he only works mornings so he could help me in afternoons

would he have to do any course,s or not

thank you
have a nice day
luv sue xxxxx

Willowdancer
17-06-2009, 07:15 AM
I asked Ofsted about this in February and this is what they had to say:

In response to your enquiry I can confirm that officially childminding assistants are not required to be qualified but Ofsted would need to determine the suitability of the individual by conducting CRB checks, Social Services references and possibly a health declaration and personal references.

A childminding assistant would need to complete an EY2 form which is available from our website and send it into us to initiate any checks which need to be completed.

Having an assistant does not automatically change the number of children you are registered for and assistants are not normally allowed to be left in sole charge of the children.

After reading that we decided not to register my husband as an assistant and he's going to register as a childminder in his own right instead - he's just finishing the DHC/ICP now :)

Jen4Kids
17-06-2009, 08:36 AM
After being registered myself for two months, we decided to register my husband. I had to re-fill in the EY2 form then they phoned to ask if we were wanting to increase our numbers or to have him able to help out ect on his days off. We went for the latter and wrote back to them, should i get a certificate for him? or is it just a letter to keep on file?

So far, he hasnt helped yet :laughing:

Willowdancer
17-06-2009, 09:37 AM
:laughing:

I'm not sure what to do if Ofsted ring and ask me the same. Initially he would just be helping me out when he's at home, but we would also like the option of being able to increase numbers if/when our other business eventually goes to the dogs (as realistically it probably only has a couple of years life left in it.)

rickysmiths
17-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi there. My husband is Registered as my Assistant. He is allowed to be left with children on his own for short periods with the parents permission. (EYFS ages only). He is on my Reg Cert, it doesn't name him but says:

'when working with an assisant, may care for no more than 8 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 3 may be in the early years age group, and of these,not more than 1may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register,compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
may at times agreed and confirmed in writing by parents, leave an assistant in sole charge of the children (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)

Yes it is really that wordy!!

So yes Jen there should be something on your cert and he will not get one of his own. Don't forget as well that you will need to get Employees Insurance to cover an assistant. I think it is included in the MM insurance but if you are with NCMA you will need to phone them to get the extra cert and it costs £5pa.

My dh has done his First Aid Training, Safeguarding Training and Designated Persons Training.
I am in the process of registering my 16yr old dd as an assistant as well, she has already done her First Aid, I made her do it last year before she started babysitting I will go through Safeguarding issues with her but would not send her on a training course until she 18.

Jen4Kids
17-06-2009, 10:10 AM
So yes Jen there should be something on your cert and he will not get one of his own. Don't forget as well that you will need to get Employees Insurance to cover an assistant. I think it is included in the MM insurance but if you are with NCMA you will need to phone them to get the extra cert and it costs £5pa.

Cool thanks for that info, maybe ill ring Ofsted to ask where it is? Im on my 3rd certificate anway since i started in march :blush: :) Will also contact NCMA :thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
17-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Hi there. My husband is Registered as my Assistant. He is allowed to be left with children on his own for short periods with the parents permission. (EYFS ages only). He is on my Reg Cert, it doesn't name him but says:

'when working with an assisant, may care for no more than 8 children under 8 years; of these, not more than 3 may be in the early years age group, and of these,not more than 1may be under 1 year at any one time (Early Years Register,compulsory part of the Childcare Register)
may at times agreed and confirmed in writing by parents, leave an assistant in sole charge of the children (Early Years Register, compulsory part of the Childcare Register)

Yes it is really that wordy!!

My dh has done his First Aid Training, Safeguarding Training and Designated Persons Training.
I am in the process of registering my 16yr old dd as an assistant as well, she has already done her First Aid, I made her do it last year before she started babysitting I will go through Safeguarding issues with her but would not send her on a training course until she 18.

If one of your assistants is a student (my DS) then it is free

singingcactus
19-07-2009, 11:20 AM
:) This thread was very helpful thanks - I am looking to register me mum and my hubby as assistants. DH only works 4 days out of 8 so is around a lot, can't see the point in not making him work while he's here lol.

la-la
21-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Hi everyone.
I have just had my husband registered as my assistant but am actually a bit confused about what he can and can't do. Can anyone tell me what he can do now that he couldn't do before being an assistant??? He works freelance so is home sporadically so I did it so that he could come out with us and help a bit when we are home. Did I need to bother?!

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi everyone.
I have just had my husband registered as my assistant but am actually a bit confused about what he can and can't do. Can anyone tell me what he can do now that he couldn't do before being an assistant??? He works freelance so is home sporadically so I did it so that he could come out with us and help a bit when we are home. Did I need to bother?!

If you have the letter from Ofsted saying that he is acceptable to them to work with under 8's you need to get:

For him to be on his own you will need First Aid and written permission from parents for him to be left in sole charge

You also need regardless of whether he is employed or a volunteer a employers public liability certificate

For those under the EYFS Register he can be left for short periods of time on your premises but outside of this he cannot be left on the premises but can be left outside which means he could do the school runs.

All the details need to be on your certificate.

If he is not being left in sole charge you just need the PL certificate

la-la
22-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I see, thank you DebbieS26. I see - so he actually needs more than the approval of Ofsted to be of any use!!! Well, he is booked onto a 1st aid course so that's good and I will speak to parents about approval.
Thanks for the advice.