PDA

View Full Version : Children scared of everything and getting worse

sarah32
16-06-2009, 12:04 PM
I have 2 siblings which are 2.1/2 and 3/1.2 and they are scared of everything.

From flys, butterflys, all bugs in general. Im doing a minbeast theme this month and its not got any better, they just scream.

Any animals, rabbits, cats, especially dogs and I have 2 large dogs, they will walk past them as long as they are behind a gate but still wont touch them.

Can be really timid with people but im slowly getting there with them on this one. If we go to a group they stick together.

Ive never known children like it. This is just some of the things they are scared with.

Older one with be no longer with me from Spetember and I think it will do younger sibling good to be on his own as follows his sister everywhere.

Does anyone else experience this. I try to not make a big thing about it when they get scared of something as they get worse.

haribo
16-06-2009, 12:42 PM
i find kids who are scared of insects usually get it from their parents who make a huge fuss when a bee or wasp comes near . i try and let them see its nothing to be scared of by keeping calm and not making a fuss . ive not really had any kids this timid, are the family like this in general as it can be a family characteristic .. do they get out and about much ? how about getting some of those eggs ive heard about on here to hatch out , they may see the butterflies as less threatening if they see how they begin life . or make a wormery or keep some woodlice in a tank for a bit ( yuck ) for them to look at from a distance .. not sure really but not much fun for you in summer if they scream at every insect :panic: hope they get over it for your sake as well as theirs x

sarah32
16-06-2009, 01:01 PM
today was a nightmare as there was a fly in the house while we were eating lunch, they were screaming, I told them it was nothing to worry about and tried to knock it away but they wouldnt listen and that was lunch done.

They are scared of dogs because of their dad, he doesnt even come in my house. When they bark he runs so thats where they got that from.

But its like they've never seen animals before, even a kitten in the street the other day they were both screaming and older one ran.

Dont know what to do:(

The Juggler
16-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I have a child who does this. If she sees one, screams and cries but if we spot one and she runs away I go and look and talk about what it's doing and how tiny it is and she usually comes and looks with me. She is getting a lot better.

Worth a try, just look at lots of them in the garden, use magnifying glasses or those little tubs.

Pipsqueak
16-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I is quite timid - she is pretty scared of many things - the rain, thunder, noises, slides, running, sand, sea, (the beach visit was a nightmare) etc. She gets quite hysterical abWe are working on many of these things just by being consistent and encouraging - acknowledging it frightens her helps but also explaining to her why its ok and not something to be scared of.

We had a mega breakthough at soft play - she actually went down the big blue slide all by herself the other day - I was so proud. We got round the thunder yesterday by likening it to my two eldest running up and down the stairs (we done demonstrations!!!! my poor neighbours lol).

Mum has no idea where it all comes from and is really glad that I am working on it.

angeldelight
16-06-2009, 07:22 PM
The kids all sound a bit like me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

haribo
17-06-2009, 09:34 AM
The kids all sound a bit like me :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Angel xx

haha angel im sure you hide it well though :laughing: :laughing: i remember once one of my cats brought a dead mouse in i dont mind them alive but dead :eek: i cant bear them . had a lad of 12 here and had to ask him to pick it up in a bag and throw it out :blush: he was so chuffed and proud of himself but i hope he never told his mum :laughing:

FizzysFriends
17-06-2009, 09:48 AM
I have one that is scared of flys, bees, any instects. There was a greenfly on her yestarday and she screamed and screamed. We were at the park and I was in the middle of helping a 1yr old climb up the climbing frame so couldn't immediatly get to her.

angeldelight
17-06-2009, 10:02 AM
haha angel im sure you hide it well though :laughing: :laughing: i remember once one of my cats brought a dead mouse in i dont mind them alive but dead :eek: i cant bear them . had a lad of 12 here and had to ask him to pick it up in a bag and throw it out :blush: he was so chuffed and proud of himself but i hope he never told his mum :laughing:

Very funny

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

xxx

Toothfairy
17-06-2009, 11:50 AM
I have twin boy mindees of 2yrs old, they both scream and cry;

When I put the hoover on!
When I use the hand dryer in the public loo's!
When we sing row row the boat and the lion roars!
When they see a shower!
If an Ambulance/police car goes past with siren on!
When they see a fly/ant/daddy longlegs/spider!

Is this a boys thing?

sarah32
17-06-2009, 12:18 PM
God, I thought mine were scared of everything.

Not a boy thing, girl mindee thats 3.1/2 is the worse

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Sorry but this made me really laugh!

Although we don't have a lion in our version...........??

ORKSIE
17-06-2009, 12:33 PM

Toothfairy,
I dont know this part of the song.
I know "If you see a crocodile"
I didnt realise there was a version about a lion.
Can you please tell me the words, or sing them if you wish:rolleyes:
Thanks X

Toothfairy
17-06-2009, 01:39 PM

Row, row, row the boat,
gently to the shore,
if you see a lion
don't forget to roar Rrrrrroooooaaaarrrrrr!!!! :D

sarah32
17-06-2009, 01:43 PM
and polar bear dont forget to shiver.:laughing:

Minstrel
17-06-2009, 03:18 PM

Row, row, row the boat,
gently to the shore,
if you see a lion
don't forget to roar Rrrrrroooooaaaarrrrrr!!!! :D

oh very good i like that

and the polar bear too- i take it thats down the river?

nice one girls. :thumbsup:

Louise_Oaktree
17-06-2009, 05:57 PM
oh very good i like that

and the polar bear too- i take it thats down the river?

nice one girls. :thumbsup:

We sing "Jelly Fish" and "Quiver" :laughing: