from someone who makes them on ebay. They are really basic but work brilliantly and it doesn't take ages filling it in.

Date
Time arrived and with who
Time left and with who
Breakfast, snack, Lunch, snack, Dinner
Bottles Fl Oz / Time given
Nappies Time / wet or soiled
Space for activities done today
Space for Milestones
Space for CM and Parent Comments

I have started using one of these with the newest child but the other one leaves in September and anything I send home (spare clothes, diaries, toys) I never see again so I don't bother :blush:

I think I paid about £3.99 each which is really cheap for full timers but if you have a lot of part time mindees it could get expensive.

ORKSIE
19-06-2009, 01:57 PM
I use a note book and write down pretty much what you said:)

mammumof4
19-06-2009, 10:52 PM
i love that idea with the stickers sophiestars!! mrs Ofsted will love that:clapping: :clapping:

miffy
19-06-2009, 10:55 PM
I do daily diaries - two days to an A4 sheet - just a brief resume of the day.

Newsletters once a month, usually one A4 sheet

Miffy xx