PDA

View Full Version : Wow read this childminder thread on Martin's Money!

Spangles
17-06-2009, 08:03 PM
I just came across this by accident!

Wow!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1753439&highlight=used+car

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 08:12 PM
:eek: :eek: shocking.
And some of the replies:eek: even more shocking.

Hebs
17-06-2009, 08:20 PM
makes for interesting reading and i'm only on page 4 :eek:

mum needs to have more control over her kid too :mad:

TheBTeam
17-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Not sure what to say, i think some of the replies left me speechless.

Curly Quavers
17-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Yes some of those replies were awful our forum is sooooo much nicer.

That CM needs strung up.

Hebs
17-06-2009, 08:24 PM
dont take him shopping............ hmmm ofsted like them to have different learning opportunities

Lady Haha
17-06-2009, 08:37 PM
dont take him shopping............ hmmm ofsted like them to have different learning opportunities

Yes, but I think they meant don't go out on a shopping spree with your mum whilst caring for other peoples children!

That was alot of reading I have to say!!!!

Hebs
17-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Yes, but I think they meant don't go out on a shopping spree with your mum whilst caring for other peoples children!

That was alot of reading I have to say!!!!

yes but as one poster said how do we know she was clothes shopping, she might have been going for food :)

mum should have spoke the the CM and got the full facts to be honest

she can't get advice on half a story :thumbsup:

Spangles
17-06-2009, 08:49 PM
No but regardless of the situation, the childminder should not have smacked the child and seems to have done so on various other occasions as well.

I was only looking for info on buying a used car - goodness knows how that came up!

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 08:51 PM
I am totally against smacking, but what if it happens in the heat of the moment so to speak? If you are worried, panicked etc? What do you do then?
I mean we are all capable of making mistakes once in a while?

I am astounded at some of the replies and the way people speak to each other!!!

I am off now reading some more...

Spangles
17-06-2009, 08:53 PM
I know, that shocked me too. It's a totally different atmosphere to the one on this forum.

Mouse
17-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I haven't gone through all the posts, but I'm really surprised at the ones saying they can understand why she did it! I thought it would be a real 'have a go at childminders' thread, but a lot seem to be saying they don't see anything wrong with it. We normally get it in the neck over silly little things, but when it's something illegal (smacking a child in her care) there seems to be a lot of support for her..bizarre!

RedDragon
17-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I have only read the opening post and a couple of the replies but the 1st thing that hit me (no pun intended) was if the place had to be shut down for 10 mins and the child was lost for 10 mins how come the parent wasn't informed straight away! It would be a major incident for me and I would be talking about it with fellow CM (confidentiality hopefully not breached because she is on my Register as an assistant) for days.

Spangles
17-06-2009, 09:01 PM
You HAVE to report an incident of that nature to Ofsted and the parent.

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 09:03 PM
on a tangent but

Here's a quote from one of the replies

"Is it just my kids who wander off every now and then and only me who doesn't have a conniption about it? Clearly I am a terrible parent lol."

Pipsqueak, is it you???????????

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Wow! What can i say ?
I only got to page two before I lost patience with it !

As we all know no childminder should EVER smack - end of.

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 09:06 PM
on a tangent but

Here's a quote from one of the replies

"Is it just my kids who wander off every now and then and only me who doesn't have a conniption about it? Clearly I am a terrible parent lol."

Pipsqueak, is it you???????????

lol - I don't let me kids wander off - I encourage them to hide then I run as fast as I can!!! lol

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 09:08 PM
I'd never even heard this word before and now twice in a week!

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 09:10 PM
OMG...I mean that can't be the point either surely??

I told my friend in USA about this .. she is a registered childminder who, at the moment, has 6 under 4 year olds to mind Mondays to Saturdays.

She was aghast about this so-called childminder going shopping with her mother whilst she was supposedly in charge of your child.

Kathy NEVER takes the kids out of the house or garden. Her house is like Fort Knox and so too is her garden ... when it is raining they play games indoors and do activities like crafting, making cards, painting etc ... if it is a good day they are ALL out playing in the garden.

Pipsqueak
I'd never even heard this word before and now twice in a week!

Told ya its a good word!!!:D

ORKSIE
My daughter did exactly this in BHS. I was frantic, she was about 5 yrs old.
When I eventually found her, i didnt smack her, but i made her realise that she had scared me whitless.
I can remember giving her a big cuddle cos I was so pleased at finding her:)

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 09:11 PM
OMG...I mean that can't be the point either surely??

Poor kids if they're never taken out !

Deb
17-06-2009, 09:11 PM
I am dumbfounded. So many flavours of wrong I dont know where to start, I really really dont.

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 09:19 PM
me again...

but this post made me think a bit about things people want/ dont want cm's to do and I don't mean smacking...

why should you not be taking the child to marks and spencers with your mum. they could have a nice day out and also popped into a shop? I wouldn't have thought that that is a big no no. (of course we don't know any details, but I thought I could take mindees out with me even if I wanted to go to the shops)
Or meet a friend in town for a coffee and take the kids for a treat? I am not saying to do this every day...but on occasions?
Or am I wrong?

aly
17-06-2009, 09:21 PM
mum needs to have more control over her kid too
You never know, but he may be the perfect angel with his mother but not with the CM???? Think that is a tad wrong for you to assume she hasn't got him under control.

yes but as one poster said how do we know she was clothes shopping, she might have been going for food :)

mum should have spoke the the CM and got the full facts to be honest

she can't get advice on half a story :thumbsup:
Because she said he wqas under a clothes rail.

Cazz
17-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Blimey - I only read the a couple of pages but I might read all of the replies if I get time!

What about the first reply that said something along the lines of "don't you discuss these things when you give your child away to other people?". Obviously not a fan of childminders/childcare!!

That cm is obviously following very bad practice - I'm surprised the parent had to give a second thought about whether her child should carry on going there! :eek:

Carole x

miffy
17-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Wow! What can i say ?
I only got to page two before I lost patience with it !

As we all know no childminder should EVER smack - end of.

Took the words right out of my mouth Twinks!

Miffy xx

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it sounds like he was being a very naughty boy. If I were her, I wouldn't want to look after him again. I wouldn't want the responsibilty of a kid who runs off like that.

I would tell her that she's never to let him go on the rides again and tell him that he's never going on them either and why that is.

I would also tell him that as he runs off like a baby, then from now on, he sits in a pram like a baby when he goes out as he can't be trusted to behave.

Was this person who replied joking ?

I am amazed by the whole thread to be honest

Angel xx

Mouse
17-06-2009, 09:26 PM
me again...

but this post made me think a bit about things people want/ dont want cm's to do and I don't mean smacking...

why should you not be taking the child to marks and spencers with your mum. they could have a nice day out and also popped into a shop? I wouldn't have thought that that is a big no no. (of course we don't know any details, but I thought I could take mindees out with me even if I wanted to go to the shops)
Or meet a friend in town for a coffee and take the kids for a treat? I am not saying to do this every day...but on occasions?
Or am I wrong?

I don't think you're wrong at all. I don't often take the children to town, but if I have to go I just take them with me. It's happened before when my glasses needed mending. I told mum that we would be going to town & would have a wander round the shops. She was quite happy about it & even gave her son a couple of pounds to spend.
We went to the opticians, then to a cafe & then shopping. The little boy loved it & mum even asked if I'd bought anything nice.

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 09:32 PM
me again...

Or am I wrong?

No you are not wrong - visiting our local community facilities is what we do best as childminders- teaching children valuable life skills. I think as long as you aren't doing your weekly shop or intending doing your Saturday browse round the shops with your mates type shopping, its an enriching experience.
We often go into town, by bus, car, walk - go to the library, £1 shop, Art shop, Boots - depends what we need - the kids take a list - they are involved. Occasionally if I have a girl with me - we have a girlie moment in Claires!!
The book shops are a fav.

We also go to the retail parks as well - again normally for a specific reason.

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 09:37 PM
:phew:
I am glad you think that way too.

haribo
17-06-2009, 09:38 PM
just read some of it..can i just say HariboJunkie is not me ! - although his /her reply was one of the more sensible ones . :eek:

Lou
17-06-2009, 09:43 PM
did anyone notice there was a reply from "angel delight" :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 09:44 PM
did anyone notice there was a reply from "angel delight" :laughing: :laughing:

Really ?

I am off to have another look then

:laughing:

xxx

Lou
17-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Mixed thoughts on this one.

I feel sorry for you op and what your child has gone through and agree under the circumstances it was wise for precautions sake to remove him.

As far as reporting the CM- although she was wrong on a number of levels to do with the main incident I wouldn't of gone ahead until I had got more back ground information over the other times he's been supposedly smacked. Sure she said she doesn't use smacking as a general punishment and most cm's wouldn't just like most parents but this was an exceptional incident putting his life in danger and causing the upmost grief/stress for many people by the sounds of it.

I'm not saying your son is lying but kids at that age can exaggarate a lot- several times to him might of actually only been one other time. Sure that's one time too many in ofsteds eyes but at that age they are testing..boys paticuraly more defiant. It could of been a similar circumstance or him being very aggressive? Could it of been that the experience has somewhat embarrased him so in his anger he has lied or exaggarated knowing full well what your reaction would be to her and so in turn hoping he wouldn't have to see her again or maybe mummy will give up work and look after him instead? (especially if he misses you/your less strict?)

It sounds as if the smacking issue was touched upon breifly before hiring her but what about safety issues when out and about?
Did you supply her with a stroller/reins/i.d bracelet and ensured she used them at all times if taking him out? Has it been drummed into him by you/his dad of what could happen to him if wandering off/steping into a road by himself?

Someone basicly said before (pages back) kids only know so much danger by that age or there abouts. That's ******, they know as much as their parents warn them about. I have three kids- two teens and one toddler and although they played up/did similar things they were also fully aware by age 3 of every danger my head could possibly think of and the most serious outcome of each circumstance. Over precautious maybe but I didn't want to take any chances.

Anyway i'm not having a go..as I said really feel for you but I did wonder on the above matters? Good luck for the future.

THE ABOVE WAS POSTED BY SOMEONE CALLED ANGEL DELIGHT ON PAGE 13 OF THIS THREAD!!!!!!

I WOULD SUE THEM IF I WERE YOU ANGEL, HOW DARE THEY USE YOUR NAME, HAVE YOU NOT GOT A COPYRIGHT ON IT LOL :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 09:54 PM
HOW DARE THEY

THANKS FOR THAT LOU

I WILL SEEK LEGAL ACTION IN THE MORNING HA HA

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

XXXX

haribo
17-06-2009, 09:55 PM
omg angel what if its someone pretending to be us :laughing: :laughing:

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 09:57 PM
omg angel what if its someone pretending to be us :laughing: :laughing:

Dont say that :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously though that would be horrible

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Was going to suggest it was the netmums mob but they aren't quite a lynch mob at the moment!!! lol

Curly Quavers
17-06-2009, 10:06 PM
Was going to suggest it was the netmums mob but they aren't quite a lynch mob at the moment!!! lol

:laughing: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never been on the netmums forum is it not as nice as ours? :D :D

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 10:14 PM
:laughing: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have never been on the netmums forum is it not as nice as ours? :D :D

ohhh they are lovely - mention you are a childminder and get ready for the witchhunt and public burning at the stake. Honestly you might as well go on there and say you are a worshipper and spawn of satan - you'd get a better reception lol

Heaven Scent
18-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I must admit as I've only read the first page of this I don't feel qualified to comment on the various posts but I will say the following.

1) Why is this thread on a forum about money matters?

2) This childminder sounds as though she is out of the ark and has not attended any training for years and years - I have worked in childcare since 1987 and have never thought it was right to slap other peoples children even tough it wasn't illegal actually I think I thought it was because I remember being surprised by being told when I registered in 2007 that one of the things I would notice in the current standards (current in 2007) was that childminders are no longer allowed to slap - those standards came out some time after 2003 when I got my prior set so its actually a pretty recent directive and now law since Sept '08. So surely this minder no matter how old she is or how long she has been minding should know its against the law - every childminder should have had EYFS training by now. - My thoughts are - is she in fact registered?????

3) Why doesn't this mum realise that it is not correct for someone else to physically punish her child - why did alarm bells not go off very loudly in her head when her child told her more than once that the minder had slapped her?

4) Although I don't for 1 minute think its wrong for the minder to take the child to the shops now and again regardless of the reason for the shopping trip and with whoever she wishes to go with - I am concerned that this 4 year old was let wander off - not only on this occasion but on more than one occasion in the past he went off and hid under the clothes rails. Surely it is instinct to keep hold of a little one when out and about like that - surely she's heard of the Jamie bulger case etc. If the child wouldn't hold hands then she should have a wrist strap for him so he feels he has a little freedom but she can still keep him safe and sound.

5) I do agree that the mum shouldn't encourage the child to say that another adult is naughty if she expects her to continue to look after him - Children should have respect for everyone especially those who look after them (as should the adult who looks after the child) Also the minder shouldn't call the child naughty -

My feelings on this is that it is totally bizare and they all deserve each other.

huggableshelly
18-06-2009, 05:21 AM
I got bored reading .....

cm is out of order, parent should state she is unahappy and ask to see behaviour policy again ... did the parent agree to a smacking policy???

some of the replies are awful ... ah well need my morning cuppa

angeldelight
18-06-2009, 06:26 AM
I only read the first page well quickly that is

I cant believe Lou that you got to page 15 ha ha ha

Angel xx

mabel
18-06-2009, 06:38 AM
well there are childminders and childminders

personally I never would dream of taking them shopping it is an eye opener
as to how others work !

tinkerbelle
18-06-2009, 06:44 AM
My daughter did exactly this in BHS. I was frantic, she was about 5 yrs old.
When I eventually found her, i didnt smack her, but i made her realise that she had scared me whitless.
I can remember giving her a big cuddle cos I was so pleased at finding her:)

my son did as well he was only two at the time and we were in matalan
the staff were shouting him over the tannoy and he would not appear we were in derby and he had no idea where he was we ended up going into the car park luckily a police officer was there and he radioed for back up including the helicopter
we eventually found him under the rails still in matalan i seriously could have killed him for doing it but i was so releaved to find him i think i was more concerned with hugging him we left it in the police mans hands to tell him off and i think that scared him more than any smack would have done :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2009, 07:38 AM
She should report the childminder NOW and remove the child fromt the care

Blackhorse
18-06-2009, 07:46 AM
ohhh they are lovely - mention you are a childminder and get ready for the witchhunt and public burning at the stake. Honestly you might as well go on there and say you are a worshipper and spawn of satan - you'd get a better reception lol

unfortunately I have to agree with Pip.
Some of the posts on netmums about cm's made me really sad. the way they talk about childminders ....don't know why this is.
maybe they are jealous?

angeldelight
18-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Some of the posts on netmums about cm's made me really sad. the way they talk about childminders ....don't know why this is.
maybe they are jealous?

It is a bit strange how they are like that on netmums though ?

The rest of the site always seems so friendly

Angel xx

PrincessCinders
18-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Unbelieveable.

I am finding the hostility towards the mother a little odd.... or is that just me???

Mouse
18-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Unbelieveable.

I am finding the hostility towards the mother a little odd.... or is that just me???

I found that odd, but perhaps that's because I've read too many Netmum threads.
On there if someone complains about a childminder they come out in force to shoot us down. I found it strange that on that thread people were having a go at the mum (some going as far as to say her son deserved to be smacked!), when for once it was justified to have a go about the childminder!

angeldelight
18-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree

A very strange thread in a very strange place

:laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

ORKSIE
18-06-2009, 08:37 AM
I have to say..There is no way I would leave my child with a CM that smacked....For any reason:panic:

Lady Haha
18-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I just wanted to clear up any confusion I may have left with a previous post here about taking mindees shopping.

I think it is a good idea to take them shopping when you have risk assessed the situation thoroughly and they are learning from it. Yes, even if the shopping is for a new top! Mindee can learn from going to pay for the items etc.

The feeling I got from reading a few of the mums posts on this thread, was that the CM had taken her child shopping before and he had a habit of hiding under clothes rails, so when he did it this time, she wasn't too concerned at first until she couldn't find him!

And she had her mother with her, which suggests to me that she was busy chatting to her mother and not keeping a proper eye on mindee. I'm not saying you can never go shopping with another adult and chat to them, but if mindee has a habit of hiding when out shopping I would be VERY cautious and definately keep him on reigns! Surely that would be part of her risk assessment?

Paws
18-06-2009, 08:56 AM
[QUOTE=tinkerbelle;451937]my son did as well he was only two at the time and we were in matalan
QUOTE]

What is it with Matalan?
I lost my daughter in there once. She wasn't quite two and my son was brand new. The staff were amazing. I ran up to a shelf stacker in floods of tears saying I couldn't find my daughter. Within seconds they had locked the doors, shut the tills, manned the back door so that no one could leave or enter the shop. They put a call out for ALL staff - this included everyone from the wearhouse out the back. It was incredible, within seconds the shop was FLOODED with staff looking for my daughter. Someone found her in the mens section waving a pair of mens underpants! I was utterly beside myself, but the staff were amazing. I guess they must train for this sort of thing as their response was first-class.

:clapping:

Mollymop
18-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I found the thread shocking!! The childminder knows she not allowed to smake the children she cares for and the mother should have made it clear to her that she is not to smack her child. I would have taken my child out of her care and reported her.
I do think that the kid ended up lost due to the childminder not watching him properly. I make sure all children are in mysight at all times while I am out and about especially a child as young as 3!!

estrelas
18-06-2009, 11:02 AM
hi

I haven't read all this thread far too long or all the other one

But i think the issue isn't so much the smacking but the fact the cm didn't tell the mum straight away. If she'd have called her, admitted the truth, then the mum wouldn't feel so worried.
The fact she didn't tell her has made the mum insecure and worried

Smacking isn't right totally agree but admitting it herself would have been a better idea.

venus89
18-06-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm going to have to read some of the other threads now to see if they're always that aggressive :laughing:

I only read page one and the last page... on the last page it mentions about a childminder who took a lift in another minders car with their mindees when there weren't enough car seats :eek: These so-called 'childminder' should be banned from childcare for life :panic:

Oooohhhhh.... forgot to put a new smiley in :joker:

nannymcflea
18-06-2009, 11:44 AM
I wonder if she is actually a "childminder" or just someone who pretends but takes the money?

On the "should we take them shopping?" front...how else can you go up and down in lifts and escalators, how can they learn about money, buying, paying, getting the change, saying thank you?

We as childminders have the time to stop and look in the windows, count all the pink things/green things etc, sing a song about what we see and also pop to the bank, post office to do "our" bits too.

Hebs
18-06-2009, 11:46 AM
You never know, but he may be the perfect angel with his mother but not with the CM???? Think that is a tad wrong for you to assume she hasn't got him under control.

you often find kids are better behaved for others than their own parents!

Because she said he wqas under a clothes rail.
its also wrong to assume she was clothes shopping just cos he was hiding under a clothes rail, he could have ran off from her in the food section and hid in the clothes rail :thumbsup:

for the recoed i have taken my mindee clothes shopping BUT i workl very long hours for this mum inc overnight care AND weekends which is when i need to go clothes shopping for my kids, if mum didn't like it then she is free to find another minder who is prepared to work such long hours :thumbsup:
1 week i worked 72 hours for her :thumbsup:

mandy moo
18-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Not wanting to ruffle any feathers,

But as you walk in to our M&S, there are two main doors, one in the mall, and the other on the street,
to get to the food hall, (as some one else mentioned, she may have been food shopping) which is on the ground floor, you have to walk thro the ladies & childrens clothes area, (Lots of lovley clothes rails to hide under and play hide and seek) you can not get to the food hall any other way.
Not that excuses the behaviour of either of course, at all.

She should, I guess, have had him in a buggy or some other suitable restraint, if she knew he was prone to hiding.

georgie456
18-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Phew that made interesting reading! I agree that is it a very strange place to find a thread about a childminder!!!

My main concern was that the parent was only made aware that an entire shop was put on lockdown for 10 minutes to find her child when she called up to find out if her son was telling the truth about being smacked!

Has this cm not heard of incident reports??!!!

Personally I wouldn't have taken my child back there and my next phone call would have been to Ofsted.....

Chatterbox Childcare
18-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Wonder what this has to do with Martins Money?

Andrea08
18-06-2009, 03:40 PM
my lord i need a brew now,,, thank goodness you lot dont talk to each other like that ,, we can have some realy good debates but someof that thread sounded nasty, not good friends i take it,, unlike our forum, but i think it did say it was an open forum no BOSS on the look out!!!

shopping is cool in my book but not every day shopping for new handbags and shoes ,,,all children will get fed up and want to run away from that!!

as for the smacking NO NO NO but i can understand how the cm must of felt not being able to find her mindee id be needing a brandy :D to calm me nurves..

lost my DS once omg i told him off good but then i hugged him and wouldnt let go until we got home..

rule to us all dont go off reading other forums stick with the friendly family :D

Heaven Scent
18-06-2009, 05:15 PM
maybe they are jealous?

I agree entirely - i know that a mum of two of my old mindees was jealous of my relationship with them but even when she didn't work they both went to nursery full time - she just wanted to be in control and hated the fact that I made decisions for her children - only very basic ones like what they had to eat and when i changed their nappies etc I don't mean that I would have suggested which university they were to attend or who they were to marry etc. But you could just tell she totally hated it and grew to resent me because of it - both parents resented paying me to look after their children too (remember them?). Some people want it all highflying job, big money kids, no puke, no cooking, no snot, no sitting in softplay centres, no shitty nappies - but want control of those who do deal with all the bad plus the right to abuse them verbally when ever they feel like it.

Thankfully this is the exception rather than the rule.

loocyloo
18-06-2009, 05:53 PM
only read a bit !:eek:

i have to say, it must depend which bit of MSE you read/post on! i tend to stick to a couple of boards, and most people are friendly there!

mandy moo
18-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Wonder what this has to do with Martins Money?

:laughing: :laughing: well said,debbie.:D

Spangles
18-06-2009, 07:14 PM
More to the point, what's it got to do with advice about buying a used car which is what I searched for!!

angeldelight
18-06-2009, 07:15 PM
More to the point, what's it got to do with advice about buying a used car which is what I searched for!!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You got more than you bargained for there Spangle

Angel xx

georgie456
18-06-2009, 07:34 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Heaven Scent
20-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Perhaps thats why sometimes enquiries are thin on the ground - parents think they look us up under 'Used Cars' and when they can't find us there they toddle off to blomin' nurseries with the previous angels. :laughing: :laughing:

Rubybubbles
12-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Strange post but childminder and mum completly in the wrong in my eyes!

only read a bit !:eek:

i have to say, it must depend which bit of MSE you read/post on! i tend to stick to a couple of boards, and most people are friendly there!

I love mse:D (normally!)

Nicki L
12-07-2009, 04:57 PM
that is truely shocking!!!, not only the fact that a childminder hit a child but some of the replies are awful.

Star
12-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Hi, Just read! shocking all round!!

:panic: