PDA

View Full Version : have I gone mad?

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 01:03 PM
now before you think you already know the answer (which probably you do..:D ) read this:

My house has a front garden with a fence and underneath the fence is a wall.
About 70cm high by a few meters long.

I have recently started to paint this white to freshen it up a bit and make it look nice. (still need to paint the fence, but that will have to wait)

I then thought of putting something on my fence to say that I am a childminder as I know some girls in the area had their first inquieries from people passing the house...
my dp thought that some young lets call him a lad (that is not the word he used by the way) would just rip it off....

so now I am thinking I am going to put it up anyways, but I would also like to have the little wall I mentioned earlier decarated with some kids drawings..some schools in austria let the kids paint an entire wall somewhere and it usually looks very nice...
Not sure how to go about it but just wanted to know what you honestly think about this as my mind cannot always be trusted to come up with sensible things

....enough said:cool:

Schnakes
17-06-2009, 01:24 PM
Ooooh, sounds lovely! :)

With the sign - my friend has a lovely sign - its above her front door though. MrS wont let me put plant pots out the front "cos someone will nick them"....

I think hes infecting me with his paranoia of stuff though cos we were walking past the school gates the other evening and there was two bricks lying on the pavement...I made my daughter put them in the bin so no one could chuck them through a window!! (Bet the dustbin men got a shock when they went to empty it!! LOL!!!)

Sx

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 01:26 PM
LOL I have been known to remove bricks, stones and other missiles from ''dangerous'' places...

Beckieboo
17-06-2009, 01:32 PM
I think that sounds lovely, go for it!!

We r cementing under the front gate at weekend and smoothing it all down, my dp has told the kids aged 6,6 and 1 that they can put their handprints and write their initials in it before it dries!! Then we can paint, varnish it and make it watertight!!! They cant wait, people walking up will definately know we r a child orientated house!!!:clapping:

Schnakes
17-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Blackhorse, just clicked on your website to see where abouts you live (cos it sounds like you live an area similar to mine lol!!!) and had a nose...your house is lovely! How come all you lot have such lovely houses?!! Its not fair!!

Anyway - I say go for it. With the sign, if the kids do nick it then thats is sad, but what if they dont and you have missed an advertising opportunity? :)

Good luck with your new business, btw! :group hug: Hope you get some kids soon, if you havent already - I think your website looks lovely!

Sx

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Blackhorse, just clicked on your website to see where abouts you live (cos it sounds like you live an area similar to mine lol!!!) and had a nose...your house is lovely! How come all you lot have such lovely houses?!! Its not fair!!

Anyway - I say go for it. With the sign, if the kids do nick it then thats is sad, but what if they dont and you have missed an advertising opportunity? :)

Good luck with your new business, btw! :group hug: Hope you get some kids soon, if you havent already - I think your website looks lovely!

Sx

Thanks you Schnakes!! That was very nice of you! :thumbsup:
And I can use all your good luck as I am still looking for my first mindee!!

About the house...just an old ex council house we bought a few years ago...nothing fancy about it...but I have (and am) trying to work hard to make sure it looks ok...

rickysmiths
17-06-2009, 02:51 PM
I must confess it wouldn't be my cup of tea to have a sign on my house or in my garden advertizing that I am a Childminder, I feel that although the neighbours around me know I childmind I don't want all passing to know because I am here in the house on my own with the children a lot of the time.

We are all different though and the world would be a poorer place if we weren't.

The only thing that might be worth checking is the need for planning permission to put up an advertizing board anywhere in the front of or on the house. There is a clause in the deeds of our house that covers running a business. I am in an ex-council house as well.

MissTinkerbell
17-06-2009, 03:23 PM
I think its a great idea. I have a sign that hubby made me - an oval wooden disc with my name and logo on - and everyone says how great it looks.

Jellytotzjulia
17-06-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi all,this is my first time on here :blush: :littleangel: :jump for joy: ,

& read this thread first, & just had a thought, instead of having a sign made & chancing it being robbed, why not paint some kind of advertisment on the newly painted wall while your there any way!!

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Hi all,this is my first time on here :blush: :littleangel: :jump for joy: ,

& read this thread first, & just had a thought, instead of having a sign made & chancing it being robbed, why not paint some kind of advertisment on the newly painted wall while your there any way!!

that is a good idea!
Welcome!:thumbsup:

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I must confess it wouldn't be my cup of tea to have a sign on my house or in my garden advertizing that I am a Childminder, I feel that although the neighbours around me know I childmind I don't want all passing to know because I am here in the house on my own with the children a lot of the time.

We are all different though and the world would be a poorer place if we weren't.

The only thing that might be worth checking is the need for planning permission to put up an advertizing board anywhere in the front of or on the house. There is a clause in the deeds of our house that covers running a business. I am in an ex-council house as well.

I see what you mean..need to check that out.
but actually the post was meant about the painting of the wall with children's paintings...hand prints, flowers, trees, people..that kind of thing.
not sure if I should do it..

rickysmiths
17-06-2009, 04:48 PM
I see what you mean..need to check that out.
but actually the post was meant about the painting of the wall with children's paintings...hand prints, flowers, trees, people..that kind of thing.
not sure if I should do it..

Oh that is a lovely idea and could be your children/grandchildren and doesn't directly identify you as a cm to strangers.:thumbsup:

Alibali
17-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Yep, I think you're mad:laughing: :laughing: Remember that it is still your home and there are times that you will want to forget all about childminding. It might be nice to get your dd to do some nice handprints and keep it personal to yourself, however some of the locals may take that as an invitation to add their own artwork iyswim.

Tatjana
17-06-2009, 05:36 PM
I was going to say to be wary of painting on the wall if you have undesirables around your area as they may well paint their own stuff on your lovely white wall.

xx

Blackhorse
17-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Yep, I think you're mad:laughing: :laughing: Remember that it is still your home and there are times that you will want to forget all about childminding. It might be nice to get your dd to do some nice handprints and keep it personal to yourself, however some of the locals may take that as an invitation to add their own artwork iyswim.

I didn't think of it that way!! You might have a good point there....hmm..need to re-think this now..

uf353432
17-06-2009, 06:20 PM
I'd check with your immediate neighbours to canvas opinion, they may see a lovely child mural as 'lowering the tone' of the neighbourhood - you know how some people are. If they thinks its great idea - after all they have to look at out of the window and when walking around the neighbourhood etc. Unfortunately I can't do something like that as I live in a conservation area! lol!