PDA

View Full Version : NVQ in Childcare help please?

jessie1
18-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Hi

I am really looking for someone to tell me the difference or at least tell me what is expected of me. Whilst advertising I am looking into maybe doing a course as the free ones that are offered by TRIO are very far.
I am fairly new to the actual childminding and have done my Unit 1. I contacted the training provider to put my name on the waiting list should a space on any of the other 5 units become available. But our nearby college are offering NVQ's but on a different campus.
Firstly if I only did all the basic courses for childminding does that mean I am on Level 1. Therefore what is my next move because I am not sitting here waiting for a waiting list.

These are in the brochure.

NVQ Child Care Learning/Development Level 2
http://www.abingdon-witney.ac.uk/course?MasterCode=CPAC301P

and

NVQ Level 3 in Childcare, Learning and Development
http://www.abingdon-witney.ac.uk/course?MasterCode=CPAF303P

So therefore which one is my next step please.

oh and what is this for the more senior people out there.
Foundation Degree Early Years (Senior Practitioners)
http://www.abingdon-witney.ac.uk/course?MasterCode=CHAB305P.
Oops it does say "Senior Practitioners"

Please any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Roseolivia
18-06-2009, 06:34 AM
You are best doing NVQ 3 as the government are wanting all childcarers be L3 qualified in years to come. Getting L3 means you can be a room supervisor in a nursery etc. You don't have to do the other units of the DHC but if it's offered you may as well especially if you're new to childminding. I wouldn't do Foundation Degree unless you've worked with children for a while or done a l3.

jessie1
18-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for reply so does that mean I register straight for the Level 3 and not for the Level 2.
Also what level am I after doing just the basic courses?
Thanks

miffy
18-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Childminding is considered a Level 3 job so yes you'd be best going straight for that.

Miffy xx

Roseolivia
18-06-2009, 11:24 AM
Thanks for reply so does that mean I register straight for the Level 3 and not for the Level 2.
Also what level am I after doing just the basic courses?
Thanks

If you did the DHC you'd be a level 3 but it's not recognised in nurseries as it's a home-based qualification. I'd go for the NVQ L3 because you may want to work in another childcare setting at some point.

Andrea08
18-06-2009, 11:31 AM
Dito,,, Level 3 is the best way to go hun

also do or will you get funding to do this? ask your Development officer ok

good luck xx

Deb
25-06-2009, 07:09 PM
level 3 NVq CCLD - also you should get funding throught the Graduate Leader Fund. good luck. do you have a level 2 (gcse) in maths and english?

Rasharoon
25-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Having started Unit 3 of the DHC, I decided I was wasting my time as I don't want to be a childminder forever (mean't in a nice way) so am waiting to find out if I can get funding for the NVQ to do this from home and I've a local pre-school who'd be happy for me to be a student as I'd like to move into working at a pre-school/nursery.
Good luck.