PDA

View Full Version : Mindee taking toys home

clorogue
17-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Just wondered how you handle the situation when children want to take toys home from childminder's house - do you allow it or as a rule is this not allowed and how do you handle it?

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 07:59 PM
I don't allow it - have done a couple of times in the past only for the toys never to be seen again.

I just say that they toys have to stay here so that everyone can play with them the next day.

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't allow this , I used to but lost quite a few toys that way as they forgot to bring them back. Now I just say ' Let's put it in a special place ready for next time '.

Baildon bears
17-06-2009, 08:03 PM
No i would never let a mindee take toys home, they need to understand that toys at c.m house are to share and to play with when they come.
if you let them once they will do it again and again.

Hannah
www.baildonbears.co.uk

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 08:06 PM
No way - they're MY toys!!!!!

sweets
17-06-2009, 08:12 PM
i can understand why people don't, but I let them! sometimes i think its nice for them to show parents what they have been playing with and what they like. I always tell them to take good care of them and they always bring them back, usually the next day. I go to the library with mindees once a week and they choose a book to take home to read with parents. when they are due back i just write a note in their daily diaries and more often than not books come back the next day.
If toys are not returned then i will think again but up to now have not had a problem with it.

Mouse
17-06-2009, 08:13 PM
No, I don't. I minded a friend's little girl once & she used to take toys home. I went to visit one day & found them all in the toy box. I took them all back!

I have a note in my 'info for parents' that says I don't allow children to take toys/books home and I also mention it during the settling in visits. I hope parents will support me & tell the child they can't take the toy home, but if they don't I have been known to wrestle a toy form a child's hands :thumbsup:

Mouse
17-06-2009, 08:15 PM
i can understand why people don't, but I let them! sometimes i think its nice for them to show parents what they have been playing with and what they like. I always tell them to take good care of them and they always bring them back, usually the next day. I go to the library with mindees once a week and they choose a book to take home to read with parents. when they are due back i just write a note in their daily diaries and more often than not books come back the next day.
If toys are not returned then i will think again but up to now have not had a problem with it.

I think that's nice & it obviously works for you, but I do think children need to learn that they can't always have what they want!

TheBTeam
17-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't allow it - have done a couple of times in the past only for the toys never to be seen again.

I just say that they toys have to stay here so that everyone can play with them the next day.

Same here .

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 08:16 PM
No, I don't. I minded a friend's little girl once & she used to take toys home. I went to visit one day & found them all in the toy box. I took them all back!

I have a note in my 'info for parents' that says I don't allow children to take toys/books home and I also mention it during the settling in visits. I hope parents will support me & tell the child they can't take the toy home, but if they don't I have been known to wrestle a toy form a child's hands :thumbsup:

lol so have I!!!! AFter all its toys that I have bought and paid for, some of them are my kids toys that they are willingly sharing.

sweets
17-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I did have to draw the line once though! i had a 20month old that was OBSSESSED with cars, he would pinch them from anywhere (including shops if he could) it got to the point where me or his mum would frisk him as he was going as he would hide them in his clothes! lol. thankfully the phase didn't last long. his dad used to call him a right little thief!

sarah707
17-06-2009, 08:32 PM
I have had children hide toys in pockets and take them home... usually get them back but not always. I bought a Balamory play set for the multicultural and diverse elements rather than any liking of the stories... the lady in the wheelchair was lost within days :rolleyes:

A while ago I trialled a book bag loan scheme... things came back damaged, pages ripped out, toys and other contents scribbled on or things simply didn't come back at all which made me very sad, especially as I had lovely children / parents at the time.

Recently I gave a camera out so parents could take photos of things important to the children for me to put in an album. One family kept it for 4 weeks, ran down the battery and when it came back no photos... they'd been too busy.

Ah well we keep plugging on! It's all good to show working in partnership I suppose :D

Lady Haha
17-06-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't let children take toys home with them, but if one of the schoolies asks if they can take one to school and I am picking them up as well, I will let them do that as I don't have any other kids here in the time in between.

We have got one special toy that goes home with some one every weekend. His name is Popeye and he's a fluffy horse. He represents a horse we adopted at Horseworld here in Bristol. Trouble is this time he was due back today but was forgotten and if he's not back tomorrow, we won't see him til next Tues, so no one will get him this weekend!

Spangles
17-06-2009, 08:46 PM
I wouldn't allow mindee's to take toys home.

Happened once and I just mucked about and said that they couldn't possibly take it because I play with it when my little boy's gone to bed. They were happy with that strangely enough!

Twinkles
17-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Having said NO at the begining of this thread i've just remembered that I do lend out dvd's - I have a huge collection.

Lou
17-06-2009, 08:57 PM
NO way and if in doubt frisk them on their way out!!!!!

Helen79
17-06-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't allow toys home but none have ever really asked.
I am thinking of doing a home time bear where they take bear home for a few weeks & bring him back with his diary.

balloon
17-06-2009, 09:16 PM
No, and like somebody else I have also had the wrestle them out of tantrumming (sp?) children's hands before now. Funny how when alone here they understand no means no but as soon as Mummies arrive they think they can push it to mean yes! Little monkeys! I did once lend a child a policeman uniform dress up cos they wanted to show their daddy but that's the only time ever...

Last week I had to go get the dummy gripper off a child's coat as they were sitting in mum's car - I'd asked Mum 3 times for it between handing child to her and her putting child in car so just leaned in and grabbed it saying 'better have that one back or we'll be looking for it tomorrow'...

Roseolivia
18-06-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't let the toys go home, they're not only childminding toys but also my daughters. Mindees know toys at my house stay at my house.

PixiePetal
18-06-2009, 07:10 AM
In a word-NO!

You never know when you will see them again. Some parents and kids are great and others not. It's better to keep one rule so no one feels singled out.

Mollymop
18-06-2009, 08:51 AM
No I don't allow it. If I let one child I would have to let the rest, then I would have no idea who has what toy, etc. There would be arguments over who wants to take what hime, I would have my dd or ds saying that it is "their" toy and getting upset over it.
Most of the toys are my own children's old toys and I would be upset if they were lost.

huggableshelly
18-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I tried book sharing ... allowing the children to take a book on loan but didnt get boks back from certain parents so it stopped.

But what I do now is i take the children to the library they all ahve their own cards, they pick their books and its the parents responsibilty to either return them to the library or back to me ready for when we next go .... one child poor chap cant have anymore books on his card, the bill it clocking up and parents must pay or return the books but he does chose books on my card that stay in my home.

I also tried a dvd and cd leanding system so parents could see what their children watch in my home ... my sign and sign dvd came back in 3 pieces so put a stop the that .... Dad got angry and stamped on it to punish the child! yes I added the replacement to the invoice.

working in patnership with parents is such hard work and very onesided.

clorogue
18-06-2009, 09:00 AM
:D As I thought! Thanks everyone!