PDA

View Full Version : Would you take on a 7 month old? Monday and Wednesday?

Tippy Toes
16-06-2009, 09:40 PM
Im a new childminder and have had a call from a lady wanting childcare starting October. She needs childcare for Monday and Wednesday eventually cutting it down to just the Monday.

Would you take this on? Also would you charge a deposit to hold the place?

Thanks all :)

aly
16-06-2009, 10:19 PM
Im a new childminder and have had a call from a lady wanting childcare starting October. She needs childcare for Monday and Wednesday eventually cutting it down to just the Monday.

Would you take this on? Also would you charge a deposit to hold the place?

Thanks all :)
go for it.
my 1st mindee was/still is a tues & thurs.

Lady Haha
16-06-2009, 10:34 PM
I would go for it too! It will be a nice easing in child to get started with! And you will have Tuesdays and Thursdays off to recover!

Because she doesn't need you for quite a while, I would charge a deposit of two weeks (four days) now, but use it as fees already paid, so when she starts, she has already paid for the first two weeks. But make sure she knows that if she changes her mind, the deposit is non refundable!

RainbowMum
16-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi - my second placement was an 8 month old, If the place is available between now & Oct, and you dont feel right charging half fee retainer till then, I would charge £200 deposit - 50% refundable on first invoice, the other 50% offsetting potential lost earnings.:)

Schnakes
16-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I personally would ask her to call back nearer the time - you never know what enquiries you might get in the meantime.

Age wise, the youngest baby I have minded was four weeks old 12 hours a day!! Looked after her till she was two when mum was made redundant. Still see her all the time though. :)

Sx

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Think I would take it on but there again say if you get someone that wants every day before that date?

Maybe do like S sugggested and ask her to call back 4 weeks before the start date to arrange a deposit etc?

I would never turn down part timers usually though and a few of mine have been coming for years and are only here for 2 days

If I did do it yes I would have a months deposit and get her to sign so she knows that it is not refundable if she changes her mind
You can take it off her first months ?

Good luck hope it works out for you

Angel xx

miffy
17-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Depends whether there's plenty of work in your area and you might be able to fill the place with a full timer if that's what you want.

I have lots of part timers who do different days and I like having a different mix of children each day.

You could always meet the parent and take it from there - if you want to hold a place til October you can either take a retainer (if the place is available now) or ask for a deposit.

Good luck whatever you decide

Miffy xx

The Juggler
17-06-2009, 07:02 AM
There's lots of people looking for 2 or 3 days at the moment so I don't think you would have many problems filling the other days.

Schnakes
17-06-2009, 07:34 AM
No - when I had part timers they all managed to slot magically into place!

The only thing is - its just sooooooo long away. If you did go for it I would charge a retainer.

Also - two days a week at just 7 months is going to be hard work...I would still wait and see what else comes along, personally.

Sx

Tippy Toes
17-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Thanks everyone! Very helpfull as always. She is coming around on Tuesday to have a look and talk more. Whatever happens it is experience for me as only the 2nd lot of parents I have had for a visit! :o

Chatterbox Childcare
17-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Have a good think about what you want for your business. Would you be happy to keep a child 1 day a week if a full timer came along and would you give notice or would you wait for a 4 day a week to come along? think about the child too.

I find that all my part timers slot together so I would take the baby on

Schnakes
17-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Would you be happy to keep a child 1 day a week if a full timer came along

I have looked after one of mine, Fridays only since she was 6 months old...its a pain in the butt cos she blocks a full time space but I can never bring myself to get rid of her!! No matter how inconvinient the hours might be and no matter how many families I have had to turn away! :) (Shes two now)

Its up to you though...I know a childminder who would have got rid of her a long time ago because her business is there to make her money, not be a softie. Fair enough, I guess.

Sx