PDA

View Full Version : Fathers day, yes or no?

sweets
15-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I see from posts that there has been a bit of tak about making fathers day cards, i have'nt been minding that long but was thinking wether to make them or not!
Do you not think that its up to the childrens mothers to make one with their child? i think i would be a bit upset if my child came home from their minders with one for their dad as i'd like to make it myself with them. I know they could give dads 2 cards, but the one made with CM might be better as they have more time, it would make me feel a bit inadaquet (sorry can't spell it).

Just wondered if there anyone not making anything with mindees?

angeldelight
15-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I think it is up to you

Does it matter though if a parent makes a card and you do too ? It would not hurt to have two would it ?

Mom might not have time to make a card so maybe would appreciate you making one with the children

At our local school they have been making them and they havent thought to ask if mom is making one so I think its a bit like that for us minders

I dont think its stepping on anyones toes I just think its a nice idea and it shows what their child can do - they might do something different to what they would do with mom but I really do not think a card could be bigger or better if it is from your own child every card would be important because it is made by their child

But if you dont want to make one that does not matter either

Angel xx

michellethegooner
15-06-2009, 08:15 AM
None of my parents have ever complained and actually one of them actually asks me if we will be making something with 'A' for dads b/day, xmas, fathers day etc as then she doesnt have too, :rolleyes:
And surely if we didnt make fathers day cards dads would feel left out after all we make mothers day, xmas, Easter, etc

I remember when my 2 used to make stuff at nursery/school I was always pleased, didnt matter if they made 2/ 3 cards. Each one was always as special

christinajanep
15-06-2009, 10:09 AM
i make them with my minded children, we make them for mother's day and give mum flowers, dont you think dad will feel left out if he doesnt get one ? after all he's just as important as mum ?

Daftbat
15-06-2009, 10:21 AM
I am making them - in fact just been sorting out some templates for a design this morning as i have no children till lunchtime.

FizzysFriends
15-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes I will be doing it, it seems a shame to celebrate everything else but not father's day.

wendywu
15-06-2009, 10:31 AM
My dads end up with about 5 each. Four from toddler groups and one we make at home.:laughing:

sweets
15-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I feel the same about mothers day as well! i am not just leaving dads out lol.
I think i will do something with them, but maybe not a card, (will leave that for their mums). I might make some of the yummy sounding fudge that someone has posted about.
:laughing:

charleyfarley
15-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Yes we will definatley be making fathers day cards here, I think it's nice to make a fuss of both parents at these times.

I think I ended up with 5 mothers day cards from 3 children as Charley and Mitchell both made them at school /pre school, I loved everyone of them :thumbsup:

Carol xx

FizzysFriends
15-06-2009, 10:34 AM
I feel the same about mothers day as well! i am not just leaving dads out lol.
I think i will do something with them, but maybe not a card, (will leave that for their mums). I might make some of the yummy sounding fudge that someone has posted about.
:laughing:

What if moms just buy a card though, its so much nicer to have a made one, even if they do get lots.

Jules27
15-06-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm not making cards - instead i've founda fathers day poem am using that - kids will do handprints on it and then will be laminated.:) Done one this morning and mum was really pleased with it on pick up then asked WHEN fathers day was!!! lol!!:laughing:

miss mopple
15-06-2009, 12:51 PM
In my experience mums are grateful as it saves them having to sort one!

Chatterbox Childcare
15-06-2009, 12:53 PM
How many mums actually have the time to do it. We are making cards tomorrow from a tie cut out painted and decorated.

Nicki L
15-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I am making cards and bookmarks. I know they are making coasters at our local toddler group this week.

Mouse
15-06-2009, 01:37 PM
None of my mindees mums would have the time or inclination to make a card!
I have a list of their family birthdays and we make cards for mums, dads, grannies & grandads. I even have them asking me to make new baby cards, anniversary cards etc. The children love doing them & the mums are always very grateful.

If you're concerned that you may be stepping on mum's toes, all you have to do is ask her whether or not she wants you to make one.

Bushpig
15-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Yip, we're making cards, also doing the tie thing Debbie :)
And a fishing activity too. :thumbsup:

John
15-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I'll be making them too as we do them for mums why should dads not get a card made from the child's childminder.

John.

Chimps Childminding
15-06-2009, 04:40 PM
I'm doing cards with the older ones and poem/handprint for the two babies. I have to admit I don't do parents/grandparents birthdays etc, just mother's day, father's day, easter and christmas!!!!! and any festivals that we are doing!!!!

jibberjitz
15-06-2009, 07:12 PM
I dont think it matters as its about the child having fun and being creative. We've been making them today and have to say that they were c**p so I dont think the mum has anything to worry about :laughing:

Lady Haha
16-06-2009, 09:33 AM
I'm glad this subject came up cos we are making cards this week, although now we might do 'gifts' instead just in case mum has bought a card already.

I have on mindee whose dad died four years ago when she was one, but she talks about him regularly. My first thought was to just do the cards on a day she isn't with us, but then I started feeling like I was excluding her. This played on my mind for a few days and finally I rang her mum yesterday to talk about it. I explained the above, saying I felt really awkward and that I knew it was very delicate and asked what she would like me to do. She said it was a lovely idea and I could tell her daughter that although she couldnt' give dad the card, he could see her making it. She also said they were going to visit him this weekend so she could take the card with her. I'm so glad I rang and gave mum the choice before just deciding to not include her daughter. I think it will be the most moving card making experience I will have ever had!

Pipsqueak
16-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Two of my mindees don't have dads who are present so I talked to the mums and said we'd make a 'special man' card and they can choose who to give it to (mums partner, grandparent, neighbour etc) and my other mindee loves making the cards although we do two - one for dad and the other for mums other half.

I think if you are ever in doubt - talk to the parent(s). Quickest way to find out what the parents want/don't mind.

Schools, nurseries, playgroups, toddler groups, childminders have been mass producing homemade cards for special events (mums day, dads day etc) for years and years and years. I have never had a complaint from any of my mindees parents nor when my own kids have bought something back. (Hey if the parents aren't appreciative they can always bin it:rolleyes: ) Plus thats what the parents are choosing us for - the home from home element of us stepping into the breach of them not being there, so to speak. I would say 99% of parents ADORE the homemade bits n bobs and not many of them would feel that us minders are stepping on their toes.