PDA

View Full Version : School drop offs and coolections ?

loobyloo168
16-06-2009, 06:42 PM
How many children do we drop off or collect from school ??

The reason i ask is that as of september i will be dropping off 1 (4 yrs) in the morning and collecting three 3, 4 and 5 yrs) in the afternoon. But iv been asked to have another 2 who are 8 & 10.

Its not very busy where i live and where there is a main road there is a proper traffic light crossing.

I myself dont really want the older ones as i have the younger ones to look after, but my DH says im mad to turn it down as its not thats busy traffic wise where we live.

So was just wondering how many children other childminders pick up or drop off especially ones that walk xxxx

littletreasures
16-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I sometimes collect 5 from school and have a 3 year old mindee as well so walk 6 back to the car (school is too far for me to walk to)

A minder at the school I collect from sometimes has 9 or 10 and walks nearly a mile home with them. (all under 11)

mushpea
16-06-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a 19mtn old,3yrold , 5yrold, 6yrold, 8yrold and 10yrold on school drop off then added to the above a 2yrold on pick ups 2 days a week, I dont think its the drop ofss and pick ups its the going out in the school hols, can you cope with them all, do you have room in the car if you drive or if not are the plenty of things to do within walking distance, things like this are what stops me from taking on more.

loobyloo168
16-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow really ?? I have though about it and safety wise i thinks is viable. But when i did my training my mentor said they get a lot of calls from other cm's complaining about other cm's and the amount of kids there picking and means they have to do visits all the time checking that there not over there registered numbers ? xx

I sometimes collect 5 from school and have a 3 year old mindee as well so walk 6 back to the car (school is too far for me to walk to)

A minder at the school I collect from sometimes has 9 or 10 and walks nearly a mile home with them. (all under 11)

sarah707
16-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Tuesday is my busy day... I take 2 children to school with 3 under 5s in tow.

I pick up 3 with the same 3 under 5s still with me!

The 3 are all out of Eyfs though - 5, 6 and 10 and I have dp here when I get back.

I'm not sure how it would work if I was on my own with that many, I can only do it because I have support. :D

I was saying to dp before that I am waiting for someone to count heads and call Ofsted :rolleyes:

littletreasures
16-06-2009, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't feel safe walking any more than 6 kids. The ones I have are really good and well behaved, but it doesn't take much does it?

Mine are 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 years.

loobyloo168
16-06-2009, 07:09 PM
I live right in the town center, theres a zoo at the bottom of the town (about 1/4 mile) and the towns mainly pedestrionised (sp?). Theres the library and museum all the same distance, and theres a massive park right by the school (which i dont go to in the holiday anyway as its sooooo busy). Theres also an indoor play area a stones throw away aswell. and our gardens big enough for the aswell.

My road is really quiet and we walk across the green to get to the only main road between us and the school and theres a pedestrian crossing there. So i suppose it is doable, i though OFSTED would moan about it i suppose ?

Obviously if i drove i wouldnt be able to have that many but i dont.

I have a 19mtn old,3yrold , 5yrold, 6yrold, 8yrold and 10yrold on school drop off then added to the above a 2yrold on pick ups 2 days a week, I dont think its the drop ofss and pick ups its the going out in the school hols, can you cope with them all, do you have room in the car if you drive or if not are the plenty of things to do within walking distance, things like this are what stops me from taking on more.

loobyloo168
16-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Do you walk with them Sarah ?

I know its happening alot around here, others counting heads and reporting back.

But i suppose of you risk assess it and your within your numbers your ok ?

My little girl is nearly 3 and iv always taught her road safety as she hasnt been in a buggy for ages now, she does is naturally now and says out loud about waiting for the green man and waiting for all the cars to go or stop before we cross.

And its one of the first things we do when new ones come to us anyway, firedrill, houserules, road safety etc.

Tuesday is my busy day... I take 2 children to school with 3 under 5s in tow.

I pick up 3 with the same 3 under 5s still with me!

The 3 are all out of Eyfs though - 5, 6 and 10 and I have dp here when I get back.

I'm not sure how it would work if I was on my own with that many, I can only do it because I have support. :D

I was saying to dp before that I am waiting for someone to count heads and call Ofsted :rolleyes:

uf353432
16-06-2009, 07:20 PM
My busy day is Thursdays. I have 2 x 1 yr old a 3 yr old and an 8 & 9 yr old. I live in a village, the school is in a village and I have to walk home mainly unpavemented village roads - which are quite busy at school pick up time and across a busy A road with no crossing.

Thats the max I would want on any day to be honest - 3 walkers and 2 in the buggy. The youngest holds onto the buggy and the rule for the older ones is to always walk on the inside of the buggy and they cannot cross the road until I give the go ahead. Its all good fun though, as long as you are clear on the rules and have appropriate restraints for the ages where applicable you should be fine - but you have to be comfortable.

mushpea
16-06-2009, 09:39 PM
I guess its really down to what you feel safe doing, the two eldest are my own and know the routine and i know i can trust them to stick to rules, one is in the buggy with the 3yrold holding on, the 6yrold is really sensible for her age although i wouldnt trust her with road sense yet obviously but she does walk next to me and the 5 ryold has just started with me so is learning the rules, the only thing with him is he will drag behind and i have to keep reminding him that he should be beside me or infront of me cause i cant stand having to look behind for one child then infront for another, i end up dizzy:D
maybe thats another thing is rules, I have points for them to run to then they must stop and wait for me, like a lamp post or a certain bush, its always then same points so they know what they are doing each time, if they dont stop and wain then they arent allowed to run ahead, I also have the rule that they must stay beside me or infront of me, the younger ones wear flourcesnt tops and i am quite strict when out.
i dont think i would want to take on more but then again once you get to know the children and know their ways and how much you can trust them then it gets easier.

The Juggler
16-06-2009, 09:53 PM
I have one day with 7 altogether. 2 are nearly 10, two are 7 then I have

3 (nearly 4)

It's doable as long as you're not in a rush to walk home!

Daftbat
17-06-2009, 06:38 AM
I regularly walk home from school with 9 or 10 children. Its only 1/3 of a mile so only takes us about five minutes. Most of them are over 8 yrs so are fully able to walk back in an orderly fashion, the younger ones hold my hand or on to the buggy if i have it with me.

I find schools method of getting them to form a crocodile line works brilliantly if they start to wander. We use a pelican crossing at one point but they are all really well behaved. Most of the children have been with me for years so they know the routine and the older ones still wait to cross side roads when i have given the all clear even if they are 11 yrs old! I get called the pied piper by some parents and they are always asking how i manage to make it look so easy.