PDA

View Full Version : First ever trial today

LeeAnn
17-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Today I had my first mindee for a trial. I was hoping to do it next week but in the end (for a few reasons) it happened this week, so I was maybe not as organised as I would have been.

Anyway a bit of background, my DD is 3 YO and the new mindee also a girl is 2YO.

She came in fine, wasn't upset at all at being left by Dad, in fact only asked where her parents were twice. The girls got on ok, the LO is obviously used to just getting to do whatever. She currently is looked after by friends and mum says the friends children are quite "wild" and it has started to rub off on her daughter, hence her coming to me. Anyway the girls bickered a bit and as the LO is only 2 "mine" was a favourite word ;) but I expected that and also know that it will take everyone time to adjust.
It was pouring rain so we didn't get to go out and play. just about an hour in, I had literally just stepped out of the room (isn't that the way :rolleyes: ) when I heard my DD screaming, I went rushing in and she had been bitten really badly on the cheek, I obviously rushed her to the kitchen and put some frozen peas on it. The I went to explain to the mindee that it is not ok to bite. I sat with her for a minute and we had a quiet "time out" she then went and said sorry to my DD and gave her a cuddle which was nice.

After refereeing for another wee while I pulled out a load of craft stuff and voila! peace reigned until she was picked up. I felt so bad and realise now that I should have had a scheduled activity to start off with , I thought she may have needed a settle in time but I think I should have been more structured :(

I told mum what had happened but tried to stress that overall it went well and she was very settled. Mum was horrified and said she hoped I had disciplined her so I explained we had a time out butnot sure if the wee one understood. Mum seemed okm with this. I really didn;t know what else to do? Is there anything else I should have done?

I think I am just wanting to know if this kind of thing has happened to anyone else or am I forever destined to be a terrible childminder :(

My DD hasn't been put off and said she is looking forward to the mindee coming to play again.

sorry it was loooooooong :blush:

uf353432
17-06-2009, 06:58 PM
on the contrary I read that and thought you handled the situation very well. You had a conflict, you explained that it wasn't acceptable, she had some time to reflect and then resolved the dispute with a sorry and kiss and make up. Sounds like you handled it very well to be honest.

I also think that having structured activities was introduced at the right time - a good distraction from previous events ensuring that it was a positive end to the session. Free play at the start was good to allow the child to seek out and explore the new territory and settle in her own time.

Open and honest communication with mum - receptive parent

Sounds to me like you did good! :clapping:

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Its happens and it has happen on your settling in visit.
Kids bite for a variety of reasons (overwhelming emotions, out of love, testing out the teeth etc etc) and nearly always its not malicious. Thats not to say they shouldn't be disciplined by it - sounds like you handled it really well. Don't be to hard on yourself it happens to even the most experienced.

Hope it all goes well

LeeAnn
18-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Thankyou so much for your encouraging words.

I got a text from Mum last night apologising again and I just replied to say not to worry, she is very young and sometimes these things happen with kids. I know how I would feel if it had been the other way round.

I am sure the LO will settle in nicely once she starts properly.

Thanks again xx