PDA

View Full Version : Parents Late

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 04:12 PM
I have a lady coming to see me tonight about a babysitting job - only 2 nights a week and I could do with the extra cash :blush:

The problem is although I finish minding at 6pm one set of parents is nearly ALWAYS late :mad: now I thought this arrangement may be just enough to ensure they come on time - as I have an "excuse" of somewhere I need to be, but on the other hand I am worried it won't make an ounce of difference and they will continue to be late :(

My babysitting job starts at 6.30pm and only a 10 minute drive away but still I don't know if I should take it.

How do OFSTED view leaving Children with a responsible adult if parents are late? (i.e. my husband who of course is CRB checked)...I'm thinking there's no way OFSTED would go for this...and it could make parents even more late knowing there will be someone there with their child.

Another idea is would it be ok to take the uncollected child with me to the babysitting job if they are really late?

I don't know what to do but the hours would be good for when we eventually get pregnant and I reduce my hours ;)

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 04:16 PM
I wold explain that you have to be out by 6.10 at the latest (they dont need to know where- just say an exercise class or something) and if they are late you will impose a high financial penalty say £10 per 15 mins.

They would def think twice about being late and i would def take the job.

wendywu
17-06-2009, 04:26 PM
If your contract finishes at 6 and you only get paid to 6 and it is an understanding that you will be leaving the house at 6. Then if they arrange for your husband to have their child from 6 to 6.15 then it is between your husband and the parents and nothing to do with you or Ofsted as it is under 2 hours and he is not getting paid. It is only the same as you dropping them off at their emergency contact, perhaps he could be added to their emergency contact list. I dont know it is just a thought.

But i suggest you put this in writing between them and him.:)

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 04:58 PM
If your contract finishes at 6 and you only get paid to 6 and it is an understanding that you will be leaving the house at 6. Then if they arrange for your husband to have their child from 6 to 6.15 then it is between your husband and the parents and nothing to do with you or Ofsted as it is under 2 hours and he is not getting paid. It is only the same as you dropping them off at their emergency contact, perhaps he could be added to their emergency contact list. I dont know it is just a thought.

But i suggest you put this in writing between them and him.:)

Not sure if they would then take advantage though as they are that sort of people unfortunately - give them an inch and they take a mile etc :angry:

Am just trying to cover myself as I would really hate to let the babysitting person down as this is just not me and it looks unprofessional :(

FizzysFriends
17-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I would take the babysitting job. Explain to the parent (may in writing) that you now have other commitments at 6.10pm, therefore if they are late you will have no choice but to call their emergancy contacts to collect the child.

brillminder
17-06-2009, 05:21 PM
could u drop them home that day would that be better???????????

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 05:47 PM
could u drop them home that day would that be better???????????

They wouldn't be there - they own a pub which is right in the centre of town :panic: besides I have only just gotten out of that trap with collecting him and them never being ready!

I think I will just stick it in writing and see what happens. The babysitting person might not like me yet but I will also find out tonight how rigid the times are for me being there which will help me decide.

mushpea
17-06-2009, 06:12 PM
i had a parent who was at least 30mins late each night ( i charged till she collected) and this made me late for things like my sons boys brigade etc, in the end i said to the parent if you are not here on time then i will take my son to boys brigade and you can either meet me there or wait for me to return all at cost to her of course, this worked and on the nights i had to be somewhere she was on time.
you could explain the situation to the parent and say if they are nto there by a certain time you will take the child with you and they will haved to collect from whereever you are but keep charging them til they collect.

wendywu
17-06-2009, 06:48 PM
Tell them that if they make you miss babysitting on that night they will have to compensate you for the full loss of the babysitting money. :panic:

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 08:05 PM
Tell them that if they make you miss babysitting on that night they will have to compensate you for the full loss of the babysitting money. :panic:

Excellent idea! This could work...thanks guys :clapping:

Deb
17-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Give them notice? I have a parent who should be here at 2.30 to collect and often isnt here till 2.50/3 and I have to be at school to collect the schoolies - makes life really tight sometimes.

Louise_Oaktree
18-06-2009, 09:44 AM
Give them notice? I have a parent who should be here at 2.30 to collect and often isnt here till 2.50/3 and I have to be at school to collect the schoolies - makes life really tight sometimes.

I take mine with me on School run - if they are late they have to catch me up and meet me at School - works well in the morning too, if they aren't here by 8.30 we leave without them :o