PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ones little ones had tonsils out

lissy
17-06-2009, 01:18 PM
My dd is having hers out on the 4 july and i am trying to find out how much time i should take off work and any advice on how she may feel after the op.

thanks

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes my LO had his out at the age of 2 and my eldest had his done when he was 4.

I would say allow for up to 2 weeks for recovery time but both of mine had bounced back within 10 days.
The docs do say allow for 2 weeks as well in relation to infection.

Your LO will feel quite sore and groggy for a couple of days, lots of patience, encouragement, normal foods in small amounts, lots of liquids, ice pops, grapes etc oh and of course lots of tv.

After the op isn't particuarly nice when they start to come round though. But its all worth it in the end. PM me if you want.

~Chelle~
17-06-2009, 01:23 PM
I had the day of the operation off and two days after, which then fell to the weekend.

Both my sons were ill in hospital, being sick, which is a side effect of the anethestic, but they were both back to themselves within a couple of days. You do have to keep them away from other kids because of the risk of infection but I started minding again after 4 days and made sure that they were kept away from the little ones.

Hope your dd's op goes well x

sarah707
17-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Dd had hers out at 5. She took about a week plus weekend to get back to normal.

It's made such a difference to her life! :D

Jules27
17-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Good advice given already. My son had his out when he was 3. Bounced back almost immediately. Had breakfast the following morning - came home the afternoon so only had 1 night in hospital. He was VERY good with taking his medcine so was kept dosed up all the time. I wasn't minding at the time so not sure how long you would have to actually take off? depends on how little one copes with it all I guess??