PDA

View Full Version : Policies - How to get them noticed!

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I have a file with my policies in in the entrance hall which is there for parents to access should they want or need to. I show this file to all prospective parents but I have found either they aren't interested in them at all (even change subject and talk about something else) or it just scares them into thinking I am not flexible :(

The file is ever expanding as new policies pop into my head and I can't help feeling like it's not working. It is evident from how my parents behave that they are unaware of most of my policies such as not smoking on my doorstep (yes this really happens), bringing sick children, not providing suncream etc.

Does anyone have any tips for policies?

I am thinking of a website then it is there for them to access when getting to know me before they start or as a reference point in case they are afraid to ask...then I was thinking how can I condense them into an easy to read booklet - perhaps get some printed?

OFSTED weren't interested either (I mainly did it for them!) saying they would rather question me about them as they could be copied anyway!

Help - I want to re-do them all so I can update them but I don't see the point if no one is going to read them!

Also I was led to believe that parents should sign all of them to state that they agree to them all?

Pudding Girl
17-06-2009, 08:18 PM
After feedback from parental questionnaires I condensed my policies into an a5 comb bound handbook for the parents to keep, but still have the big file at home on the shelf in the unlikely event anyone other than Mrs. I. N. Spectre wants a look.

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 08:19 PM
The only way I can think of getting your policies noticed by parents would be to perhaps sit on top of them naked??? Attach money to them????

The policies are pointless bits of paper that we painstakingly and proudly put together so that 'clients' can just say 6months down the line - 'oh I didn't know that - you should have said':rolleyes:

I will add that I have a back sheet - which lists each policy and a space for the parents to tick to say they have read and understood each one and they sign at the bottom of the sheet.

sarah707
17-06-2009, 08:23 PM
You could add important bits from them to your newsletters like...

May 2009 - please don't bring sick children

June 2009 - please don't bring sick children

July 2009 - please don't bring sick children

You never know, they might notice then :D

Mouse
17-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Once a child starts with me I give the parents a copy of all of my policies & a form to sign to say thay they've read them. It's also in my 'info for parents' that the folder is available for them at any time. No one has ever asked to see them!

I know a lot of parents don't ever read them and I can't force them to. I do my bit by giving them the policies & asking them to read them.

If I need to bring their attention to a particular policy I write about it in my monthly newsletter & attach a copy of that particular policy.

Pudding Girl
17-06-2009, 08:25 PM
tut tut tut Sarah *shakes head*

you are assuming that they even bother to read the newsletters! ;) :littleangel:

sarah707
17-06-2009, 08:50 PM
:doh: Silly me!

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 08:59 PM
After feedback from parental questionnaires I condensed my policies into an a5 comb bound handbook for the parents to keep, but still have the big file at home on the shelf in the unlikely event anyone other than Mrs. I. N. Spectre wants a look.

Phew - and there was me thinking it was only my policies that parents weren't interested in!

I like the handbook idea...:clapping:

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 09:02 PM
You could add important bits from them to your newsletters like...

May 2009 - please don't bring sick children

June 2009 - please don't bring sick children

July 2009 - please don't bring sick children

You never know, they might notice then :D

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tell you what DID work - I put a note on one of my newsletters thanking those parents who paid me regularly on time ;) seems a guilt trip is sometimes what is really needed :blush:

Deb
17-06-2009, 09:06 PM
I do a monthly focus and have it pinned on the notice board and give them all a copy.

I also have changed my policies and now only have 2 main policies, Staying Safe and Keeping Healthy - everything tends to fall into those.

Pedagog
17-06-2009, 10:07 PM
I have large Policy folder, but also give parents all the policies and other information on a CD-Rom.

Ripeberry
18-06-2009, 08:38 AM
I give them an information pack and state in there " Please take time to read the enclosed policies as they are part of the contract and you will be asked to sign to confirm that you have read and understood them".
Bit harsh maybe, but if people don't read policies then they can't complain later! :p

Bananabrain
18-06-2009, 11:56 AM
The only way I can think of getting your policies noticed by parents would be to perhaps sit on top of them naked??? Attach money to them????

The policies are pointless bits of paper that we painstakingly and proudly put together so that 'clients' can just say 6months down the line - 'oh I didn't know that - you should have said':rolleyes:

I will add that I have a back sheet - which lists each policy and a space for the parents to tick to say they have read and understood each one and they sign at the bottom of the sheet.

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1: Pip you make me die.

I always make a point of saying 'take all the paperwork home and read it,and if there is anything at all that you're not happy with,or anything you don't understand,come back to me. I know it's a lot of stuff to be bombarded with but please read it and feel free to ask any questions or phone me'

Do you think that any parent has ever done that????:laughing:

Then they have the audacity 6 months down the line to say:'I didn't know you were going on holiday that week'

Errrr.........yes you did because I gave you my dates in writing in January.

Soooo many times in this job I have said that I feel like I'm talking a different language to everyone else! Can't understand how some of my parents manage to dress themselves in the morning let alone read my paperwork.

Newsletters.............Ha Ha don't make me laugh.

Zoemum2four
18-06-2009, 01:07 PM
When parent come to visit me for the first time i give them my policies to have a look through, but if they sign contracts with me i give the a copy on disc of all policies i have at that time and then send home any new ones as and when i up date them or get new ones, i also ask that they sign to say the have recieved my policies....

cuffleygirl
18-06-2009, 01:18 PM
My policies were my inspectors big hang up she wanted two re-worded - and wanted to see the parents signature as to having received a copy.

I felt my policies were clear and most importantly the parents understood them too - the two she picked up on hadn't changed since the last inspection and that (different inspector) commended me on them!

But frankly if she wants to pick up on what really was something insignificant and didn't change the meaning of the policy in anyway let her! She, the mindees and their parents are all v. happy with care!

uf353432
18-06-2009, 01:55 PM
I have mine listed on my website - if I update them I alert parents on the website and prompt in a newsletter each month as well. When a parent signs a contract they also sign a permission slip confirming they have read the policies on my website - this also tells them that the policies are printed at home for them to read at any time.

I also give them a DL sized roll fold leaflet which outlines all the policies again, and bullet points about the essential stuff including safeguarding.

I can't do any more than that really.

debs

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2009, 02:03 PM
I have a file with my policies in in the entrance hall which is there for parents to access should they want or need to. I show this file to all prospective parents but I have found either they aren't interested in them at all (even change subject and talk about something else) or it just scares them into thinking I am not flexible :(

The file is ever expanding as new policies pop into my head and I can't help feeling like it's not working. It is evident from how my parents behave that they are unaware of most of my policies such as not smoking on my doorstep (yes this really happens), bringing sick children, not providing suncream etc.

Does anyone have any tips for policies?

I am thinking of a website then it is there for them to access when getting to know me before they start or as a reference point in case they are afraid to ask...then I was thinking how can I condense them into an easy to read booklet - perhaps get some printed?

OFSTED weren't interested either (I mainly did it for them!) saying they would rather question me about them as they could be copied anyway!

Help - I want to re-do them all so I can update them but I don't see the point if no one is going to read them!

Also I was led to believe that parents should sign all of them to state that they agree to them all?

I listed all my policies in one letter and asked the parents to sign - none took up the offer of taking them away to read but to be honest my policies are a reflection of my practice which I constatnly demonstrate and reiterate to them - I emphasize the application of sun cream at home as I do not have it in my house for them to use.