PDA

View Full Version : I feel ''on show'' all the time

Blackhorse
16-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Since I started advertising for childminding

I have posters up in local shops and I also have a bag on the pushchair (thanks brillminder..)
I also tell a lot of people that I am minding at mothers and toddlers where I go to with my dd

I think people will look at my shoes, what I am wearing, how I talk to my dd, what we do...all these kinds of things

do you feel the same sometimes? does it get better??

Zoomie
16-06-2009, 03:19 PM
I feel like I am on show all the time too.

However, I don't care what my clothes and shoes look like. As long as I am dressed and decent, who cares ?

I do worry a little bit about my huge puffy red eyes, as I am suffering from hayfever at the mo, and of course I do make sure I am nice the to children and don't scream and shout at that like a mad woman.

Of course, I do have to show that I do let the children out of the stair cupboard, at least once in a while :laughing: :laughing:

chewy sweets
16-06-2009, 03:23 PM
you're not alone. I've thought now that people are starting to hear about my childminding people will judge how i am with my little one. e.g. when i'm out shopping and he's having a tantrum because he wants to run around.
Try not to worry about it. No one's perfect! I'm not registered yet and realise that i'm not going to find it easy! It's all about learning to manage things!

Playmate
16-06-2009, 03:31 PM
I think its something you get used to in time. After 16 years I'm oblivious to it now!

grindal
16-06-2009, 03:35 PM
I felt like that, and also that my house was constantly on show every time I had a prospective parent coming round. it did however make me keep my house tidy and I did loads of arts and crafts with my 2 boys and stuck them all over the house with dates on to prove it!! :laughing:

wellybelly
16-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I once dropped a mindee off at a childrens birthday party and my own daughter who was 7 at the time was tired/hungry/hot whatever had a full on tantrum in the entrace foyer of where the party was. I told her to stop being silly and to get in the car, firmly to the point and in front of other parents (how embarrasing). The next day, comments got back to me that I was a terrible person for doing that because I was a childminder.

I am entitiled to be a mum aswell as a childminder and I will dicipline my own children which way I see fit. I do feel on show all the time but am getting used to it.

Blaze
16-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Welcome to living in a goldfish bowl!:rolleyes:

TheBTeam
16-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes I feel constantly on show, especially when we are out with just family, even more conscious now it is the both of us, cos dh doesn't always have his professional head on!!:eek:

Pudding Girl
16-06-2009, 05:38 PM
yes n more than ever today as they had their official hats on - and wouldn't you know it one ran off in a shop today, with said hat on and I felt this small just as wrell I have the lurgy and no voice so I couldn't shout at her! :rolleyes:

Polly2
16-06-2009, 06:26 PM
I totally know what you mean!

I go to a toddler group and there are friends of my mindees mum who go. Sometimes I can feel their eyes in the back of my head!

I am convinced they are reporting back to mum!! Paranoid I know :rolleyes:

I know stuff goes back because mum has said stuff at times - all good so far but it makes me so nervous! Seriously considering not going but that wouldn't be good I need to get out of house :panic:

charleyfarley
16-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Yep after 10 years of minding I still feel the same infact more so now.

I even tell hubby to watch what he does and says as my car is full of adverts, hubby calls me paranoid but you just never know.

Carol xx

angeldelight
16-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Yep after 10 years of minding I still feel the same infact more so now.

I even tell hubby to watch what he does and says as my car is full of adverts, hubby calls me paranoid but you just never know.

Carol xx

See poor Daz again

:laughing: :laughing:

xxx

charleyfarley
16-06-2009, 07:00 PM
See poor Daz again

:laughing: :laughing:

xxx

I see now, you are the member of his fan club :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

angeldelight
16-06-2009, 07:00 PM
I see now, you are the member of his fan club :laughing: :laughing:

Carol xx

Well its obvious he needs support from someone

Angel xx

uf353432
17-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Yep I feel on show - at home, at the park, at groups, on school runs - but to be honest I don't do what I do with the kids for an act for other parents - its just who I am. The parents who want to use me - will see that I echo their style and be drawn to it. I think personally a parent will be thrilled that you can be a person of authority as well a playmate - and most parents will think that their kids are a pain in the bum and be grateful that you get through the day not stashing them in a cupboard until hometime :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
17-06-2009, 07:24 AM
I wish I had a sign to say that I am off-duty and I am an ordinary run of the mill harrassed mother and I am allowed to have a meltdown at my kids when they are behaving monstrously!:D

Again luckily at our toddler group they are all so friendly and admiring (!!! lol) of me as a childminder! lol
School and soft play is where I feel on show. I try not to hang out with the minders I wouldn't leave my bin bag with - they have such a horrid rep that I will not be tarred with the same brush.

Bushpig
17-06-2009, 07:42 AM
I feel on show the most in front of my sister! But then she's my sharpest critic and likes to comment on the tea I am serving, the breakfast I (I!!!) I am eating etc. She's always been like this, miss know-it-all. I love her very much but heck she knows EVERYTHING .... my mindees are FAR better behaved than her two by the way... maybe she doesn't like it that I tell her youngest not to jump on my furniture... ;)

I feel on show in front of some groups, but one I go to relaxed and welcoming and I don't feel on show there at all. When on the bus or in the shop though I do feel parents watch me to see responses etc. Britain (generally) certainly is a watchful society, like Big Brother watching all the time :cool:

nannis1980
17-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I can so relate to that feeling, I feel like other minders already registered are looking to see how I am with my child....I know they are most likely not, but feel like im being watched! x