PDA

View Full Version : Term time only contracts

button68
15-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I have just had a call from my CM Mentor to see how I was getting on. I said fine and mentioned my 2 mindees on 'term time only.

When I said that they were paying me 50% retainer durning any school hols she said that by rights they could ask me to mind for half their contracted days durning the school hols :eek: I never saw this as the case when I drew up the contract (and a don't think the parents did either)

Has anyone ever heard of this?

berkschick
15-02-2008, 10:00 PM
Ive never heard of that either!

I signed a term time only contract yesterday and it states 50% retainer payable during the holidays. If I should be able to fill the place with another child then the retainer will be refunded. Should you require me to work the retained day then I will require 5 working days notice.

I have no idea if this is right or wrong but I was guided by the other minder who I am sharing mindee with and she has lots more experience than me!

ruby
15-02-2008, 10:02 PM
no i can't say i have

i do have term time only children and have had for years

they pay me 1/2 fee never been a problem

maybe some one else might have

Angela234
15-02-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a term time only family and i charge half fee in the holidays to hold their places i should be available during this time. I can't fill their spaces during the holidays and still charge them.
Does this make sense?

Angela

sarah707
15-02-2008, 10:29 PM
I have some children term time and some holidays... never asked for a retainer. :D

button68
15-02-2008, 10:38 PM
I have some children term time and some holidays... never asked for a retainer. :D

Sorry Sarah it's late :p so do you mean that they children who only come term time don't pay for the 6 weeks they are off in the summer?

sarah707
15-02-2008, 10:59 PM
Yes, I've only ever looked after part timers (some term time, some holidays, rarely both) and in all the years I've been minding I've never charged for any time unless I've worked... I just either fill the spaces or enjoy the break!

That's why I keep quiet when people are asking about fees... I think I must do it differently from everyone else! :laughing:

tulip0803
15-02-2008, 11:00 PM
I had a term-time only child who I didn't charge a retainer for because I also had a holiday time only child who took her place so there was no place to be retained over the holidays as it was filled by another child.

Juliaxx

angeldelight
15-02-2008, 11:42 PM
I also have children only term time and some only school holidays

I never ask for a retainer

I think whatever you decide to do anyway is up to yourself - its your business !

Angel xx

Hopscotch
15-02-2008, 11:52 PM
I have one term time only but he is only 2 and a half and his parents are both teachers, he is with me 40 - 45 hours a week during school hours and i get paid half fee for all holidays.
I do not take any other children when he is off as i usually take my holidays when he is off so i sort of get paid for being off but when you think he is off about 3 months a year that would be a lot of money to loose especially as he's a full timer.
Bev X

Spangles
16-02-2008, 01:33 AM
I've got two part-time term-time onlys and I don't charge anything for the school hols, it just didn't seem right to me but you have to do what's right for you.

charleyfarley
16-02-2008, 06:36 AM
I have 2 children term time only and their mom instisted on paying me for holidays, it is only a small amount though.

In the past I have minded for teachers and charged them half fee during holidays but have never taken on other children to cover the holidays,itms.

It is up to you though as everyone does it differently

Carol xx

miffy
16-02-2008, 08:00 AM
If the parents are happy with the arrangement you have then I wouldn't worry - it's your business after all

Miffy xx

manjay
16-02-2008, 08:25 AM
My term time only pay the equivilent to one ful days minding which is the same they pay me for after school care. we negotiated this when we did contracts as if they are paying me a retainer in effect I should be keeping their 3:15 - 5:15 slot free for them during the hols. This could stop me having a different child during the hols.

amanda xx

Pipsqueak
16-02-2008, 10:25 AM
A retainer is to basically "retain your services" so technically they could take up the space if they wanted for the amount of hours charged in the retainer. If you fill that space then you cannot charge retainer as the space is no longer available. To charge a retainer you need to be able to work the time if required.

This is how the guy at NCMA exlained it to me

deeb66
16-02-2008, 01:34 PM
A retainer is to basically "retain your services" so technically they could take up the space if they wanted for the amount of hours charged in the retainer. If you fill that space then you cannot charge retainer as the space is no longer available. To charge a retainer you need to be able to work the time if required.

This is how the guy at NCMA exlained it to me

Yes this is correct

I very rarely look after school age children so it doesn't really cause me a problem but in the past I have charged a retainer during school holidays if they have been term time only.

I do however inform the parents that I will of course work the time should they want me to but they have to give me at least a weeks notice so that I can plan accordingly.

Don't forget though........the retainer they are paying you covers hours they would normally be with you.

So if a child is normally only with you after school i.e 3-6pm then that is the only time they can expect you to have the children. They do not pay you during the day and the retainer is not covering the whole day

I hope this makes sense

yummymummy
16-02-2008, 01:47 PM
I had a child on a term time only contract and believe it or not her parents wanted free time on their own without her when they were on holiday so sent her some days in the holidays. I charged half retainer if she wasn't sent and full price on days she was sent. They only ever told me the week before and once said she would be coming on a certain day but didn't turn up, as I has allocated that time to minding I charged full price on that day which of course they didn't like but felt I had to as they were using me on an "as and when basis" to suit themselves. I think some parents think we are running a childcare charity!

deeb66
16-02-2008, 01:49 PM
I think some parents think we are running a childcare charity!

What?.....you mean we are not :rolleyes: ;)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sorry.....couldn't help myself

Julia
18-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes, I've only ever looked after part timers (some term time, some holidays, rarely both) and in all the years I've been minding I've never charged for any time unless I've worked... I just either fill the spaces or enjoy the break!

That's why I keep quiet when people are asking about fees... I think I must do it differently from everyone else! :laughing:

No me too, i dont ask for a retainer, I usually fill the spaces.

Heaven Scent
20-02-2008, 02:41 PM
According to the trainers on my ICP course if you charge a retainer you cannot fill the space.

I have a parent who will be sending her two children to me from end of March as present minder moving to France. I have agreed not to charge a retainer for the school aged child as having spoken to the present minder it is rare that the child does not attend in the hols and even if there are weeks when she doesn't attend I will make more money in the weeks that I do have her in the hols than I would in term time so its swings and roundabouts.

Think carefully before you decide what to do.

Celine

susi513
20-02-2008, 04:30 PM
You cannot charge a retainer and use the place for another child. If you charge a retainer the place MUST be available for the parent to book, if they give appropriate notice. You need to include in your contract how much notice they must give, eg a week.

I charge 1/2 fees for under fives who attend term-time only. The place is available to book, but if they book they have to pay the other half of the fees to make up their payment to full fees for all the time they booked.

So I have one family that books 2 or 3 days a week through summer, paying full fees for those days and half fees for the rest of the week. Another family uses 1 or weeks in the summer, paying full fees for those weeks and half fees for the rest of the holiday.

I give everybody a booking form prior to each holiday so they can confirm in writing what they want to do. If I give out their place to someone else I refund the retainer for the time the place is unavailable to them.

For over 5s, I have a different fee sheet altogether. The term-time ones don't pay in the holidays and have no place reserved in the holidays. They pay session rates in term-time which works out more expensive hourly rate to compensate for reduced income in holidays (some of which will be made up by ad-hoc mindees, but don't get many of them in summer).

button68
20-02-2008, 04:51 PM
You cannot charge a retainer and use the place for another child. If you charge a retainer the place MUST be available for the parent to book, if they give appropriate notice. You need to include in your contract how much notice they must give, eg a week.

I give everybody a booking form prior to each holiday so they can confirm in writing what they want to do. If I give out their place to someone else I refund the retainer for the time the place is unavailable to them.

This sounds like an idea I may take up in the future :thumbsup: The parents I have at the moment are happy with the arrangement we have as thier old CM charged then even though they NEVER sent thier kids in school hols (both teachers)