PDA

View Full Version : Bad Morning

Lily Grace
18-06-2009, 01:35 PM
I had a really bad morning with my before and after schoolers. Their behaviour was unacceptable and I now have to tell the parents. They were all being really nasty to each other and I had to tell them off. One mindee has always been naughty and the parents are aware of X's behaviour. If X is in a bad mood then it affects all the rest of the kids as he winds them up. This is the part I hate telling parents that their kids were little brats this morning!!

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 01:41 PM
not nice, but look for something positive they do after school today. Tell parents about this morning being difficult then you can say, but they have also been helpful/funny/kind etc.

If they're in the same mood after school and you can't find anything positive, you just have to let them know it wasn't a good day. I would avoid the 'n' word though - maybe say we've not been in a good mood/humour today and we've had some rudeness (or whatever)...and you had to speak to them about it.

Good luck

LOL

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2009, 01:52 PM
Why do you need to tell the parents? I just deal with it otherwise what should be just a telling off in the morning drags on into the rest of the day - bit like "wait till your father gets home"

I also think that if I kept telling parents would they think that I couldn't cope? Also if I tell them when I really need their help I get it (this is not too often)

Lily Grace
18-06-2009, 01:58 PM
The parents want to know when x is naughty as we have had a few problems and does calm down for a bit when the parents are aware of his behaviour. The other mum told me to tell her if I have any problems to let her know, they were not listening to me this morning and I was ready to pack minding in and run away!!

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 03:16 PM
also agree if you've had to 'have words' with an older child I would let parents know in case the child was upset/worried about it at home later on. Make a point of saying it's done and dusted though.

Mollymop
18-06-2009, 03:32 PM
I know how you are feeling. I look after a 6 year old boy tues to thurs mornings from 7am til 9am. He constantly argues with the other children especially my son who is 10, it causes my son to react in the same way as the 6 year old - so most mornings we have arguments. He is such a little "geezer" and very wise for his age, know what to say to push the wrong buttons.
I have told mum a few times over the 8 months I have had him, but lately I have given up because I all I get from mum is, well that's boys for you. You've dealt with it" End of story!

I now explain to him/tell him off when he is disruptive, ban him from playing with what he wants in the mornings, etc. I treat him like my own child - he gets upset when he is told off, but I never explain to mum anymore, because I get no support from her whatso ever.

I hope things get better for you and hope mum is a lot more supportive than my "old school" mum.

Lily Grace
18-06-2009, 05:16 PM
I feel a bit better about it now. I have a rotton cold and I could have done without hassle this morning. Thanks for advice though. I only have him for a couple hours a week and school hols but he is hard work!

Curly Quavers
18-06-2009, 05:42 PM
I think for older kids you do need to tell parents because they could have issues that go deeper and need sorting out at home as well as with you. Older kids know better

however I don't think the same for toddlers if they are naughty in my house and I deal with it (as long as it is not terrible behaviour) then it is finished with I wouldn't tell parents. Because they would just take the toddler home and give the child an other telling off for which the child would not know why.

I hope that makes some kind of sense.

Lily Grace
18-06-2009, 06:58 PM
I try and deal with the problem then and there but with the older kids their parents have told me to tell them if there are any problems. I have said to mindee "how old are you now, ohh 6 years olds dont really hit, kick, spit, run in the road without me anymore do they and I know you are a good boy" doesn't always work but it seems to make him stop and think.