PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound okay for an afternoon with just 1 mindee?

rachelle
17-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I only have 2 on my books at the moment - a 5 month old and a 20 month old. 5 month old is on holiday and 20 month old does 2 afternoons a week, 3 hours each time - part of which is school run.

I always feel like I don't give her enough attention - not sure why! Today she made a father's day card with me and then chose to draw and then wanted to play in the garden. We did a puzzle together and some singing with instruments etc. Obviously I talk to her and try to extend things as appropriate but I don't want to be too intense when it is just her and me. I can't help feeling guilty though if I sit and observe her or if she is happily free playing by herself. But neither do I want her to feel smothered or talked at all the time!

Does the balance sound about right? I had another child the same age last week (emergency cover) and it felt as if things were less pressured for all of us!

sarah707
17-06-2009, 05:57 PM
It can be very hard with just 1 child because you feel the need to fill their every waking moment... but it is really important that they are allowed to free play as well.

You sound like you have the balance right there. :D

cher25
17-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I know how you feel. I only have 1 full timer 22 months, i sit and play with him, talk to him a lot and do drawing and painting with him. But more often than not he is happy to play by himself and doesn't want me, but soon shouts on me if i go out of sight for a 2nd. If i ask to play i get told no.

I often feel guilty and as though i haven't done a great deal with him. But then other day's, we can be so busy he ends up too tired. Can't win either way really. lol