PDA

View Full Version : Giving Up Childminding ?

christinajanep
15-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi,
I have decided i am going to stop childminding,
My husband and i are building our own house and i have decided i dont want it taking over that house as it has done the house i currently live in.

For many years i have wanted to start up my own nursery but for financial reasons i could never afford to do it.

I am due to finish my level 3 in July and my plan is to get a job in a nursery to get a feel for how they run things and then to start up by myself.

Do u think i am barmy and throwing it all away ?
Has anyone else looked into setting up by themselves.

I am very very nervous but also excited at the challenge of offering something different to parents ?

Feedback is welcome negative or positive
christina
x:)

Pipsqueak
15-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Nothing ventured nothing gain and how excited.

You are making a change and sometimes I think that gives you a perspective on things and its sometimes the right time to go for it.

Wishing you all the luck in the world:clapping:

LOOPYLISA
15-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Good luck :thumbsup:

hectors house
15-06-2009, 03:47 PM
Can understand that you want to have a house that is yours and not a constant reminder of work - I didn't even manage to find the dining room table under paperwork this weekend - I normally try to put it all away but this morning realised it was still out from Friday!

Have you checked with local nurseries whether they may need staff before you give notice to all the childminded children, just thinking of your income - Nurseries in my area seem to be employing bank staff as a way of cutting back and not advertising full time jobs.

Good luck whatever you do - I came back from my holiday 2 weeks ago and straight away looked on the job centre website - I had my Ofsted inspection at the end of March and seem to have lost my enthusiasium.

Chimps Childminding
15-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Can understand that you want to have a house that is yours and not a constant reminder of work -
I had my Ofsted inspection at the end of March and seem to have lost my enthusiasium.

I agree, I would love to be doing this job, just somewhere else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although its handy being at home, I do get fed up of my house looking like a nursery, and I also try and put things away at the week-end, but then spend what feels like hours sunday evening getting it all back out ready for Monday morning!!!!!!!!

I also had my inspection a few weeks ago, and I must admit I have started to let things slip a bit since then, and don't really have the enthusiasm I had!!! Just hoping it comes back soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Playmate
15-06-2009, 04:31 PM
Mick and I would love to open our own small nursery, just haven't got the funds to put into it. The lady who lives next door to us has really let her house go to pot, we would love to buy it do it up as a nursery, then we would have the best of both worlds!
Good luck in your veture!!

The Juggler
15-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Building your own house, how exciting for you. I envy you starting up on your own - it'll be hard work but worth it. You might find the nursery salary lacking and the shifts long but it'll be good experience for setting up on your own. Remember you'll have to have a member of staff with EYP so you might want to carry on and do that too so you don't have to pay someone else to do that job.

Best of luck

Chatterbox Childcare
15-06-2009, 04:44 PM
I think we can all understand what you are going through.

I cannot say whether it is a good or bad move but would have to consider both sides - are you currently giving up a good income when you move would be my main question? If not what have you got to lose?

Hope you are happy whichever you decide

ORKSIE
15-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Building your own home, how fantastic:)
What ever decision you come to I an wishing you loads of Good Luck:)

FizzysFriends
15-06-2009, 05:29 PM
I have the opposite, I have the funding for a nursery but no qualifications, nor any clue about how to do it (have the business side covered but not the nursery specific side), hence why I haven't done it.

If I could employ Sarah to be the manager to get it off the ground I would do it!

Blackhorse
15-06-2009, 05:47 PM
I would research the jobmarket first and see if there are any nursery jobs out there.
Also, just in case, would it be worthwhile not to give up your registration yet?
even if nurseries only have part time job, you could do part time childminding and part time nursery for a while to see which one you like better and then decide..(a lot of work I guess, but at least then you know for sure..)

Good luck with whatever you decide!:thumbsup:

georgie456
15-06-2009, 06:47 PM
I have no advice but just wanted to wish you lots of luck!!!

flora
15-06-2009, 07:01 PM
I have no advice but just wanted to wish you lots of luck!!!

ditto xx x x

jibberjitz
15-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Only you can make that decision but I hope it all works out for you :thumbsup:

Demonjill
15-06-2009, 07:38 PM
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep us posted!:thumbsup:

sue
15-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Good luck hope it all works out for you

Tippy Toes
15-06-2009, 09:41 PM
If you dont go for it you will never know and always wonder 'what if'

Go for it! Good luck x :)

christinajanep
16-06-2009, 08:21 AM
thankyou for all your kind words, i'm quite lucky as i have always been full since i started so my salary is okay. I have looked at the nurseries in my area and there are some jobs going but i want to be careful where i work, i know some of the nurseries have really poor standards - (found this out when i went to college and some of the younger ones working there were very forth coming with information) so dont want to go somewhere that has lower standards than what i practice in my own home and pls dont think i'm being a snob when i say that :o, I am almost finished on my level 3 and start my degree later this yr which i'll carry on when i finish.

I also have to stop as getting a self build mortgage when self employed is seriously hard but once its built there will be capital in it to start my nursery (we were very lucky to be given the land its being built on).

I promised my husband when i started this it wouldn't take over my house and it really has, and come the weekends i cant relax as my work and reminder of what i do is everywhere. I worked friggin hard to get my outstanding with ofsted (i went from satisfactory in 16months) and kind of sad to give it up but hopefully this will work with me in setting up by myself :)