PDA

View Full Version : what should I do? she wont eat

mozarella
18-06-2009, 11:22 AM
The 4 year old girl i look after just got into a mood and I dont know why, we had lovely morning, she sat for lunch , i offered tune sweet corn sandwich, ham and cheese sandwich or pasta ! she nods she doesnt want any nor even a desert !!! and she is now sitting at the table not telling what the matter is ....

venus89
18-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Is she your only one today? If so, and as it's a one off, I'd be tempted to let her get down and try again in half an hour.......

mozarella
18-06-2009, 11:32 AM
no, i have her brother too, i will wait a bit and if still no success i will ring the mum fof advice

Andrea08
18-06-2009, 11:34 AM
i agree also if no lunch then no sweets b4 the next meal , give her space and try later and by tea time she will eat everything lol

my 4 yr old has had little or no food for ages now it must be the 3rd week all because she is saving herself for Cr** with mum at supper time!!

just cana win !!

good luck hun x

sue m
18-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Glad it's not just me, my 23 month old hardly eats lunch but she always wants yoghurt or a biscuit and I don't let her. :ohdear: She doesn't cry, she knows and when she says she's finished I ask her to eat a little bit more and she looks like she is going to cry - just a ploy that doesn't work with me - and she will sit there while her brother has a yoghurt. Her choice. They don't get anything to eat all morning apart from a little biscuit which they always have on arrival with a drink. They have an apple or pear in the afternoon and raisins too.

cuffleygirl
18-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Ignore it, children don't starve themselves, distract with a different activity for the time being if she doesn't want to join in initially do it with her brother odds on she will come and join in when she sees what she is missing and then offer a snack/lunch a little later. Maybe she's just not hungry yet?

Blackhorse
18-06-2009, 11:46 AM
I agree with cuffleygirl!!

Also I don't think I would phone mum about her not eating her lunch.
In my mind that would not be serious enough to bother mum at work (or wherever she might be)
Please don't get me wrong here, but I think I would think it is odd if a cm phoned me to ask for advice about my child not eating his/her lunch.
If it is an ongoing thing I would discuss it with mum of course, but in person to discuss if it is the same at home and what she would like to do as part of behaviour management.

add on: sorry I was sure I read you were going to phone mum as to what to do,...now I can't find that anywhere anymore..I think I am going crazy

mozarella
18-06-2009, 11:51 AM
that is it, she is fine now, sorry, i should have just waited , thanks for the advices

Moz

Hebs
18-06-2009, 11:55 AM
my fri only mindee hardly eats either

mentioned it to mum and shes like that at home

The Juggler
18-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Glad it's not just me, my 23 month old hardly eats lunch but she always wants yoghurt or a biscuit and I don't let her. :ohdear: She doesn't cry, she knows and when she says she's finished I ask her to eat a little bit more and she looks like she is going to cry - just a ploy that doesn't work with me - and she will sit there while her brother has a yoghurt. Her choice. They don't get anything to eat all morning apart from a little biscuit which they always have on arrival with a drink. They have an apple or pear in the afternoon and raisins too.

sooo glad it's not just me that is so strict at mealtimes!

singlewiththree
18-06-2009, 03:24 PM
My mum came round today and threw my daughters lunch away, it was 2.45 by this point and my DD still hadn't eaten it and I hadn't let her have anything else, my mum said I was being cruel :angry:

sarah707
18-06-2009, 06:33 PM
My mum came round today and threw my daughters lunch away, it was 2.45 by this point and my DD still hadn't eaten it and I hadn't let her have anything else, my mum said I was being cruel :angry:

Yes but I bet that's because it was granny talking... :rolleyes:

You're not cruel x

sue m
18-06-2009, 06:56 PM
sooo glad it's not just me that is so strict at mealtimes!

I'm a wicked childminder! ;) I forgot to say, the kids are only here for 5.5 hours a day and they have a cooked meal at home in the evening so I know they are getting good food. They would eat biscuits all day if I let them. They always have a biscuit when they arrive at 9:30, they don't have anything else till 12 when they have lunch cos I know they won't eat that and then we have fruit in the afternoon and they go home at 2:30. I don't starve them, honest!!! :littleangel: :D

mandy moo
18-06-2009, 07:20 PM
My 22 mth old mindee wont (from experiance) eat his lunch if he has more than a biscuit or a 1/4 of apple, or few grapes, or a few strawberry's etc

We have a snack of a few grapes or whatever 10.30 ish then thats it till lunch time..
He now eats his lunch mum provides..
3.30 ish when my 2 get in from school we have a small snack, normally a adult size yoghurt or pot of fruit mum sends with him, to keep him going till tea time at his house.