PDA

View Full Version : back to potatoes (sorry)

sweets
15-06-2009, 08:40 PM
I know this has been discussed before but i can't find the thread. When did we agree to harvesting potatoes?
I planted some with mindees in a compost bag, i read somewhere that you harvest them when the flowers have dropped off,but mine have never flowered! They are very BIG though and as i want small new potatoes from them should i burst the bag now or wait a bit longer?:panic:

I'm dying to see what they are like!

fionamal
15-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Ours flowered and have started to drop off so hubby dug up one of them today and we got 8 decent sized tatties of if, they tasted great as well.

Will dig up the rest during the week.

Deb
15-06-2009, 09:45 PM
They will flower! Depends when you planted them and what sorts you planted. Mine havent flowered yet and dh moved one plant and they tate were tiny teeny. Have patience!

sweets
15-06-2009, 09:49 PM
the very top of the shoots have gone a bit scabby and spotty! hope they are ok will be gutted if they are not:(

Peppa
16-06-2009, 05:55 AM
no flowers her either! they look at bit dead actually! :eek:

singlewiththree
16-06-2009, 06:17 AM
I planted mine about 2 weeks before the rest of you and my leaves are spotty and scatty too and no flowers so I might have to check mine too.

sweets
16-06-2009, 06:46 AM
Think i might try and have a peek this aft, will let you know if its potatoes for tea!:laughing:

Donkey
16-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I think the 'new potatoes' dont flower, well my 15 or so tubs of new have not flowered!

I have lifted 2 lots so far and still very small, trying to be patient with the rest.

I have flower buds on my 'main crop' though. :)

think the official date is around mid june for the comp

ajs
23-06-2009, 03:26 PM
the official date is today isn't it
i planted mine in the beds in the garden and even though there were no flowers the potatoes look very big. i don't know whether to dig them up today or not

venus89
23-06-2009, 04:35 PM
the official date is today isn't it
i planted mine in the beds in the garden and even though there were no flowers the potatoes look very big. i don't know whether to dig them up today or not

I have the official date down as today in my diary (:blush: ) but planted mine a coule of days late so will dig a bit late. I've never grown potatoes before so rather interested to see what will happen......

manjay
23-06-2009, 04:38 PM
I didn't get the free ones but chitted and planted the same day as everyone else. I have dug up one bag today and have about 25 potatoes. Just the right size too:thumbsup:

venus89
23-06-2009, 04:39 PM
I didn't get the free ones but chitted and planted the same day as everyone else. I have dug up one bag today and have about 25 potatoes. Just the right size too:thumbsup:

:clapping: sounds perfect.
I'm doing roast chicken for dinner Thursda night so might dig up mine then....

flora
23-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Not all varieties flower.

If the green leaves are dying off then carefully use a trowel to have a peek.

If they are teeny tiny cover them up well as they will go green and not be any good :(

Otherwise I would have a dig up and see what you got :laughing:

Saranotts
23-06-2009, 06:25 PM
We dug our 4 bags up yesterday and got about 70 potato's ranging from tiny to some that were the size of a satsuma. I steamed some of them and we had them for tea tonight and they were yummy.

Sara

Chell
23-06-2009, 08:17 PM
When did you all plant your potatoes? I think I put my first lot in the week after Easter. I noticed one plant is about to flower.