PDA

View Full Version : Rear Facing Car Seats

helenlc
16-06-2009, 08:09 PM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090612/tuk-rear-facing-seats-safe-until-four-6323e80.html

I remember reading before (and I think it was on here) about children being safer being in rear facing seats until they are 4. This article backs this up.

So I have a 2, 3, and 4 year that I have all on one day (today actually) - so am I supposed to follow suggested guide lines and have rear facing seats for them all for optimum safety?

Just curious about others' points of view.................

~Chelle~
16-06-2009, 08:34 PM
Rear facing car seat for a 4 year old? Where would their legs go??

Have never of heard of having rear facing car seats for children over a year old - am I being dumb here?

nannymcflea
16-06-2009, 08:35 PM
You try and find a large rear facing seat that fits in a normal size car! My dd grew out of her seat at a very young age, I wasn't happy putting her in a forward facing so young so we traipsed around trying to find one...the only one you can get (this was 6 years ago!)was a seat for a child with disabilities that virtually took up the back seat of our then small car.

Yes it is better as the impact is taken down the spine and not the neck but practically wise it's a no go...shame.

Roseolivia
17-06-2009, 06:55 AM
There is a website somewhere that has photos of these seats and they look huge. They go right up against the front seats and doesn't look very comfy.

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 07:14 AM
i was reading something about this the other day and the AA blokey was saying that while its safer its not pratical for older children (ideally up to the age of 10) - as already said - where would their legs go! Suppose we could fold the kids in half.

Lady Haha
17-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Yes, I read the other thread about this and it doesn't seem practical at all! Why don't the powers that be just redesign cars altogether with ALL the passenger seats facing backwards!:laughing: